Re: [Authentic_SCA] Knitted Items in 12th-15th cent

  • jeff.gedney@dictaphone.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2003
      > I'm sorry, but this is just wrong. The first true knitting known was
      > around 9-10c in the middle east and it spread thru Europe by the 12 or
      13c.
      > This is off the top my head without checking dates.

      > Many sources confuse knitting with nalbinding, which is much older, but
      > can look very much like knitting.

      I thank you for the correction, Ranvaig.
      I always appreciate being made more accurate. (My >friends< I regard as
      ones who correct my misteps! my enemies will just let me stumble
      foolishly.)
      I shall remember your reference.

      In retrospect, I may have mistated Felkin ( I read him a year ago ), or
      Felkin may have been lumping together the various methods of textile
      production through knotting a single yarn (kintting, nalbinding, crochet,
      etc). I can't actually say now.
      I usually remember these things quite well, but I have been absorbing
      prodigious amounts of information since I joined this list, and it would be
      no surprise to find that I have misfiled a few things.

      In any case he was making a general statement as to the rationale for the
      numerous efforts during the late Tudor and Stuart eras at mechanizing the
      knitting process, and the creation, during Elizabeth's reign, of the first
      "stocking frame", a kind of knitting machine.

      I shall try to locate the book you referenced, as I always prefer to have
      better information.
      And again, thanks for the better data!

      Capt Elias