Re: [Authentic_SCA] Bocksten Tunic patterns

  • Mary Bader Montgomery
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
      At 05:07 PM 1/2/04 +0000, you wrote:
      >Happy New Year!!
      >
      >Yesterday in some freetime I constructed a tunic from online patterns
      >of the Bocksten. I didnt quite have the exact measurements, so I had
      >to eyeball it. I am rather proud that I ended up with a wearable
      >tunic made form scrap cotton (I know its not correct) So now heres my
      >question. The the majority if the pattern being laid out in straight
      >lines is there a way to make it less tight across the chest and loser
      >in the shoulders? Also how far up from the bottom should the gores
      >extend in the front? Mine come up to about my ribcage.
      >Is there evidence that tunics had buttons on the front to allow
      >opening? Especially of a heavy wool like I am about to construct.
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Paul

      This may be a little too elementary a response, but you can increase the
      width of the front and back panels. You said that you didn't have exact
      measurements. I have found from years of making clothes that most people
      underestimate their measurements and that they forget about the secret of
      comfortable clothes: Wearing ease. In order to make a close-fitting
      garment, you need to make it about 2" larger than your
      measurement. Fashion ease adds more. I'm not familiar with the Bocksten
      to which you refer, but the description of the cut is similar to most
      "shirts" of the earlier Middle Ages. Most of those have a fairly loose
      cut. In such a case, I'd give at least 6" fashion ease for a slim person,
      and 8" for a heftier person.

      Tunics had buttons in a number of different periods, most of which are
      later than the rectilinear-cut garments you describe. I do recall a few
      examples, but couldn't give you specifics, of some with short slits that
      close with a button or two to close it.

      Not near my books right now.

      Mary Taran

    • Heather Rose Jones
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
        At 5:07 PM +0000 1/2/04, Paul wrote:
        >Happy New Year!!
        >
        >Yesterday in some freetime I constructed a tunic from online patterns
        >of the Bocksten. I didnt quite have the exact measurements, so I had
        >to eyeball it.

        For this type of garment, working from the general schematic and then
        adapting it to your measurements (and materials) is the best way to
        go anyway. So what you did would have been the best approach even if
        you _had_ the exact measurements.

        > I am rather proud that I ended up with a wearable
        >tunic made form scrap cotton (I know its not correct) So now heres my
        >question. The the majority if the pattern being laid out in straight
        >lines is there a way to make it less tight across the chest and loser
        >in the shoulders?

        Given the narrowness of the sleeve attachment, you don't really want
        much looseness around the shoulders. If you make it too loose, then
        (perhaps counter-intuitively) you lose a lot of your arm movement.
        The version I made of this garment also came out fairly snug fitting,
        but once you accept that it's supposed to fit that way, it may not be
        a problem. (This is assuming that it isn't, in fact, simply too
        small.) I'd say that the best way to add a little ease in the chest
        and shoulders is in picking a fabric with a little more stretch to
        it. (*grin* ... like wool)

        If you find you simply can't get comfortable with something this
        snug, you may want to try a different model to work from. For
        example, the sleeve types characteristic of the Herjolfsness garments
        (not meaning to imply that they're all the same) are a bit more
        conducive to a loose fit at the chest and shoulders (being slightly
        fuller at the top, and set into a more shaped armscye).

        >Also how far up from the bottom should the gores
        >extend in the front? Mine come up to about my ribcage.

        While there are some garments in this general style-family where the
        gores extend that high, I believe a good rule of thumb for the
        Bocksten tunic is that they should end around the belt-line.

        >Is there evidence that tunics had buttons on the front to allow
        >opening? Especially of a heavy wool like I am about to construct.

        Ah, now if you want to make a button-front garment of heavier wool,
        then I highly recommend Herjolfsness #63
        <http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/herjol63.html>.
        It's a much looser-fitting style with a open front that buttons.

        Tangwystyl
        --
        *****
        Heather Rose (you may now call me Doctor) Jones