Fashion Fabrics Club Sale

  • Jan C. Lane
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2003
      For those of you who don't get their e-mails...

      Fashion Fabrics Club is having sale on wools--60"-65" wide for $6.00. Not
      bad!

      More than 300 silks from $5.00 a yard.
      http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_items.cfm?TypID=3&ViewBy=Types

      All kinds of Wool. More than 100 to choose. From $6.00 a yard.
      http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_items.cfm?TypID=5&ViewBy=Types

      Fantastic imported Linen.
      http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_items.cfm?TypID=4&Viewby=Types

      I haven't checked out the linens or silks, but there are definitely some
      suitable wools. :)

      No affiliation, etc....

      In service,

      Jannifer
    • Despair Bear
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 31, 2003
        Here is a armor question for every one. What would you
        rather see on the field:

        A) Armor that is made from plastics but hidden by
        other clothing to look like period armor

        OR

        B) Armor that is not quite period for the given
        persona but uses "SCA style" armor for certain areas.

        What I am trying to do is modify my armor to be as
        similar in appearance to the kit of a 10th cent. saxon
        as possible. The problem I am running into is that
        certain types of "SCA armor" where not worn, such as
        knee/elbow cops, gorget and a few other things. So I
        would like the opinion of the group, would you rather
        see SCA style armor that is sorta period or well
        hidden plastics that give a period appearance?

        Godric Of Castlemont

        http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
      • MMM
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 31, 2003
          Well hidden, unmentioned plastic, disguised. This as an aesthete ;^),
          former fighter, and fashion critic<G>.

          Madinia

        • Kirrily Robert
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 31, 2003
            Jannifer wrote:

            > Fashion Fabrics Club is having sale on wools--60"-65" wide for $6.00. Not
            > bad!

            The downside to this is that they won't ship north of the border, the
            bastards. On the other hand, I don't actually need any more fabric in
            the stash.

            Yours,

            Katherine

            --
            Goodwife Katherine Rowberd (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
            katherine@... http://elizabethangeek.com/
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 31, 2003
              If you can hide it, great, if not it will probably be virtually invisible to the casual observer if it is made of metal or leather, just because that is what people expect to see.

              Dorje
              Here is a armor question for every one. What would you
              rather see on the field:

              A) Armor that is made from plastics but hidden by
              other clothing to look like period armor

              OR

              B) Armor that is not quite period for the given
              persona but uses "SCA style" armor for certain areas.

              What I am trying to do is modify my armor to be as
              similar in appearance to the kit of a 10th cent. saxon
              as possible. The problem I am running into is that
              certain types of "SCA armor" where not worn, such as
              knee/elbow cops, gorget and a few other things. So I
              would like the opinion of the group, would you rather
              see SCA style armor that is sorta period or well
              hidden plastics that give a period appearance?

              Godric Of Castlemont

              http://search.yahoo.com/top2003

            • Kareina Talvi Tytär
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 31, 2003
                I'd go with:

                C) Armor that is made from leather or metal or other things available in
                that period, but then cover it with the garb to give the correct overall
                look for that period. But given a choice between hidden plastics, and
                hidden pieces (like knees and elbows) made of materials they _could_ have
                used if they wanted to protect their knees and elbows, I'd go with the
                period materials! Remember, well hidden is well hidden when the kit is
                new, but during use things can get damaged, and the plastics might show
                thorough a hole. (I've also got the Oerthan bias against plastics, which
                have a nasty habit of shattering when struck in extreme cold temperatures!)

                --Kareina

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 31, 2003
                  I wonder if enough of us complaining would change their policy...?

                  Madinia

                • bronwynmgn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                    In a message dated 12/31/2003 7:50:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com writes:

                    <<Here is a armor question for every one. What would you
                    rather see on the field:

                    A) Armor that is made from plastics but hidden by
                    other clothing to look like period armor

                    OR

                    B) Armor that is not quite period for the given
                    persona but uses "SCA style" armor for certain areas.>>

                    A, definitely. I have a real problem when SCA rules get in the way of doing
                    good recreation. I understand the need for the armor bits that weren't used
                    at certain periods (my husband fights, and I certainly don't want him to have a
                    smashed knee or anything), but I don't think there's any reason to degenerate
                    to standard "SCA style" armor if there is any way to make it look more
                    accurate.

                    Brangwayna
                  • William Leo Harrington II
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 1, 2004
                      THe cold I understand, but let me add another perspective on the use of plastic for armor. Museums, when restoring swords, commonly replaced grips with plain wood, even though, actually precisely because, it was obvious that that was not the original material or construction technique. They wanted it to be very obvious what parts of a restoration were not original. In the SCA, this could be applicaple. When trying to combine SCA safety rules with an authentic recreation of fighting gear, why not use obviously non period materials or construction for the parts that are required by the SCA but have no place in the gear of your persona? This would be a true authenticist and teaching apreach. THe only reason not to do this is to avoid offending the esthetic principles of some of the people watching. Which should come first, authenticity or esthetics?

                      Dorje

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
                        --- Kareina Talvi Tyt�r <kareina@...> wrote:
                        > I'd go with:
                        >
                        > C) Armor that is made from leather or metal or
                        > other things available in
                        > that period, but then cover it with the garb to give
                        > the correct overall
                        > look for that period. But given a choice between
                        > hidden plastics, and
                        > hidden pieces (like knees and elbows) made of
                        > materials they _could_ have
                        > used if they wanted to protect their knees and
                        > elbows, I'd go with the
                        > period materials! Remember, well hidden is well
                        > hidden when the kit is
                        > new, but during use things can get damaged, and the
                        > plastics might show
                        > thorough a hole. (I've also got the Oerthan bias
                        > against plastics, which
                        > have a nasty habit of shattering when struck in
                        > extreme cold temperatures!)
                        >
                        > --Kareina

                        The problem is that the plate armor necessary for
                        those spots is not represented anywhere in the
                        archaeological evidence, in my mind not making it
                        really any better that plastics. Also, yes plastics
                        can shatter in the cold but not all plastics are
                        subject to that flaw.

                        Godric Of Castlemont

                        http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
                      • Tom Knighton
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 2, 2004
                          My answer to this question is to look at it this way. How would your
                          persona have solved the problem of SCA legality in relation to armour with
                          thier materials. This avoids the "If they'd have had it, they'd have used
                          it" arguement since they DID have it, they just didn't need to do it this
                          way.

                          As for plastic being used exposed, that is a major criticism of the SCA by
                          many other historical groups. If you can tell it's plastic, then it should
                          be kept hidden. There are some plastic lamellar plates out there that look
                          a lot like different types of metal (I personally like the bronze colored
                          ones!).

                          If it can be seen at all, I'd rather it not be plastic. I think that
                          plastic is a horrid material for use in armour, and that metal and leather
                          are both superior to it in just about every way. Even if it is hidden, I
                          think fighters owe it to themselves to use the best material for required
                          bits of armour. Metal and leather hold up much better than plastic, and not
                          just in the frigid north.

                          As for things like body armour, you can use period materials for most any
                          thing.

                          In short, I hate plastic and wish it would be banned from the field.
                          However, as long as its not obvious that you have it, I tolerate it.

                          Not that anyone really cares what lil ole me thinks :)

                          Bran