Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Robin Netherton visits the Philadelphia area!

  • Colleen McDonald
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
      > ...but her work on this not being published is a bit of a bad sign:
      > it means either 1)publishers don't considder it "good enough" yet or
      > 2) she's not satsified with it/ready to send it off for peer-
      > review. Plus, without it being published, people like me get (let's
      > see: she's doing primary/sencondary research, you hearing it's
      > tertiary, so my reading your notes would be... quartirary?... rather
      > low on the food-chain, at any rate!) info! >>

      Robin is going to be publishing articles as soon as the new journal that she
      and Gale Owen-Crocker are editing is up and running.

      Something to keep in mind is that Robin uses *lots* of slides to guide the
      attendees through the evolution of the theory. Publishing in the format
      that she lectures in would mean getting permission to include each and every
      one of those images - time consuming and quite expensive! (She and I
      discussed this during her recent visit to Seattle to lecture.)

      In service, I remain

      Cainder
    • demontsegur
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
        Hi folks,

        I don't think any of us have to feel defensive or even disagree on
        any of this, as Robin herself will be the first to admit that she's
        offering us the results of 20 years of study in the areas of art
        history, textual sources, and archaeological research -- as _her_
        view. She doesn't claim to have the gospel truth, only educated
        theories resulting in plausible methods we modern-day folks can use
        to reconstruct clothing as we think it was made in the time she
        covers. Who can do better, given the scant extant evidence?

        It is not Robin's fault if others repeat her work like it can only
        be the Gospel Truth; I like to work in the same areas she does, and
        I've had the same problem. I present things with as many caveats as
        I can remember to muster, like "As far as I know..." or "That I've
        seen so far..." etc., and well-meaning folks will still pass on some
        nugget of information to someone else and say, "Because Marcele de
        Montsegur said so, that's why." :^P

        If you have an appreciation for period art, and enjoy delving into
        historical mysteries on the topic of 14th and 15th century feminine
        clothing, then these lectures are for you. You can bring your free
        will and inquiring intellect and make your own decision as to
        whether or not she's got it right or not. You won't be bored, though.

        I too wish that Robin would publish more in this area, but she has
        her reasons, I'm sure. I think she's also quite busy at present
        getting a scholarly journal on medieval dress together, from the
        editorial side.

        All best,
        Marcele
      • aheilvei
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
          I never said that she stinks and her theories are a hock of hooey, I
          said that they are theories, just like any other theory, and people
          should remember that when sitting in the lecture.

          For someone who doesn't do the SCA anymore unless she's a paid
          lecturer she gets a lot of SCA press.

          She also hasn't ever published anything as far as I know *and* she's
          tremendously clutchy with her work. Since you've been to her
          lectures so often, you will have heard the repeated admonitions to
          not record her lectures, not give anyone notes from her lectures
          without the caveat that they are your interpretation of her words,
          not her words, and not to give her handouts to anyone who hasn't
          actually taken her classes.

          Her website contains a link to her posts on costume lists and the
          PDF for one of her workshops which doesn't say much really about how
          to make one of these dresses according to her theories, just that it
          works. That's it.. oh, and a link to a picture of her in one of
          these dresses. No publications. Yes, she's presented at the
          Kalamazoo conference, but so have a fair number of SCA people who
          *do* publish and put themselves out in the public eye for this -
          Drea Leed comes immediately to mind. Drea's website contains a lot
          of her research and articles, as well as those from other people on
          similar subjects. Drea has also published a book. Drea has taught
          at events without needing to have her expenses paid or be paid to be
          there. Sure, she's still in the SCA but she's also an enthusiastic
          independant scholar who wants others to see her research and use it -
          unlike Robin who doesn't seem to want it out there.

          Yes, many of Robin's theories make sense; however, I don't take
          anyone's word as the final say on something that has absolutely no
          extant garment evidence to back it up. I have yet to find the
          person I believe actually walks on water when it comes to theorizing
          how something was done with no physical evidence. As we've pointed
          out here, even Janet Arnold made mistakes and she did have the
          garments in many cases.

          Despina
        • Marc Carlson
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ACatelli@m... wrote:
            >> ??? said:
            >> Also remember that her theories are just that, theories. No matter
            >> how prettily she packages them, or how many paintings she puts
            >> together, they are theories until someone rips into a grave from
            >> the period and place and finds an intact gown.

            It's still a theory even then :)

            Moving past that into something being the carven in stone "fact"
            merely takes media exposure, or prefereably a preponderance of
            evidence. A garment is not a preponderance.of anything.

            Honestly, I like Robin - she and I don't always agree on every little
            detail, but we tend to approach these things from radically different
            directions. Even so, I have to say she knows her stuff. Of course,
            what do I know - I don't have anything in the professional literature
            either :)

            Marc/Diarmaid
          • demontsegur
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marc Carlson"
              <marccarlson20@h...> wrote:
              > Of course, what do I know - I don't have anything in the
              professional literature
              > either :)
              > Marc/Diarmaid

              Good point, Marc! Having been published somewhere 'out there' or not
              is not, in and of itself, a marker of worthiness or integrity (but
              it doesn't hurt, either). As Cainder also pointed out, Robin is up
              against a formidable barrier, copyright-wise, in order to fully
              express her theories on paper.

              I, personally, will jump at my chance to spend a day looking at art
              slides, but I'm a geek that way, and it is a totally separate love
              from my historical clothing research. I feel like I'll be getting
              double the bang for my buck. :^D

              -Marcele
            • sismith42
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
                > She also hasn't ever published anything as far as I know *and*
                she's

                She published something on 12th century clothing in the Winter 2002
                edition of TI... but I kinda agree that lecturing & not publishing
                (how hard is it to point to other places images can be found if you
                are unable to present them in your work?) is a bit... off-putting.
                Esp when not everyone can attend her lectures.

                Steph
              • Colleen McDonald
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
                  > For someone who doesn't do the SCA anymore unless she's a paid
                  > lecturer she gets a lot of SCA press. >>

                  Just to ensure clarity, Robin lectures to SCA groups because the groups
                  invite her and she's still fond of the Society, even though she herself has
                  moved on. She isn't actively lobbying to lecture for the SCA - folks
                  approach her. I think she gets a lot of SCA press because people find her
                  work to be helpful and her theories make sense.

                  > Since you've been to her
                  > lectures so often, you will have heard the repeated admonitions to
                  > not record her lectures, not give anyone notes from her lectures
                  > without the caveat that they are your interpretation of her words,
                  > not her words, and not to give her handouts to anyone who hasn't
                  > actually taken her classes.>>

                  This is to ensure that she can actually publish her work/theories in an
                  academic setting. If she allows recordings or publishes her work in a
                  handout for the SCA audience, it will have a damaging effect on her ability
                  to publish it and have it be a serious academic work.

                  <<Drea has taught at events without needing to have her expenses paid or be
                  paid to be
                  > there. >>

                  Drea is still an active participating member of the SCA (as far as I am
                  aware). Robin is not and lectures at events as a courtesy to the group. It
                  is not her primary interest (although she's delighted to discuss with us),
                  so I don't see it as unreasonable to ask for her travel to be included. If
                  she were not lecturing, she wouldn't be in the area.

                  I know that I really appreciate all of the time and energy Robin does spend
                  working with SCA folks and helping to get SCA folks on the presentation
                  schedule at Kalmazoo. Despina, I'm not sure if you realize that Robin is
                  one of the session organizers for K'zoo and she actively encourages and
                  works with SCA folks to get their information out there to the academic
                  community at the Congress? Without Robin's work in this area, I'm not sure
                  how many of them would have been accorded the same opportunity by the
                  academic community.

                  Cainder
                  (who organized Robin's lectures in Seattle last August)
                • Marc Carlson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "aheilvei" <aheilvei@u...> wrote:
                    > ...For someone who doesn't do the SCA anymore unless she's a paid
                    > lecturer she gets a lot of SCA press.

                    You will pardon me for this, but it's not like THAT's all that hard.
                    As an observation, people who actually do research and make it
                    available tend to get a lot of SCA attention. That's not a criticism
                    of anyone or anything - it's a system that's been quite useful for me
                    (not to mention good to me, and I appreicate that).

                    Now, I realize you are talking about theories being just that, and you
                    are prefectly correct. Some theories are well founded, some less so,
                    and it's good to be skeptical. And yes, I think she'd agree if she
                    were here.

                    Personally, while I think Robin's observations on Gothic posture as
                    they relate to how beauty is seen, and the use of garments to attain
                    this are valid (which for the folks who migh not know, doesn't mean
                    that I think they are true or not true - they are internally logically
                    supportable). I think the whole four cornered dress design is
                    intriguing speculation and does not contradict the evidence (note:
                    "speculation" in this context is not a criticism, it's simply a
                    statement that she's moved outside the established evidence and is
                    projecting an extrapilation based on that evidence. In this case that
                    extrapolation is I think reasonable give the current paucity of evidence).

                    I couldn't agree with you more that (and I hope I'm not putting worse
                    into your mouth here - I'm commenting on the general direction what
                    you have said appears to be going, not anything you've said directly)
                    people should keep in mind that what they are being given by any
                    scholar should be examined critically. Personally, I wish people
                    would do that with everything (television, books, academic articles,
                    and so forth), and not just Robin or myself, but if that's where we
                    have to start... Definately point out that the author has no obvious
                    publication (OK, I think she did publish an article in the TI a few
                    years ago) OTOH, the whole DISTAFF thing is pretty impressive,..
                    Kalamazoo doesn't give sessions to just anyone. :)

                    Marc/Diarmaid
                  • aheilvei
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
                      > This is to ensure that she can actually publish her work/theories
                      in an
                      > academic setting. If she allows recordings or publishes her work
                      in a
                      > handout for the SCA audience, it will have a damaging effect on
                      her ability
                      > to publish it and have it be a serious academic work.

                      Drea doesn't seem to have had that problem, or she wouldn't have
                      been invited back to Kalamazoo, nor would she have been able to
                      publish her book. So I really don't see where giving your
                      information to the SCA or people in the SCA would damage your
                      credibility with the academic community that much. No, people who
                      go to Kalamazoo and are SCA don't shout it from the rooftops, but if
                      asked, they usually fess up and are generally admired as someone who
                      did all the research without academic backing and resourses.

                      Despina, I'm not sure if you realize that Robin is
                      > one of the session organizers for K'zoo and she actively
                      encourages and
                      > works with SCA folks to get their information out there to the
                      academic
                      > community at the Congress? Without Robin's work in this area, I'm
                      not sure
                      > how many of them would have been accorded the same opportunity by
                      the
                      > academic community.

                      Yes, I do know what Robin does at Kalamzaoo (and yes, I do think
                      that having one's own session there is impressive) and I do think
                      that others would have been (and were) afforded the same opportunity
                      as Robin. She wasn't the first SCA person to attend Kalamazoo, I'd
                      bet. And I know that she isn't the only person at Kalamazoo pushing
                      for the inclusion of independant scholars, re-creationists, and re-
                      enactors work to be represented and considered there.

                      Like I said people, I don't have anything against her or her
                      research, just take it with the same pinch of salt you take
                      everything else.

                      Marc, you didn't put anything in my mouth with your last post, I
                      agree with what you said.

                      Despina
                    • sismith42
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
                        > > This is to ensure that she can actually publish her
                        work/theories in an academic setting. If she allows recordings or
                        publishes her work in a handout for the SCA audience, it will have
                        a damaging effect on her ability to publish it and have it be a
                        serious academic work.

                        > Drea doesn't seem to have had that problem, or she wouldn't have
                        > been invited back to Kalamazoo, nor would she have been able to
                        > publish her book. So I really don't see where giving your

                        has Drea published in any academic journals? I believe they can be
                        fussy at times about whether something's been published before, and
                        I think *that* is what Caindeer was refereing to, rather than
                        the "ewww, you do SCA" thing.

                        Steph
                      • Marc Carlson
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "aheilvei" <aheilvei@u...> wrote:
                          > ...Like I said people, I don't have anything against her or her
                          > research, just take it with the same pinch of salt you take
                          > everything else.
                          > Marc, you didn't put anything in my mouth with your last post, I
                          > agree with what you said.

                          Okie dokie :)

                          Which means that probably everyone should take a deep breath and avoid
                          posting for an hour or so after reading all the other mail in this
                          thread, because no one's being overly critical here by suggesting a
                          little critical thinking.

                          I will say if you are curious about why Robin doesn't publish - ask
                          her. My observation is that she's trying really hard to get
                          published, but because of the limited available spaces in academic
                          journals that have any interest in her topic, she's having to wait her
                          turn and do the slogging through. [in my case, otoh, I've been sucked
                          in by the demons of the Internet since it's so much easier to just put
                          up another wrb site, and revise the old ones, then it is to go through
                          that whole publication dance (in a much more limited field) every time
                          something new comes up. But that's MY problem. OTOH, that does
                          remind me I have an article on lasts to write FOR publication... ]

                          Just remember, if Publication was -easy- it wouldn't be a requirement
                          for tenure....

                          M/D
                        • demontsegur
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
                            wrote:
                            > For someone who doesn't do the SCA anymore unless she's a paid
                            > lecturer she gets a lot of SCA press.

                            Just one small point here -- Robin does not require being paid. In
                            negotiating with me for the Philadelphia appearance, she said she
                            only requires her travel, room, and board expenses be covered so
                            that she is not paying her own way out-of-pocket. Rather reasonable -
                            - considering there's a demand for her appearances and by taking
                            time away from her family, she's flying to far-off places to satisfy
                            that demand. She likes to receive an honorarium if and only IF the
                            monies collected can take that hit, as it helps her keep her
                            prodigious slide collection maintained, covers paper costs, etc. She
                            doesn't set the number, either, but leaves it up to the host. I get
                            the distinct impression she is far from getting rich on these
                            appearances. (As a side note, I won't be making one penny of profit
                            because any leftover money after expenses will go entirely to her,
                            with gratitude, because I think she will have more than earned it.)

                            If her lectures with slides are what she's willing to offer us, I
                            guess I'm willing to take that, no further questions asked. No-one
                            owes anyone else anything when they do their own research, right?
                            They can offer or not offer as much or as little of it as they want
                            for public consumption, and that's their perogative. Some people
                            research for their own pleasure. I know I do. I also like to publish
                            what I've found on my website because it's fun to share it, and I
                            will chat incessantly on certain topics in forums like this (hee
                            hee) but that's just me. :^D Everyone else's mileage may vary, and
                            AFAIK, it definitely does vary. To each their own, when it comes to
                            sharing research.

                            In contemplitude, :^)
                            Marcele
                          • Ariane H
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 1, 2003
                              marccarlson20@... wrote:

                              >Just remember, if Publication was -easy- it wouldn't be a requirement
                              >for tenure....
                              >
                              >M/D

                              But on the other hand (forgive me if someone else has already said
                              this), just because something has been published does not mean it should
                              be taken as the ultimate authority, either. My English seminar this
                              semester, while ostensibly about Elizabethan and Jacobean drama, also
                              requires us to read dozens of scholarly publications and figure out how
                              useful they are for helping us to analyze the play texts, understand
                              their historical background, etc. (Most of it is in literary theory,
                              but there's a lot of "new historicist" work that involves in-depth
                              research into things like period trade and commerce, medicine and
                              humoral theory, clothing, gender roles, etc.) Just as with any field of
                              research, some of this stuff is great, and some of it is seriously
                              flawed. In fact, the prof said of one unhelpful article we discussed
                              today, "This ought to show you how easy it can be to get published!" It
                              wasn't a totally derogatory statement - it would be virtually impossible
                              to avoid publication of all imperfect or incomplete work - but a
                              cautionary one. And even flawed or lacking work usually provokes
                              discussion and debate and further research, which is always a good thing.

                              In this same class today I had an amusing "You know you've been in the
                              SCA too long when..." moment (well, moments). We were reading John
                              Webster's "The White Devil" (1612) and the heroine/villainess of the
                              play is "Vittoria Corombona the famous Venetian Curtizan." I never knew
                              of the existence of this other Vittoria (based on the notorious Umbrian
                              noblewoman Vittoria Accorambini of Gubbio, d. 1585) until last week, but
                              that aside, it was very weird to be sitting in this discussion for two
                              hours, hearing the name "Vittoria" every other minute, and making myself
                              *not* respond to it. ;)

                              Ariane
                              (V. knows no literary theory after Aristotle)
                              "...Vittoria's performances deconstruct traditional gendered antitheses
                              and expose them as contingent on subjective construction.....Similarly,
                              Vittoria's accomplished performance of masculinity exposes those
                              cultural paradigms that underlie the rhetorical posturing of the men in
                              this play."
                              --C. Luckyj, "Gender, Rhetoric, and Performance in 'The White Devil'"