Re: Herringbone wool

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2004
      > Woolen is the second main category of wool cloth. It is carded
      rather
      > than combed fiber so that the arrangements of the fibers is
      > randomized.

      Okay, I'm a very beginning spinner, but is the difference between
      worsted and woolen in the carding/combing or in the spinning? I took
      a spinning class and was told that the difference comes from how the
      wool is pulled from the roving into the spinning, not how the roving
      itself is made (which is what you do when you card or comb). Anyone
      more experienced at this who can give me an answer?

      I have to say, spinning can be lots of fun. I even got to use 4 inch
      Viking combs to comb the wool and make the roving. Once you've seen
      the combs, you can see how women would use them as weapons. Yikes!

      Isabeau