Re: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 2149

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
      At 11:12 PM -0500 12/31/03, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
      >Dr. Jones wrote:
      >
      > > Heather Rose (you may now call me Doctor) Jones
      >

      >Congratulations, Heather!!
      >
      >What is the Ph.D. officially in? Welsh, or linguistics, or what? (And how many
      >lingos did you have to deal with to get there?)

      The degree is in linguistics. In theory, I only would have had to
      know two non-native languages to get through the program. (You have
      to take a language competency exam in two languages. Back when my
      department was young, a century ago, it was required that one of them
      be from Greek/Latin/Sanskrit.) But since I'm a charter member of the
      "dead Indo-European language of the month" club, the concept "have
      to" didn't really apply! The real turning point in my dissertation
      progress was when I decided I really had to stop messing around
      learning new languages and focus on getting the dissertation written!

      When you're a linguist, you often get people asking you "how many
      languages do you know?" and you always have start by explaining that
      it depends on what you mean by "know". When it comes down to it, I
      can only really _speak_ two non-English languages: Welsh and German
      (and I'd do better in Welsh if they didn't want me to use this silly
      modern version of the language). Then there are the languages that I
      can read moderately well (in my specialized areas) only using a
      dictionary to help with vocabulary, which would include (*visualizes
      map*): Old Norse (and some modern Scandinavian languages as long as
      the text is about things I'm familiar with), Latin, French (which
      I've never formally studied). Then there's the list of languages
      I've formally studied, but would need to use both a grammar book and
      dictionary to work my way through any significant text: Old Irish,
      Breton, Basque, Attic Greek, Hittite, Sanskrit. There are the
      languages I've formally studied, but even a grammar book and
      dictionary probably wouldn't get me through a text competently:
      Russian, Ingush. And then there are the languages that I _haven't_
      formally studied, but that are similar enough to things I _have_ that
      I could make my way through them with a grammar and dictionary:
      Spanish, Italian, Cornish, the several modern Scandinavian languages,
      various older versions of languages I've studied, like Gothic, Old
      English, Medieval Breton. One of these days, I really need to remedy
      my weakness in the Slavic languages and maybe even tackle one of the
      Baltic languages (I've got some interesting archaeological reports in
      Lithuanian). And I've promised myself that if I get up the energy to
      tackle another modern non-Indo-European language, it'll be Finnish,
      because I actually have friends in Finland that I could practice it
      with.

      The biggest side benefit of studying a lot of languages is that it
      helps _immensely_ when doing medieval research outside those fields
      popular in English-language scholarship. I can work my way through a
      textile archaeology report in a startling number of languages and
      extract things like when, where, what, how, and where to find more
      information.

      >I'm going to have a glass of the *good* scotch in your honor!
      >
      >BTW, I found a CD I'd forgotten I had -- "Ceredwen O'r Mabinogi"
      >from Real Music
      >-- lots of cool Welsh music (well, okay, Welsh music in the same
      >sense that some
      >of Enya and Clannad are Irish -- not traditional stuff). Have you
      >heard this one?

      Not familiar with it, sorry.

      Tangwystyl
      --
      *****
      Heather Rose (you may now call me Doctor) Jones
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Giovanna d'Este"
        <bellagia@h...> wrote:
        > Congratulations to Doctor Jones, from someone who hates statistics
        more than
        > she wants her bachelor's degree, at least at the moment. (wry grin)

        > Yours in service,
        > Lady Giovanna d'Este

        Sadness. Dismay.
        I teach stats.
        It isn't that bad.
        Kinda grows on you.
        Finish the bachelor's.
        Deroch
      • wodeford
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rose Jones
          <hrjones@s...> wrote:
          > But since I'm a charter member of the
          > "dead Indo-European language of the month" club, the concept "have
          > to" didn't really apply!

          But it's useful as a party trick! ;-> I've been teaching some
          medieval Christmas carols at recent events here in the West. We're
          singing one when Tangwystl comments that the syntax of the Latin
          lyric is really peculiar - not that I would have known this, Latin
          not being one of my rusty languages, except to sing in. However, the
          song in question, "Dies est laeticiae," comes from a 1582 manuscript
          known as the Piae Cantiones - from Turku, Finland.

          Jehanne de Wodeford
        • katherinejsanders
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2004
            Well done Heather! Axios!
            > > > Heather Rose (you may now call me Doctor) Jones

            > The degree is in linguistics. <snip>When you're a linguist, you
            often get people asking you "how many
            > languages do you know?" and you always have start by explaining
            that
            > it depends on what you mean by "know". <snip> Latin, French (which
            > I've never formally studied). Then there's the list of languages
            > I've formally studied, but would need to use both a grammar book
            and

            Oh my goodness! I feel like an illiterate! My thesis only really
            needed one dead-language, biblical Hebrew, French and a smattering of
            German, with a couple of greek words thrown in. Oy!
            May I suggest, if you every get /really/ bored, toying with Ugaritic?
            It's a late bronze 12thc north west semitic dialect, similar to
            hebrew, related to arabic, akkadian and aramaic (which I've not
            worked on) and was written with 30 cuneiform sign-combinations
            (aka 'letters'!). It gets to the fun part when you're working with
            about five dictionaries, three other translations and obligatory
            coffee trying to work out if that three letter bunch is a verb, noun,
            adjective, etc, etc. There is only one punctuation mark which we
            think may be a full stop. Heheheh. Brings back all those stress
            headaches... Still, the actual texts are fun.

            And I've promised myself that if I get up the energy to
            > tackle another modern non-Indo-European language, it'll be Finnish,
            > because I actually have friends in Finland that I could practice it
            > with.

            I'm still up to my eyes with p/t sciences (catching up on high school
            level) but am torn between Scots Gaelic - which some friends do
            speak - and Swedish/Danish, two of my favourite holiday destinations.

            Thanks to all who've offered congrats on finishing my thesis - it
            still doesn't seem quite over. My own library will only allow
            visiting - no borrowing without handing over cash in advance. Given
            my record though... :-)

            Off for coffee and more MS Bodl 264 Romance of Alexandering (now
            there's something I couldn't really do when studying)
            Katherine
          • Karen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2004
              Apologies to those who've tried to go through
              http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/aquamaniles.htm and tried to
              get to StarHammer -- that link is woefully out of date, and I'm not
              sure if there's a new site. I think Hroar Stormgengr's contact
              information at http://www.midlaurel.com/companions.shtml is current,
              though.

              Did a bit of surfing and came across another company that's now doing
              ceramic reproware -- including aquamaniles -- it's
              http://rakurakutei.com/ (and I'm adding that link to the aquamaniles
              page and the feast gear page on my Geocities site now) :)

              Karen
            • aheilvei
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
                Mistress Nona the Midwife of Stormgengr (she's in the Middle
                Kingdom) did an amazing aquamanile a couple of years ago - Spanish
                style, IIRC. It was blue and white and positively stunning!

                Smiles,
                Despina