RE: [Authentic_SCA] Fashion Fabrics Club Sale

  • MMM
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2003
      I wonder if enough of us complaining would change their policy...?

      Madinia

    • bronwynmgn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
        In a message dated 12/31/2003 7:50:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

        <<Here is a armor question for every one. What would you
        rather see on the field:

        A) Armor that is made from plastics but hidden by
        other clothing to look like period armor

        OR

        B) Armor that is not quite period for the given
        persona but uses "SCA style" armor for certain areas.>>

        A, definitely. I have a real problem when SCA rules get in the way of doing
        good recreation. I understand the need for the armor bits that weren't used
        at certain periods (my husband fights, and I certainly don't want him to have a
        smashed knee or anything), but I don't think there's any reason to degenerate
        to standard "SCA style" armor if there is any way to make it look more
        accurate.

        Brangwayna
      • William Leo Harrington II
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
          THe cold I understand, but let me add another perspective on the use of plastic for armor. Museums, when restoring swords, commonly replaced grips with plain wood, even though, actually precisely because, it was obvious that that was not the original material or construction technique. They wanted it to be very obvious what parts of a restoration were not original. In the SCA, this could be applicaple. When trying to combine SCA safety rules with an authentic recreation of fighting gear, why not use obviously non period materials or construction for the parts that are required by the SCA but have no place in the gear of your persona? This would be a true authenticist and teaching apreach. THe only reason not to do this is to avoid offending the esthetic principles of some of the people watching. Which should come first, authenticity or esthetics?

          Dorje
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
            --- Kareina Talvi Tyt�r <kareina@...> wrote:
            > I'd go with:
            >
            > C) Armor that is made from leather or metal or
            > other things available in
            > that period, but then cover it with the garb to give
            > the correct overall
            > look for that period. But given a choice between
            > hidden plastics, and
            > hidden pieces (like knees and elbows) made of
            > materials they _could_ have
            > used if they wanted to protect their knees and
            > elbows, I'd go with the
            > period materials! Remember, well hidden is well
            > hidden when the kit is
            > new, but during use things can get damaged, and the
            > plastics might show
            > thorough a hole. (I've also got the Oerthan bias
            > against plastics, which
            > have a nasty habit of shattering when struck in
            > extreme cold temperatures!)
            >
            > --Kareina

            The problem is that the plate armor necessary for
            those spots is not represented anywhere in the
            archaeological evidence, in my mind not making it
            really any better that plastics. Also, yes plastics
            can shatter in the cold but not all plastics are
            subject to that flaw.

            Godric Of Castlemont

            http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
          • Tom Knighton
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
              My answer to this question is to look at it this way. How would your
              persona have solved the problem of SCA legality in relation to armour with
              thier materials. This avoids the "If they'd have had it, they'd have used
              it" arguement since they DID have it, they just didn't need to do it this
              way.

              As for plastic being used exposed, that is a major criticism of the SCA by
              many other historical groups. If you can tell it's plastic, then it should
              be kept hidden. There are some plastic lamellar plates out there that look
              a lot like different types of metal (I personally like the bronze colored
              ones!).

              If it can be seen at all, I'd rather it not be plastic. I think that
              plastic is a horrid material for use in armour, and that metal and leather
              are both superior to it in just about every way. Even if it is hidden, I
              think fighters owe it to themselves to use the best material for required
              bits of armour. Metal and leather hold up much better than plastic, and not
              just in the frigid north.

              As for things like body armour, you can use period materials for most any
              thing.

              In short, I hate plastic and wish it would be banned from the field.
              However, as long as its not obvious that you have it, I tolerate it.

              Not that anyone really cares what lil ole me thinks :)

              Bran