  • gillianofdarkmoon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 6, 2004
      I have an online aquaintance who has some questions about garb. I
      referred her here, but she does not have a Yahoo ID, so I told her I
      would ask for her. I have copied her query below.

      > I have a few questions about garb authenticity.

      > First, my sideless surcoat ended up being a bit longer than
      expected. I have been looking at pictures of paintings around the
      net to see how long the sideless was, but with little luck. Any
      ideas on how much longer than floor length it was?

      > Secondly, through my image-looking I have been trying to look
      for fingernail length. Reason being is that i am currently wearing
      fake nails to try to stop a nail biting habit. i can easily take the
      nails off and just put them back on after twelfth night. My persona
      in middle/merchant class.

      I have some costuming books, but I don't know if they are accurate
      as far as length. One person told her she should be able to kick
      the sideless in front of her as she walked. Is that correct?

      Any advice or directions to resources would be appreciated.

      Thank you,
      Lady Gillian of Darkmoon
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "gillianofdarkmoon"
        <gilliangordon@c...> wrote:
        > > First, my sideless surcoat ended up being a bit longer
        than
        > expected. I have been looking at pictures of paintings around the
        > net to see how long the sideless was, but with little luck. Any
        > ideas on how much longer than floor length it was?
        Here's the link to the stuff I have:
        http://www.geocities.com/wodeford/sideless_surcote.htm
        The Luttrell family portrait shows the ladies wearing sidelesses
        which hit the floor in the front and have a train in back. I believe
        the pelotte of Leonora de Castilla's pelotte was all one length.
        (Diarmid? You did a reconstruction drawing of it.)

        There's an old saying that the Queen of Spain has no feet. A sideless
        surcoat is a court gown, not a working dress. It should be long
        enough to brush the floor in the front. A train is optional.

        > > Secondly, through my image-looking I have been trying to look
        > for fingernail length. Reason being is that i am currently wearing
        > fake nails to try to stop a nail biting habit.

        You haven't said what period you're looking at specifically, but this
        15th century Mary Magdalen by Van Der Weyden has short, neat nails:
        http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/weyden/magdalen.jpg

        Hope this helps,
        Jehanne de Wodeford, West
      • Gillian Gordon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 6, 2004
          Hope this helps,
          Jehanne de Wodeford, West

          Thank you very much, it was very helpful and I will pass the information along.

          Gillian