Re: [Authentic_SCA] Book search

  • Christina L Biles
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
      Despina asked:

      >>>So you're looking for a particular book. What book is it and why do
      you want it so very badly?

      Sigh. The list is so very, very long....

      Most of my list is simply waiting their turn for me to request them via
      ILL, but here's one I can't get through my ILL department.

      Smocks, shirts, falling bands and mantuas, a paper on evidence of early
      ready-to-wear clothing, Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta: problemi e
      richerche Atti del V Convegno Internazionale del CISST, Milano, 26-28
      Febbrario 1990, Florence, 1991, pp 17 - 27.

      I want this one for my ongoing research into sixteenth and early
      seventeenth century shirts (and body linens in general). And it's
      really, really annoying to do a lit review where you can't get your hands
      on a paper you _know_ is important. ;>

      -Magdalena
    • aheilvei
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
        I'm not really good at deciphering things on the current meds.

        The publication for this is: Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta:
        problemi e richerche Atti del V Convegno Internazionale del CISST

        and the title of the paper is: Smocks, shirts, falling bands and
        mantuas, a paper on evidence of early ready-to-wear clothing

        Place of publication is Milan or Florence? in February of 1990 or
        1991? Pages are 17-27?

        I can try to request it from my library or from their ILL system for
        you if I know how to... sorry, the meds are a bit heavy today.
        Usually I'm more on the ball than this.

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • Christina L Biles
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
          I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to beg a friend who is an
          ILL librarian to get it for me. It falls very much under the "extra mile"
          category. (Otherwise my own ILL people could get it...)

          -Magdalena

          To "translate" the citation:

          Smocks, shirts, falling bands and mantuas, a paper on evidence of early
          ready-to-wear clothing, Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta: problemi e
          richerche Atti del V Convegno Internazionale del CISST, Milano, 26-28
          Febbrario 1990, Florence, 1991, pp 17 - 27.

          Author of book:
          Centro italiano per lo studio della storia del tessuto (Milan, Italy)

          Author (which I somehow didn't type in...) of article:
          Janet Arnold

          Title of book (or conference proceedings?):
          Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta: problemi e richerche:
          Atti del V Convegno Internazionale del CISST, Milano 26-28
          Febbrario 1990

          Google translation:
          (For One History of the Ready Fashion: problems and richerche:
          Actions of V the International Convention of the CISST, Milan 26-28
          Febbrario 1990)

          Article/chapter title/whatever:
          Smocks, shirts, falling bands and mantuas, a paper on evidence of early
          ready-to-wear clothing

          Publication date:
          1991

          Article is found on pages:
          17-27

          Dates/places:
          The 5th conference of the CISST (see author) was held in Milano in 1990,
          the proceedings? were published in Florence in 1991.
        • Marsha McLean
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
            I have a line on it being at University of Toronto. I'll update the
            list as I get more info. My fierce attack ex-librarian is on it and has
            seen it.

            Madinia

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Colleen McDonald
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
              > Smocks, shirts, falling bands and mantuas, a paper on evidence of early
              > ready-to-wear clothing, Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta: problemi e
              > richerche Atti del V Convegno Internazionale del CISST, Milano, 26-28
              > Febbrario 1990, Florence, 1991, pp 17 - 27.

              _Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta: problemi e richerche_ is the title of the
              work (loosely translated - History of Ready-to-Wear: problems in research.)
              It looks like the proceedings from the Atti del V Convegno Internazionale
              del CISST, which was held in Milan, February 26-28 1990. It was published
              in Florence in 1991.

              Have you tried www.bookfinder.com (the Italian language section) or
              http://maremagnum.com to search for the book? I've had good luck finding
              odd things via both of these sites. The folks at Maremagnum speak English
              and are incredibly helpful.

              In service, I remain

              Cainder
            • aheilvei
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                I keep putting you on moderation because you don't snip your posts
                and people on digest complain.

                Please snip the posts. If you're posting from the website, it's
                easy - get in the box to type, hold the control key and hit the
                letter a then let up on both of those (the text should all be in
                black) and hit the delete key. This will completely erase the
                entire text to which you are responding and everyone won't have to
                see it again and again and again.

                You can do this select all and delete for nearly every email program
                of which I know.

                Despina
              • Christina L Biles
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                  >>>Have you tried www.bookfinder.com (the Italian language section) or
                  http://maremagnum.com to search for the book?

                  I will, but only after I've truly given up hope of getting the section I
                  want via ILL. I'm a firm believer in the value of libraries. I have a
                  limited amount of space in my house for books, so I try not to buy
                  everything that catches my eye. (If I did, there would be no space for
                  me...) I generally ILL a book first to determine whether or not it is
                  worth space on my bookshelf. In this particular case, I'm pretty sure I
                  only want the one section, so ILLing just that bit makes much more sense
                  for me.

                  -Magdalena
                • Marsha McLean
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                    But, but, I have been I've been deleting all the yahoo crap and any text
                    that doesn't seem to be relevant. I do leave in relevant text. Like
                    below:

                    > From: aheilvei [mailto:aheilvei@...]
                    > I keep putting you on moderation because you don't snip your posts
                    > and people on digest complain.
                    > Please snip the posts.
                    > Despina
                  • aheilvei
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                      My apologies to the list and Madinia - meant that post to go to her
                      privatly, not on the list. It is not the custom here to do such a
                      thing. I am truly sorry.

                      Despina
                    • Marsha McLean
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                        Well, once Bogdan gets untied, he can give you 20 lashes with a wet
                        noodle.

                        No biggie,

                        Madinia

                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                          > Well, once Bogdan gets untied, he can give you 20 lashes with a wet
                          > noodle.
                          >
                          > No biggie,

                          Thanks for your graciousness Madinia. I think it's time for me to
                          take my meds and go home. (I'll have to scour the kitchen to see
                          what type of noodles I'm going to be beaten with....)

                          g'nite everyone,
                          Despina
                        • Beatrice Sidney
                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                            Despina asked:

                            >>>So you're looking for a particular book. What book is it and why do
                            you want it so very badly?

                            Another *sigh* from this corner. The book I want is Plucked, Shaved and Braided: Medieval and Renaissance Beauty and Grooming Practices 1000-1600. I can't have it until they release it, which is now (supposedly) February 2004.

                            Why do I want it? Because I want to know how the hair *under* the lovely hats goes and maybe how to do it.

                            I also want my copy of Alcega, which has been on order forever, but that's another story...

                            Beatrice
                            Calontir

                            It is said that knowledge comes only to those who seek it; but some knowledge pursues us without respite or mercy.

                          • Marsha McLean
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                              Thanks for the rec. I'll keep my eye out for it as well, it would be a
                              good thing for me to have. Let us know if you hear more about it's
                              publication?

                              > From: Beatrice Sidney [mailto:beatricesidney@...]
                              > I also want my copy of Alcega, which has been on order forever

                              Have you tried Poison Pen Press? They usually carry it...
                              http://www.poisonpenpress.com/costume.html

                              Madinia
                            • Lady_Lark_Azure
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "aheilvei" <aheilvei@u...>
                                wrote:
                                > So you're looking for a particular book. What book is it and why
                                do
                                > you want it so very badly?

                                I know I can't afford it ($1,500), so I'll settle for finding
                                _Codices Cantorum_ at a Library less than 2 hours away. A collection
                                of reproductions of period choir books at the Vatican. Need I say
                                more?

                                Isabeau
                              • aheilvei
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                  > I know I can't afford it ($1,500), so I'll settle for finding
                                  > _Codices Cantorum_ at a Library less than 2 hours away. A
                                  collection
                                  > of reproductions of period choir books at the Vatican. Need I say
                                  > more?

                                  That's not so bad Isabeau. The manuscript facsimilie that I want
                                  most is only $19,000US. *sigh*

                                  Despina
                                • Lyle H. Gray
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, aheilvei wrote:

                                    > > I know I can't afford it ($1,500), so I'll settle for finding
                                    > > _Codices Cantorum_ at a Library less than 2 hours away. A
                                    > collection
                                    > > of reproductions of period choir books at the Vatican. Need I say
                                    > > more?
                                    >
                                    > That's not so bad Isabeau. The manuscript facsimilie that I want
                                    > most is only $19,000US. *sigh*

                                    Oh, heck, the book I want (J.A. Szirmai, "The Archaeology of
                                    Medieval Bookbinding) is only $125, and I still can't afford
                                    it...

                                    --
                                    Lyle H. Gray
                                    gray@... -- text only, please
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                      > Oh, heck, the book I want (J.A. Szirmai, "The Archaeology of
                                      > Medieval Bookbinding) is only $125, and I still can't afford
                                      > it...

                                      ooooo, I love that book! Great choice!

                                      Despina de la has the library copy on the shelf at home but will
                                      have to give it back someday....
                                    • Lady_Lark_Azure
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                        > That's not so bad Isabeau. The manuscript facsimilie that I want
                                        > most is only $19,000 US. *sigh*

                                        Wow!! And I thought the Hours of Jeanne d'Evreux were bad at
                                        $5,300. At least I do know where I can look at the book I want, even
                                        if it is two hours away.

                                        On the subject of "scrolls" I have to say that I like knowing things
                                        are appropriate to my persona, but I'll take whatever my crazy
                                        friends and family are willing to do. I think that the time and
                                        effort of people who love me go far more into my reaction than either
                                        the "pretty" or "period" factor.

                                        I think Eloise of Coulter probably still gets a grin from her scroll
                                        done on powder blue paper, in crayon, with lots of silver glitter
                                        from when she was crowned "scroll fairy" after completing 52
                                        beautiful, original "scrolls" in a 6 month period. Since it wasn't
                                        an official SCA award, just a thank you from the reigning monarchs it
                                        was perfect (of course the fairy wings, crown and scroll that went
                                        with it didn't hurt).

                                        Isabeau
                                      • Lyle H. Gray
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                          On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, aheilvei wrote:

                                          > > Oh, heck, the book I want (J.A. Szirmai, "The Archaeology of
                                          > > Medieval Bookbinding) is only $125, and I still can't afford
                                          > > it...
                                          >
                                          > ooooo, I love that book! Great choice!
                                          >
                                          > Despina de la has the library copy on the shelf at home but
                                          > will have to give it back someday....

                                          I know whereof you speak...

                                          Lyle
                                          (Who has done the very same thing...)
                                        • Yana
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 6, 2003
                                            >Despina de la has the library copy on the shelf at home but will
                                            >have to give it back someday....

                                            Yes, we (library people) do like the books to visit home once in a great
                                            while...but we are even more happy that they are getting used!

                                            --Yana, proto-librarian
                                          • faena0216
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 13, 2003
                                              Have you seen the book "Non Adhesive Binding, books without paste or
                                              glue" by Keith A. Smith? Coptic stitch starts on page 204, I believe.
                                              If you know what the binding it is you want to re-create, this book
                                              may show you how, with excellent illustrations.

                                              Nancy M McKenna

                                              > Oh, heck, the book I want (J.A. Szirmai, "The Archaeology of
                                              > Medieval Bookbinding) is only $125, and I still can't afford
                                              > it...
                                              >
                                              > --
                                              > Lyle H. Gray
                                              > gray@c... -- text only, please
                                            • aheilvei
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 13, 2003
                                                > Have you seen the book "Non Adhesive Binding, books without paste
                                                or
                                                > glue" by Keith A. Smith? Coptic stitch starts on page 204, I
                                                believe.
                                                > If you know what the binding it is you want to re-create, this
                                                book
                                                > may show you how, with excellent illustrations.
                                                >
                                                > Nancy M McKenna

                                                No, I hadn't but now I'm looking for it in the library here.... :)

                                                THANKS!

                                                Despina
                                              • Lyle H. Gray
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 13, 2003
                                                  On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, faena0216 wrote:

                                                  > Have you seen the book "Non Adhesive Binding, books without
                                                  > paste or glue" by Keith A. Smith? Coptic stitch starts on
                                                  > page 204, I believe. If you know what the binding it is you
                                                  > want to re-create, this book may show you how, with excellent
                                                  > illustrations.

                                                  Yes, I've seen it. What I'm after isn't in it. I have several
                                                  books on the methodologies of bookbinding -- what I'm after is
                                                  various ways those methodologies were combined in various
                                                  bindings.

                                                  --
                                                  Lyle H. Gray
                                                  gray@... -- text only, please
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 13, 2003
                                                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle H. Gray" <gray@c...> wrote:
                                                    > Oh, heck, the book I want (J.A. Szirmai, "The Archaeology of
                                                    > Medieval Bookbinding) is only $125, and I still can't afford
                                                    > it...

                                                    Have you tried Interlibrary Loan? Even taking into account the fact
                                                    that some folks are holding on to them (or for that matter the few who
                                                    have their library's copies on what is euphamistically called
                                                    "permanent loan") there are 199 libraries across the planet that are
                                                    listed as holders for this item - 21 of those are outside the US.
                                                    Even taking into account the numbers that are likely non-circulating,
                                                    non-lending libraries, checked out or missing, there should still be
                                                    20-30 copies out there available for ILL.

                                                    Marc/Diarmaid