Re:Award Documents

  • Susan and Frank Downs
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5 7:46 PM
      Greetings, all!

      I am a scribe, currently inactive, in Atlantia. We have a backlog of award
      documents (g) that is steadily shrinking as more people take up scribal
      pursuits. This makes me very very happy, as I'm still waiting for the scroll
      that will mean the most to me, my Court Barony/Grant of Arms, given to me
      after I stepped down as third Baroness of Black Diamond. That was in 1987.

      If you're not a scribe yourself, please take time to seek out and thank
      those who create your scrolls. They usually spend their own money for
      materials, as well as many hours of valuable time, to make awards for people
      they may not even know. Sadly, I've made twenty-some-odd scrolls for Kingdom
      awards, and I've only been thanked by one recipient. (And, no, my work
      wasn't bad! In one case, I won a competition with a scroll that greatly
      pleased the recipient, judging from the look on her face...which I saw from
      a distance, as she never actually spoke with me.)

      I did receive a late-night, ranting phone call from one noodlehead about
      his wife's scroll. I created it as part of a pile of "scroll blanks,"
      pre-made AoA scrolls, all original, hand-painted, and calligraphed, with
      blanks left for name and date. Someone else (not me) had filled in the
      lady's name, and "misspelled" it, because they used the registered spelling
      of her name, rather than the one she preferred. I still had to listen to an
      angry fellow I didn't know at 11:00 at night.

      I don't mean to sound bitter--I'm not! But it might be a delightful surprise
      if we all thanked those whose work we cherish, in person, more often. An
      especially authentic touch would be a small thank-you gift or token. Just a
      thought.

      Regards,
      Caitilin