RE: [Authentic_SCA] Stash management was Textile conservation

  • Marsha McLean
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
      I worked in a fabric store when I was in Columbus, a Joanne's. I was
      too clueless to buy the good stuff so what I have from back then is
      pretty much junk that I'm sloooly culling. My main stash is silk and
      some wool and a lovely figured velvet that was extremely tacky drapes
      but will be reborn in splendor as a ropa.

      I sew the occasional formalwear (less since divorce!) and going-out
      outfit and garb and that's it.

      Unfortunately I am a total sucker for silks. I can't *not* buy them.
      Then I take them home and revel in them. A new sari usually lives on my
      bed for a day or two. Heaven help me in India! I *know* I'm gonna
      amaze customs with what I bring back.

      And than I'll be toast for storage, because each sari is a very personal
      thing for me and I could never give them up.

      Madinia
    • Talia
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
        Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
        sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

        Thanks in advance,

        Talia
        Barony of Forgotten Sea
        Calontir
      • Kirrily Robert
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
          Talia wrote:
          > Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
          > sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

          Start with Stefan's Florilegium at http://florilegium.org/ ... I know he
          hangs out on the sca-cooks list and collects the best articles from
          there, so if you find the sugar-paste articles you should find some good
          references to get you started.

          But, in short, just about any 16th century cookbook is going to have
          recipes for one or the other :)

          Yours,

          Katherine

          katherine@... http://elizabethangeek.com/
        • aheilvei
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
            Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now but he wanted me to tell you:

            Tell them to look in the archives.
            Or in the florelegium.
            Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

            Smiles,
            Despina de la sorry I can't help more
          • Christina L Biles
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
              Despina said:
              Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

              I uploaded a file from the 1602 edition of Delights for Ladies (image 16)
              that has a nice long sugar plate recipe. In case anyone cares, I found it
              in EEBO.

              -Magdalena
            • Marsha McLean
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                > Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now
                > Despina de la sorry I can't help more

                OOH! Kinky cook-type guy! Despina should be helping.

                Madinia de la caffeine, me?!
              • peterofmarin
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 1, 2003
                  Hi Marsha,

                  Use silicagel packs if you expect any humidity. Plastic tubs work well, use acid-free
                  tissue if you need to separate heavily dyed pieces. store tubs up off the ground.

                  -Peter
                  http://www.RenaissanceGoods.com