Re: Hemp Fabric Question

  • matchstc
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 13, 2003
      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "demontsegur"
      > Not quite sure why you'd think there's a relationship between those
      > two distinctly different industries. Hemp was grown widely for use
      as
      > a fibre in this country (the US) throughout its colonial period,
      all
      > through the 18th and 19th centuries, and in the 20th century too.

      I'm not sure there is that much difference. They will interbreed and
      having one creates a "blind" for the other. This plant once
      established, is kinda like kudzu, very hard to contain. It's still a
      problem weed (pun intended) in the midwest.

      Theres a lot of people in the "fiber" legalization camp that are
      also in the THC camp. You'll hear arguments of fiber use, paper pulp
      and biomass for energy (all of which the plant does well for) You'll
      hear arguments of it being an easy to grow crop on worn out land etc..

      But I personally doubt it will ever be legalized in any format on a
      wide scale in this country for various political and economic reasons.

      Thankfully the fiber can be purchased legally at a reasonable price
      from countries a little more forward thinking.

      seeya
      mighel