St Cernin misericord

  • Lena Strid
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
      I've just mailed Tangwystyl about this, but I figured there may be more people interested out there.

      I've found the provenance for the St Cernin misericord (the girl putting on braies). It's in the St Cernin church in
      France, in the Chantal department/province. It was originally in St Chamant church, which was demolished in
      1808 (p. 187: "The collegiate church of St-Chamant was demolished in 1808 when it was still, reportedly, in
      perfect preservation. Happily, the stalls had already been moved out, part going to the village parish, the rest to
      two other churches in the vicinity, St-Cernin and St-Illide."). So, it seems as the question whether there is a male
      figure connected to the female one, will remain unanswered. *some disappointed grumbling* The source, with
      a picture of the misericord on p.114, is D. & H. Krause. 1975. The hidden world of misericords. Geroge Braziller;
      New York. ISBN: 0-8076-0804-1.

      Lena

      If I am ever a Romance Heroine, I will not:

      23. Struggle futilely to break free from the hero's punishing embrace before being overcome with desire. Either I
      want him, in which case I should not be fighting, or I don't want him, in which case I should break his nose, foot,
      finger, and anything else handy. Enough with the wimpy struggles.

      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm
    • Hrothny/Rosine
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2004
        > . . . is D. & H. Krause. 1975. The hidden world of misericords.
        > Geroge Braziller; New York. ISBN: 0-8076-0804-1.
        >
        > Lena

        Oh, that's a fun book! There was more than one photo in there that needed
        sharing with craftsmen in my area. (Although it was also a sad book,
        documenting, as it does, so much destruction. Thank goodness those photos
        exist.)

        Hróðny
        --
        I am willing to make the mistakes if someone else
        is willing to learn from them. nothingbutadame@...