Re: Robin Netherton visits the Philadelphia area!

  • aheilvei
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
      > This is to ensure that she can actually publish her work/theories
      in an
      > academic setting. If she allows recordings or publishes her work
      in a
      > handout for the SCA audience, it will have a damaging effect on
      her ability
      > to publish it and have it be a serious academic work.

      Drea doesn't seem to have had that problem, or she wouldn't have
      been invited back to Kalamazoo, nor would she have been able to
      publish her book. So I really don't see where giving your
      information to the SCA or people in the SCA would damage your
      credibility with the academic community that much. No, people who
      go to Kalamazoo and are SCA don't shout it from the rooftops, but if
      asked, they usually fess up and are generally admired as someone who
      did all the research without academic backing and resourses.

      Despina, I'm not sure if you realize that Robin is
      > one of the session organizers for K'zoo and she actively
      encourages and
      > works with SCA folks to get their information out there to the
      academic
      > community at the Congress? Without Robin's work in this area, I'm
      not sure
      > how many of them would have been accorded the same opportunity by
      the
      > academic community.

      Yes, I do know what Robin does at Kalamzaoo (and yes, I do think
      that having one's own session there is impressive) and I do think
      that others would have been (and were) afforded the same opportunity
      as Robin. She wasn't the first SCA person to attend Kalamazoo, I'd
      bet. And I know that she isn't the only person at Kalamazoo pushing
      for the inclusion of independant scholars, re-creationists, and re-
      enactors work to be represented and considered there.

      Like I said people, I don't have anything against her or her
      research, just take it with the same pinch of salt you take
      everything else.

      Marc, you didn't put anything in my mouth with your last post, I
      agree with what you said.

      Despina
    • sismith42
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
        > > This is to ensure that she can actually publish her
        work/theories in an academic setting. If she allows recordings or
        publishes her work in a handout for the SCA audience, it will have
        a damaging effect on her ability to publish it and have it be a
        serious academic work.

        > Drea doesn't seem to have had that problem, or she wouldn't have
        > been invited back to Kalamazoo, nor would she have been able to
        > publish her book. So I really don't see where giving your

        has Drea published in any academic journals? I believe they can be
        fussy at times about whether something's been published before, and
        I think *that* is what Caindeer was refereing to, rather than
        the "ewww, you do SCA" thing.

        Steph
      • Marc Carlson
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "aheilvei" <aheilvei@u...> wrote:
          > ...Like I said people, I don't have anything against her or her
          > research, just take it with the same pinch of salt you take
          > everything else.
          > Marc, you didn't put anything in my mouth with your last post, I
          > agree with what you said.

          Okie dokie :)

          Which means that probably everyone should take a deep breath and avoid
          posting for an hour or so after reading all the other mail in this
          thread, because no one's being overly critical here by suggesting a
          little critical thinking.

          I will say if you are curious about why Robin doesn't publish - ask
          her. My observation is that she's trying really hard to get
          published, but because of the limited available spaces in academic
          journals that have any interest in her topic, she's having to wait her
          turn and do the slogging through. [in my case, otoh, I've been sucked
          in by the demons of the Internet since it's so much easier to just put
          up another wrb site, and revise the old ones, then it is to go through
          that whole publication dance (in a much more limited field) every time
          something new comes up. But that's MY problem. OTOH, that does
          remind me I have an article on lasts to write FOR publication... ]

          Just remember, if Publication was -easy- it wouldn't be a requirement
          for tenure....

          M/D
        • demontsegur
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
            wrote:
            > For someone who doesn't do the SCA anymore unless she's a paid
            > lecturer she gets a lot of SCA press.

            Just one small point here -- Robin does not require being paid. In
            negotiating with me for the Philadelphia appearance, she said she
            only requires her travel, room, and board expenses be covered so
            that she is not paying her own way out-of-pocket. Rather reasonable -
            - considering there's a demand for her appearances and by taking
            time away from her family, she's flying to far-off places to satisfy
            that demand. She likes to receive an honorarium if and only IF the
            monies collected can take that hit, as it helps her keep her
            prodigious slide collection maintained, covers paper costs, etc. She
            doesn't set the number, either, but leaves it up to the host. I get
            the distinct impression she is far from getting rich on these
            appearances. (As a side note, I won't be making one penny of profit
            because any leftover money after expenses will go entirely to her,
            with gratitude, because I think she will have more than earned it.)

            If her lectures with slides are what she's willing to offer us, I
            guess I'm willing to take that, no further questions asked. No-one
            owes anyone else anything when they do their own research, right?
            They can offer or not offer as much or as little of it as they want
            for public consumption, and that's their perogative. Some people
            research for their own pleasure. I know I do. I also like to publish
            what I've found on my website because it's fun to share it, and I
            will chat incessantly on certain topics in forums like this (hee
            hee) but that's just me. :^D Everyone else's mileage may vary, and
            AFAIK, it definitely does vary. To each their own, when it comes to
            sharing research.

            In contemplitude, :^)
            Marcele
          • Ariane H
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
              marccarlson20@... wrote:

              >Just remember, if Publication was -easy- it wouldn't be a requirement
              >for tenure....
              >
              >M/D

              But on the other hand (forgive me if someone else has already said
              this), just because something has been published does not mean it should
              be taken as the ultimate authority, either. My English seminar this
              semester, while ostensibly about Elizabethan and Jacobean drama, also
              requires us to read dozens of scholarly publications and figure out how
              useful they are for helping us to analyze the play texts, understand
              their historical background, etc. (Most of it is in literary theory,
              but there's a lot of "new historicist" work that involves in-depth
              research into things like period trade and commerce, medicine and
              humoral theory, clothing, gender roles, etc.) Just as with any field of
              research, some of this stuff is great, and some of it is seriously
              flawed. In fact, the prof said of one unhelpful article we discussed
              today, "This ought to show you how easy it can be to get published!" It
              wasn't a totally derogatory statement - it would be virtually impossible
              to avoid publication of all imperfect or incomplete work - but a
              cautionary one. And even flawed or lacking work usually provokes
              discussion and debate and further research, which is always a good thing.

              In this same class today I had an amusing "You know you've been in the
              SCA too long when..." moment (well, moments). We were reading John
              Webster's "The White Devil" (1612) and the heroine/villainess of the
              play is "Vittoria Corombona the famous Venetian Curtizan." I never knew
              of the existence of this other Vittoria (based on the notorious Umbrian
              noblewoman Vittoria Accorambini of Gubbio, d. 1585) until last week, but
              that aside, it was very weird to be sitting in this discussion for two
              hours, hearing the name "Vittoria" every other minute, and making myself
              *not* respond to it. ;)

              Ariane
              (V. knows no literary theory after Aristotle)
              "...Vittoria's performances deconstruct traditional gendered antitheses
              and expose them as contingent on subjective construction.....Similarly,
              Vittoria's accomplished performance of masculinity exposes those
              cultural paradigms that underlie the rhetorical posturing of the men in
              this play."
              --C. Luckyj, "Gender, Rhetoric, and Performance in 'The White Devil'"