RE: Knitting

  • Gerita
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2003
      Dorothy Burnam (of Cut my Cote fame amongst reenactors) has a paper
      where
      she traced the thread path of the earlier 'knit' pieces (earlier as in
      time
      of the Roman Empire) & showed them to be universally nalbinding. I
      could
      dig up the reference if there's any interest.

      Please, Ma'am, I would love to see this reference!

      > In retrospect, I may have mistated Felkin ( I read him a year ago ),
      or
      > Felkin may have been lumping together the various methods of textile
      > production through knotting a single yarn (knitting,
      > nalbinding, crochet, etc).

      Also remember that the term 'knitting' did not originally mean what it
      does today. It meant any kind of weaving, braiding, whatever that ended
      up with a 'fabric'. This has caused confusion and consternation for
      quite awhile now (grin)!

      Gerita