Re: Early 16th century Florentine Fabric Question

  • Conny
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2003
      Hi Ekaterina,

      I have recently joined this list (thanks for this everyone) because
      I am always interested in authenticity questions (while not being a
      member of the SCA, I hope you don't mind). But I do love history and
      historic costume in particular.

      Taking into account that the paining is by Raphael, why would you
      think the fabric in the dress is made of wool? It looks more like a
      silk taffeta (or similar close woven silk fabric), as it has no
      pattern and looks like a very fine weave, too. The silk lustre seems
      to be there as well, taking into account the general "dull" colours
      of the painting. The trim on the neck and the arms look like velvet
      to me, i.e.napped, but I'm not sure about the sleeves. The drape
      suggests a heavier fabric, so you might be right with the velvet
      there, too.

      A few ideas.... hope they help.

      Conny