Gifts

  • Sheila McClune
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
      > From: "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" <aheilvei@...>
      > Subject: gifts
      >
      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > With pocketbooks being tight all over this year, I was wondering what
      > people are making for holiday gifts this year?
      <<<

      I just realised I never actually got around to answering this ...

      Some of the things I have planned for this year:

      - Marzipan fruits: Thanks to Eirene, I discovered a hitherto hidden
      talent for making marzipan fruits a couple of years ago, and now they're
      always in great demand. So I was thinking of putting together little
      boxes of fruits for my friends. And I've also branched out recently ...
      http://home.earthlink.net/~smcclune/stewpot/marzipansushi.html

      - Lampworked Beads

      - Jars of Spice Powders

      - Inkle Woven Bookmarks

      - Honeyed Wine (recipe from Apicius)

      This, of course, is all subject to my having time to do any of this ...
      (what do you mean, I said I'd autocrat Twelfth Night?!?!? <grin>)

      Arwen
    • J.B. Gold
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
        Some other ideas for gifts... For soaps it may be too late since you need 3-6 weeks to cure. Bath salts (scented) are a nice idea, as is the ingrediants and recipe for cookies candies etc. "Care packages are great for those with hobbies. You decorate a basket and place several things pertaining to their hobbies... Someone who likes to sew could get a basket of needles, assorted colors of thread and maybe some pattern &/or material for a small project... a quilt or ??? For a sports fan, a magazine, popcorn, and a sixpack of his fav. brew.
        Meads and sweets are nice if they are home brewed/crafted and bottled... For children, books and small protable games are good, even art supplies. Hope this helps... Currently I am trying to find the metalic colored beads and bells (Red green and blue) to finish the tree decorations with! NOBODY carries them around S. California, and Michaels is not due in til just before or right after Christmas! Oh well, maybe felt gingerbread men filled with herbs and essential oils will take up the slack!

        Kate Morey
      • Luiseach@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2004
          Amazon.com gift certificate and $$ to buy a calligraphy book I've been
          coveting for a couple of years.

          Luighseach in rainy southern California

        • Park McKellop
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 29, 2004
            I received a couple cards to Borders, so I'll get a few books. Right now I am thinking about Kauper's book on Chivalry and Violence, Duke Finnvarr's book on Tournaments, one called Virtue and Beauty, and I'm still looking for suggestions.

            Alcyoneus