RE: [Authentic_SCA] Dyes

  • Lynn Meyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2003
      > Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:09:10 -0500
      > From: ACatelli@...
      >
      > > I have very little luck with seeds for anything, sigh...
      > > You can get weld plants from Companion Plants in Ohio
      > > http://www.companionplants.com/
      > > or from Richters in Canada
      > > http://www.richters.com/
      > > -- I forget where I got my weld plants from, but I've been
      > > very happy with plants from both places.
      > >
      > > Cheryl Kolander of Aurora Silks wrote a book about silk...
      > > she knows an enormous amount about dyeing silks with
      > > natural dyes. I'm sure her seeds would be great.
      > >
      > > Halima
      >
      >Before trying your luck with dye plants, please check with your local
      >agricultural extension office that you are not planting a noxious weed.
      >
      >I don't know that weld is a noxious weed anywhere, but that's my point. I
      >_don't_ know; perhaps you do not either.
      >
      >Ann in CT
      >again

      Actually, I do know that weld is OK in California,
      where I live. But you make an excellent point.

      http://invader.dbs.umt.edu/Noxious_Weeds/
      makes it easy to check for plants that are considered noxious
      at the level of the US states or the six southern
      Canadian provinces.

      Weld (Reseda luteola) isn't listed as noxious in
      any of those.

      Looks like you have to be careful if you're checking
      common names instead of Latin names, though -- e.g.
      it lists "dyer's woad" but not "woad" as noxious
      in several states.

      Halima
      SCA: Halima de la Lucha, Crosston, Mists, West
      (Silicon Valley (San Francisco Bay Area), CA, USA)
      http://www.halimal.com