RE: [Authentic_SCA] Digest Number 2149

  • Giovanna d'Este
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2003
      Congratulations to Doctor Jones, from someone who hates statistics more than
      she wants her bachelor's degree, at least at the moment. (wry grin)

      And a question to the list. Does anyone know of anyone who makes
      aquamaniles, and does so at something approximating a reasonable price?
      Links and email addresses will win points in heaven. The quest to set a
      proper table continueth...

      Yours in service,
      Lady Giovanna d'Este

      Vert, on a billet Or three fleurs-de-lys, one and two, sable, a bordure
      dancetty Or.

      "Numquam Succumbe"

      Have fun customizing MSN Messenger � learn how here!
      http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Giovanna d'Este"
        <bellagia@h...> wrote:
        > And a question to the list. Does anyone know of anyone who makes
        > aquamaniles, and does so at something approximating a reasonable
        price?

        I got a pottery one at Pennsic a couple of years ago in the shape of
        a Ram.

        http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/aquamaniles.htm lists
        examples AND links to merchants, including Starhammer, where I got
        mine.

        Jehanne de Wodeford
      • MMM
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
          http://www.fetteredcockpewters.com/page_home.htm
          Are starting to varry aquamaniles. If you don't see what you want, do
          talk to the proprietress.

          Madinia

        • Heather Rose Jones
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
            At 11:12 PM -0500 12/31/03, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
            >Dr. Jones wrote:
            >
            > > Heather Rose (you may now call me Doctor) Jones
            >

            >Congratulations, Heather!!
            >
            >What is the Ph.D. officially in? Welsh, or linguistics, or what? (And how many
            >lingos did you have to deal with to get there?)

            The degree is in linguistics. In theory, I only would have had to
            know two non-native languages to get through the program. (You have
            to take a language competency exam in two languages. Back when my
            department was young, a century ago, it was required that one of them
            be from Greek/Latin/Sanskrit.) But since I'm a charter member of the
            "dead Indo-European language of the month" club, the concept "have
            to" didn't really apply! The real turning point in my dissertation
            progress was when I decided I really had to stop messing around
            learning new languages and focus on getting the dissertation written!

            When you're a linguist, you often get people asking you "how many
            languages do you know?" and you always have start by explaining that
            it depends on what you mean by "know". When it comes down to it, I
            can only really _speak_ two non-English languages: Welsh and German
            (and I'd do better in Welsh if they didn't want me to use this silly
            modern version of the language). Then there are the languages that I
            can read moderately well (in my specialized areas) only using a
            dictionary to help with vocabulary, which would include (*visualizes
            map*): Old Norse (and some modern Scandinavian languages as long as
            the text is about things I'm familiar with), Latin, French (which
            I've never formally studied). Then there's the list of languages
            I've formally studied, but would need to use both a grammar book and
            dictionary to work my way through any significant text: Old Irish,
            Breton, Basque, Attic Greek, Hittite, Sanskrit. There are the
            languages I've formally studied, but even a grammar book and
            dictionary probably wouldn't get me through a text competently:
            Russian, Ingush. And then there are the languages that I _haven't_
            formally studied, but that are similar enough to things I _have_ that
            I could make my way through them with a grammar and dictionary:
            Spanish, Italian, Cornish, the several modern Scandinavian languages,
            various older versions of languages I've studied, like Gothic, Old
            English, Medieval Breton. One of these days, I really need to remedy
            my weakness in the Slavic languages and maybe even tackle one of the
            Baltic languages (I've got some interesting archaeological reports in
            Lithuanian). And I've promised myself that if I get up the energy to
            tackle another modern non-Indo-European language, it'll be Finnish,
            because I actually have friends in Finland that I could practice it
            with.

            The biggest side benefit of studying a lot of languages is that it
            helps _immensely_ when doing medieval research outside those fields
            popular in English-language scholarship. I can work my way through a
            textile archaeology report in a startling number of languages and
            extract things like when, where, what, how, and where to find more
            information.

            >I'm going to have a glass of the *good* scotch in your honor!
            >
            >BTW, I found a CD I'd forgotten I had -- "Ceredwen O'r Mabinogi"
            >from Real Music
            >-- lots of cool Welsh music (well, okay, Welsh music in the same
            >sense that some
            >of Enya and Clannad are Irish -- not traditional stuff). Have you
            >heard this one?

            Not familiar with it, sorry.

            Tangwystyl
            --
            *****
            Heather Rose (you may now call me Doctor) Jones
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
              <bellagia@h...> wrote:
              > Congratulations to Doctor Jones, from someone who hates statistics
              more than
              > she wants her bachelor's degree, at least at the moment. (wry grin)

              > Yours in service,
              > Lady Giovanna d'Este

              Sadness. Dismay.
              I teach stats.
              It isn't that bad.
              Kinda grows on you.
              Finish the bachelor's.
              Deroch
            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2004
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Heather Rose Jones
                <hrjones@s...> wrote:
                > But since I'm a charter member of the
                > "dead Indo-European language of the month" club, the concept "have
                > to" didn't really apply!

                But it's useful as a party trick! ;-> I've been teaching some
                medieval Christmas carols at recent events here in the West. We're
                singing one when Tangwystl comments that the syntax of the Latin
                lyric is really peculiar - not that I would have known this, Latin
                not being one of my rusty languages, except to sing in. However, the
                song in question, "Dies est laeticiae," comes from a 1582 manuscript
                known as the Piae Cantiones - from Turku, Finland.

                Jehanne de Wodeford
              • katherinejsanders
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2004
                  Well done Heather! Axios!
                  > > > Heather Rose (you may now call me Doctor) Jones

                  > The degree is in linguistics. <snip>When you're a linguist, you
                  often get people asking you "how many
                  > languages do you know?" and you always have start by explaining
                  that
                  > it depends on what you mean by "know". <snip> Latin, French (which
                  > I've never formally studied). Then there's the list of languages
                  > I've formally studied, but would need to use both a grammar book
                  and

                  Oh my goodness! I feel like an illiterate! My thesis only really
                  needed one dead-language, biblical Hebrew, French and a smattering of
                  German, with a couple of greek words thrown in. Oy!
                  May I suggest, if you every get /really/ bored, toying with Ugaritic?
                  It's a late bronze 12thc north west semitic dialect, similar to
                  hebrew, related to arabic, akkadian and aramaic (which I've not
                  worked on) and was written with 30 cuneiform sign-combinations
                  (aka 'letters'!). It gets to the fun part when you're working with
                  about five dictionaries, three other translations and obligatory
                  coffee trying to work out if that three letter bunch is a verb, noun,
                  adjective, etc, etc. There is only one punctuation mark which we
                  think may be a full stop. Heheheh. Brings back all those stress
                  headaches... Still, the actual texts are fun.

                  And I've promised myself that if I get up the energy to
                  > tackle another modern non-Indo-European language, it'll be Finnish,
                  > because I actually have friends in Finland that I could practice it
                  > with.

                  I'm still up to my eyes with p/t sciences (catching up on high school
                  level) but am torn between Scots Gaelic - which some friends do
                  speak - and Swedish/Danish, two of my favourite holiday destinations.

                  Thanks to all who've offered congrats on finishing my thesis - it
                  still doesn't seem quite over. My own library will only allow
                  visiting - no borrowing without handing over cash in advance. Given
                  my record though... :-)

                  Off for coffee and more MS Bodl 264 Romance of Alexandering (now
                  there's something I couldn't really do when studying)
                  Katherine
                • Karen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2004
                    Apologies to those who've tried to go through
                    http://www.geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/aquamaniles.htm and tried to
                    get to StarHammer -- that link is woefully out of date, and I'm not
                    sure if there's a new site. I think Hroar Stormgengr's contact
                    information at http://www.midlaurel.com/companions.shtml is current,
                    though.

                    Did a bit of surfing and came across another company that's now doing
                    ceramic reproware -- including aquamaniles -- it's
                    http://rakurakutei.com/ (and I'm adding that link to the aquamaniles
                    page and the feast gear page on my Geocities site now) :)

                    Karen
                  • aheilvei
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2004
                      Mistress Nona the Midwife of Stormgengr (she's in the Middle
                      Kingdom) did an amazing aquamanile a couple of years ago - Spanish
                      style, IIRC. It was blue and white and positively stunning!

                      Smiles,
                      Despina