Terminology quibbles Re: Knitted Items in 12th-15th cent

  • ACatelli@manafortbrothers.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2003
      > olive kelly green

      I'm sorry, I don't understand what color this can be.
      I thought olive is a muted yellow-green; kelly green is screaming bright
      fairly true green, possibly slightly yellow.

      > > I'm sorry, but this is just wrong. The first true knitting known was
      > > around 9-10c in the middle east and it spread thru Europe by the 12 or
      > 13c.
      > > This is off the top my head without checking dates.

      The earliest piece which is definately knitting & well-dated is 11th century
      Egyptian.
      (per Rutt)

      Dorothy Burnam (of Cut my Cote fame amongst reenactors) has a paper where
      she traced the thread path of the earlier 'knit' pieces (earlier as in time
      of the Roman Empire) & showed them to be universally nalbinding. I could
      dig up the reference if there's any interest.

      > > Many sources confuse knitting with nalbinding, which is
      > much older, but can look very much like knitting.

      In some needle-looping, the Only difference in in how the textile is
      increased & decreased, which is how D. Burnam made her point.

      > In retrospect, I may have mistated Felkin ( I read him a year ago ), or
      > Felkin may have been lumping together the various methods of textile
      > production through knotting a single yarn (knitting,
      > nalbinding, crochet, etc).

      I would say all those techniques are looped rather than knotted, although
      there are probably versions of nalbinding at least that end up knotted.
      Knitting & crochet are definately not knotted in any form I can think of.

      i do see your temporizing 'may have been'

      > I usually remember these things quite well, but I have been absorbing
      > prodigious amounts of information since I joined this list,
      > and it would be no surprise to find that I have misfiled a few things.
      >
      > Capt Elias

      not word-perfect off the top of his head.
      sad sigh, shakes head. tkk-tkk-tkk.
      <g>

      Ann in CT, also off-hand