Re: [Authentic_SCA] Armor question

  • Tom Knighton
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
      My answer to this question is to look at it this way. How would your
      persona have solved the problem of SCA legality in relation to armour with
      thier materials. This avoids the "If they'd have had it, they'd have used
      it" arguement since they DID have it, they just didn't need to do it this
      way.

      As for plastic being used exposed, that is a major criticism of the SCA by
      many other historical groups. If you can tell it's plastic, then it should
      be kept hidden. There are some plastic lamellar plates out there that look
      a lot like different types of metal (I personally like the bronze colored
      ones!).

      If it can be seen at all, I'd rather it not be plastic. I think that
      plastic is a horrid material for use in armour, and that metal and leather
      are both superior to it in just about every way. Even if it is hidden, I
      think fighters owe it to themselves to use the best material for required
      bits of armour. Metal and leather hold up much better than plastic, and not
      just in the frigid north.

      As for things like body armour, you can use period materials for most any
      thing.

      In short, I hate plastic and wish it would be banned from the field.
      However, as long as its not obvious that you have it, I tolerate it.

      Not that anyone really cares what lil ole me thinks :)

      Bran