Re: Robin Netherton visits the Philadelphia area!

  • sismith42
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
      > > This is to ensure that she can actually publish her
      work/theories in an academic setting. If she allows recordings or
      publishes her work in a handout for the SCA audience, it will have
      a damaging effect on her ability to publish it and have it be a
      serious academic work.

      > Drea doesn't seem to have had that problem, or she wouldn't have
      > been invited back to Kalamazoo, nor would she have been able to
      > publish her book. So I really don't see where giving your

      has Drea published in any academic journals? I believe they can be
      fussy at times about whether something's been published before, and
      I think *that* is what Caindeer was refereing to, rather than
      the "ewww, you do SCA" thing.

      Steph
    • Marc Carlson
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "aheilvei" <aheilvei@u...> wrote:
        > ...Like I said people, I don't have anything against her or her
        > research, just take it with the same pinch of salt you take
        > everything else.
        > Marc, you didn't put anything in my mouth with your last post, I
        > agree with what you said.

        Okie dokie :)

        Which means that probably everyone should take a deep breath and avoid
        posting for an hour or so after reading all the other mail in this
        thread, because no one's being overly critical here by suggesting a
        little critical thinking.

        I will say if you are curious about why Robin doesn't publish - ask
        her. My observation is that she's trying really hard to get
        published, but because of the limited available spaces in academic
        journals that have any interest in her topic, she's having to wait her
        turn and do the slogging through. [in my case, otoh, I've been sucked
        in by the demons of the Internet since it's so much easier to just put
        up another wrb site, and revise the old ones, then it is to go through
        that whole publication dance (in a much more limited field) every time
        something new comes up. But that's MY problem. OTOH, that does
        remind me I have an article on lasts to write FOR publication... ]

        Just remember, if Publication was -easy- it wouldn't be a requirement
        for tenure....

        M/D
      • demontsegur
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
          wrote:
          > For someone who doesn't do the SCA anymore unless she's a paid
          > lecturer she gets a lot of SCA press.

          Just one small point here -- Robin does not require being paid. In
          negotiating with me for the Philadelphia appearance, she said she
          only requires her travel, room, and board expenses be covered so
          that she is not paying her own way out-of-pocket. Rather reasonable -
          - considering there's a demand for her appearances and by taking
          time away from her family, she's flying to far-off places to satisfy
          that demand. She likes to receive an honorarium if and only IF the
          monies collected can take that hit, as it helps her keep her
          prodigious slide collection maintained, covers paper costs, etc. She
          doesn't set the number, either, but leaves it up to the host. I get
          the distinct impression she is far from getting rich on these
          appearances. (As a side note, I won't be making one penny of profit
          because any leftover money after expenses will go entirely to her,
          with gratitude, because I think she will have more than earned it.)

          If her lectures with slides are what she's willing to offer us, I
          guess I'm willing to take that, no further questions asked. No-one
          owes anyone else anything when they do their own research, right?
          They can offer or not offer as much or as little of it as they want
          for public consumption, and that's their perogative. Some people
          research for their own pleasure. I know I do. I also like to publish
          what I've found on my website because it's fun to share it, and I
          will chat incessantly on certain topics in forums like this (hee
          hee) but that's just me. :^D Everyone else's mileage may vary, and
          AFAIK, it definitely does vary. To each their own, when it comes to
          sharing research.

          In contemplitude, :^)
          Marcele
        • Ariane H
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
            marccarlson20@... wrote:

            >Just remember, if Publication was -easy- it wouldn't be a requirement
            >for tenure....
            >
            >M/D

            But on the other hand (forgive me if someone else has already said
            this), just because something has been published does not mean it should
            be taken as the ultimate authority, either. My English seminar this
            semester, while ostensibly about Elizabethan and Jacobean drama, also
            requires us to read dozens of scholarly publications and figure out how
            useful they are for helping us to analyze the play texts, understand
            their historical background, etc. (Most of it is in literary theory,
            but there's a lot of "new historicist" work that involves in-depth
            research into things like period trade and commerce, medicine and
            humoral theory, clothing, gender roles, etc.) Just as with any field of
            research, some of this stuff is great, and some of it is seriously
            flawed. In fact, the prof said of one unhelpful article we discussed
            today, "This ought to show you how easy it can be to get published!" It
            wasn't a totally derogatory statement - it would be virtually impossible
            to avoid publication of all imperfect or incomplete work - but a
            cautionary one. And even flawed or lacking work usually provokes
            discussion and debate and further research, which is always a good thing.

            In this same class today I had an amusing "You know you've been in the
            SCA too long when..." moment (well, moments). We were reading John
            Webster's "The White Devil" (1612) and the heroine/villainess of the
            play is "Vittoria Corombona the famous Venetian Curtizan." I never knew
            of the existence of this other Vittoria (based on the notorious Umbrian
            noblewoman Vittoria Accorambini of Gubbio, d. 1585) until last week, but
            that aside, it was very weird to be sitting in this discussion for two
            hours, hearing the name "Vittoria" every other minute, and making myself
            *not* respond to it. ;)

            Ariane
            (V. knows no literary theory after Aristotle)
            "...Vittoria's performances deconstruct traditional gendered antitheses
            and expose them as contingent on subjective construction.....Similarly,
            Vittoria's accomplished performance of masculinity exposes those
            cultural paradigms that underlie the rhetorical posturing of the men in
            this play."
            --C. Luckyj, "Gender, Rhetoric, and Performance in 'The White Devil'"