RE: [Authentic_SCA] Stash management was Textile conservation

  • Marsha McLean
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
      Ah. Saris and silks are a bit more compact, easily folding to file
      (although thick) size.. Wools and cottons are another matter and would
      take more space.

      I tend to but in 5 or 8 yard pieces, depending on whether the piece is
      for a kirtle (5), or gown (8+). Or <shrug> to supplement a sari, which
      isn't quite enough for a gown without more fudging than I care to do.

      Madinia

      text of previous message cut by moderator
    • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
        >Wow! And I thought I had a lot.

        I've culled it several times, but it seems to keep growing anyway.
        When I was in college I worked in a fabric store. Later a job was a
        short walk away from a couture fabric store, I spent more time and
        money than I should of in that place. Except for garb, I don't sew
        that much any more, but sometimes I just can't resist buying
        something.

        At the old house I had a closet with shelves for my fabric and
        fibers, but not nearly the space here at the new apartment. And all
        the linen that I bought a year ago at Pennsic is still missing in the
        storage locker. :(

        Ranvaig
      • Marsha McLean
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
          I worked in a fabric store when I was in Columbus, a Joanne's. I was
          too clueless to buy the good stuff so what I have from back then is
          pretty much junk that I'm sloooly culling. My main stash is silk and
          some wool and a lovely figured velvet that was extremely tacky drapes
          but will be reborn in splendor as a ropa.

          I sew the occasional formalwear (less since divorce!) and going-out
          outfit and garb and that's it.

          Unfortunately I am a total sucker for silks. I can't *not* buy them.
          Then I take them home and revel in them. A new sari usually lives on my
          bed for a day or two. Heaven help me in India! I *know* I'm gonna
          amaze customs with what I bring back.

          And than I'll be toast for storage, because each sari is a very personal
          thing for me and I could never give them up.

          Madinia
        • Talia
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
            Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
            sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

            Thanks in advance,

            Talia
            Barony of Forgotten Sea
            Calontir
          • Kirrily Robert
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
              Talia wrote:
              > Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
              > sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

              Start with Stefan's Florilegium at http://florilegium.org/ ... I know he
              hangs out on the sca-cooks list and collects the best articles from
              there, so if you find the sugar-paste articles you should find some good
              references to get you started.

              But, in short, just about any 16th century cookbook is going to have
              recipes for one or the other :)

              Yours,

              Katherine

              katherine@... http://elizabethangeek.com/
            • aheilvei
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now but he wanted me to tell you:

                Tell them to look in the archives.
                Or in the florelegium.
                Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                Smiles,
                Despina de la sorry I can't help more
              • Christina L Biles
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                  Despina said:
                  Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                  I uploaded a file from the 1602 edition of Delights for Ladies (image 16)
                  that has a nice long sugar plate recipe. In case anyone cares, I found it
                  in EEBO.

                  -Magdalena
                • Marsha McLean
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                    > Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now
                    > Despina de la sorry I can't help more

                    OOH! Kinky cook-type guy! Despina should be helping.

                    Madinia de la caffeine, me?!
                  • peterofmarin
                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 1, 2003
                      Hi Marsha,

                      Use silicagel packs if you expect any humidity. Plastic tubs work well, use acid-free
                      tissue if you need to separate heavily dyed pieces. store tubs up off the ground.

                      -Peter
                      http://www.RenaissanceGoods.com