Re: Fw: [SCA-Garb] Captains historic costume info

  • dparishwhittaker
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2003
      There's just a couple of pictures of Elizabethan sailors out there-
      kind funky looking, big billowing breeches, with a sort of cassock
      (undoubtedly over a warm doublet) and a furry hat that looks like one
      of those Russian fur hats. The book on the Armada in the Osprey
      series has a woodcut of a sailor.

      I've seen these folks-
      http://www.st-mike.org/groups/mariner/
      Their male impressions look good. I imagine that their costume guide
      would be a good start for a SCA nautical themed household. BTW, I
      believe that they get their hats from Swedish naval surplus- these
      come with a brim which they cut off. Voila, 16th century sailor hat.