RE: [Authentic_SCA] Stash management was Textile conservation

  • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
      >Wow! And I thought I had a lot.

      I've culled it several times, but it seems to keep growing anyway.
      When I was in college I worked in a fabric store. Later a job was a
      short walk away from a couture fabric store, I spent more time and
      money than I should of in that place. Except for garb, I don't sew
      that much any more, but sometimes I just can't resist buying
      something.

      At the old house I had a closet with shelves for my fabric and
      fibers, but not nearly the space here at the new apartment. And all
      the linen that I bought a year ago at Pennsic is still missing in the
      storage locker. :(

      Ranvaig
    • Marsha McLean
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
        I worked in a fabric store when I was in Columbus, a Joanne's. I was
        too clueless to buy the good stuff so what I have from back then is
        pretty much junk that I'm sloooly culling. My main stash is silk and
        some wool and a lovely figured velvet that was extremely tacky drapes
        but will be reborn in splendor as a ropa.

        I sew the occasional formalwear (less since divorce!) and going-out
        outfit and garb and that's it.

        Unfortunately I am a total sucker for silks. I can't *not* buy them.
        Then I take them home and revel in them. A new sari usually lives on my
        bed for a day or two. Heaven help me in India! I *know* I'm gonna
        amaze customs with what I bring back.

        And than I'll be toast for storage, because each sari is a very personal
        thing for me and I could never give them up.

        Madinia
      • Talia
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
          Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
          sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

          Thanks in advance,

          Talia
          Barony of Forgotten Sea
          Calontir
        • Kirrily Robert
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
            Talia wrote:
            > Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
            > sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

            Start with Stefan's Florilegium at http://florilegium.org/ ... I know he
            hangs out on the sca-cooks list and collects the best articles from
            there, so if you find the sugar-paste articles you should find some good
            references to get you started.

            But, in short, just about any 16th century cookbook is going to have
            recipes for one or the other :)

            Yours,

            Katherine

            katherine@... http://elizabethangeek.com/
          • aheilvei
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
              Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now but he wanted me to tell you:

              Tell them to look in the archives.
              Or in the florelegium.
              Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

              Smiles,
              Despina de la sorry I can't help more
            • Christina L Biles
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                Despina said:
                Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                I uploaded a file from the 1602 edition of Delights for Ladies (image 16)
                that has a nice long sugar plate recipe. In case anyone cares, I found it
                in EEBO.

                -Magdalena
              • Marsha McLean
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                  > Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now
                  > Despina de la sorry I can't help more

                  OOH! Kinky cook-type guy! Despina should be helping.

                  Madinia de la caffeine, me?!
                • peterofmarin
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 1, 2003
                    Hi Marsha,

                    Use silicagel packs if you expect any humidity. Plastic tubs work well, use acid-free
                    tissue if you need to separate heavily dyed pieces. store tubs up off the ground.

                    -Peter
                    http://www.RenaissanceGoods.com