Re: [Authentic_SCA] Blackwork Materials

  • Elizabeth Walpole
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2003
      From: "cschutrick" <cschutrick@...>
      To: <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2003 5:03 AM
      Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Blackwork Materials
      > So I'm all set with my white linen and my black silk, and then it
      > struck me: I have no documentation for the materials. Every book,
      > article, and mention of blackwork I've ever encountered says that it
      > was usually done on white linen, in black silk, with red silk
      > second, followed distantly by all other colors. But "everybody
      > knows" is not documentation, and I'm not sure how modern blackwork
      > books will be taken in an A&S competition.
      > --Jeannette
      > BMDL, AEthelmearc

      There's a couple of blackworked chemises at the V&A go to
      http://images.vam.ac.uk/ and search for smock or blackwork and you should
      find you pictures. There's one women's smock which is absolutely covered in
      blackwork which is black silk on linen, there may be more examples, I just
      know I was looking for chemise documentation and Jane pointed this out to
      me.
      hope this helps
      Elizabeth

      ----
      Elizabeth Beaumont
      MKA:
      Elizabeth Walpole
      Politarchopolis, Lochac
      ewalpole@...

      People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
      is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
      there is light from within.
      Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

      The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
      to the ages of other women.
      Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.