Book search

  • aheilvei
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
      So you're looking for a particular book. What book is it and why do
      you want it so very badly?

      Right now I'm looking for a copy of Gaster's _Ketubah_ for research
      for my art business and a paper that I'm trying to write about the
      history of the decoration of the document. (Ketubot are Jewish
      marriage contracts - ketubah is singular, ketubot is the plural.)

      Anyone else?

      Smiles,
      Despina

      The Skilled Quill
      Fine art for all occasions
      www.theskilledquill.com
    • Christina L Biles
      Message 2 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
        Despina asked:

        >>>So you're looking for a particular book. What book is it and why do
        you want it so very badly?

        Sigh. The list is so very, very long....

        Most of my list is simply waiting their turn for me to request them via
        ILL, but here's one I can't get through my ILL department.

        Smocks, shirts, falling bands and mantuas, a paper on evidence of early
        ready-to-wear clothing, Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta: problemi e
        richerche Atti del V Convegno Internazionale del CISST, Milano, 26-28
        Febbrario 1990, Florence, 1991, pp 17 - 27.

        I want this one for my ongoing research into sixteenth and early
        seventeenth century shirts (and body linens in general). And it's
        really, really annoying to do a lit review where you can't get your hands
        on a paper you _know_ is important. ;>

        -Magdalena
      • aheilvei
        Message 3 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
          I'm not really good at deciphering things on the current meds.

          The publication for this is: Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta:
          problemi e richerche Atti del V Convegno Internazionale del CISST

          and the title of the paper is: Smocks, shirts, falling bands and
          mantuas, a paper on evidence of early ready-to-wear clothing

          Place of publication is Milan or Florence? in February of 1990 or
          1991? Pages are 17-27?

          I can try to request it from my library or from their ILL system for
          you if I know how to... sorry, the meds are a bit heavy today.
          Usually I'm more on the ball than this.

          Smiles,
          Despina
        • Christina L Biles
          Message 4 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
            I appreciate the offer, but I think I'm going to beg a friend who is an
            ILL librarian to get it for me. It falls very much under the "extra mile"
            category. (Otherwise my own ILL people could get it...)

            -Magdalena

            To "translate" the citation:

            Smocks, shirts, falling bands and mantuas, a paper on evidence of early
            ready-to-wear clothing, Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta: problemi e
            richerche Atti del V Convegno Internazionale del CISST, Milano, 26-28
            Febbrario 1990, Florence, 1991, pp 17 - 27.

            Author of book:
            Centro italiano per lo studio della storia del tessuto (Milan, Italy)

            Author (which I somehow didn't type in...) of article:
            Janet Arnold

            Title of book (or conference proceedings?):
            Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta: problemi e richerche:
            Atti del V Convegno Internazionale del CISST, Milano 26-28
            Febbrario 1990

            Google translation:
            (For One History of the Ready Fashion: problems and richerche:
            Actions of V the International Convention of the CISST, Milan 26-28
            Febbrario 1990)

            Article/chapter title/whatever:
            Smocks, shirts, falling bands and mantuas, a paper on evidence of early
            ready-to-wear clothing

            Publication date:
            1991

            Article is found on pages:
            17-27

            Dates/places:
            The 5th conference of the CISST (see author) was held in Milano in 1990,
            the proceedings? were published in Florence in 1991.
          • Marsha McLean
            Message 5 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
              I have a line on it being at University of Toronto. I'll update the
              list as I get more info. My fierce attack ex-librarian is on it and has
              seen it.

              Madinia

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Colleen McDonald
              Message 6 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                > Smocks, shirts, falling bands and mantuas, a paper on evidence of early
                > ready-to-wear clothing, Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta: problemi e
                > richerche Atti del V Convegno Internazionale del CISST, Milano, 26-28
                > Febbrario 1990, Florence, 1991, pp 17 - 27.

                _Per Una Storia della Moda Pronta: problemi e richerche_ is the title of the
                work (loosely translated - History of Ready-to-Wear: problems in research.)
                It looks like the proceedings from the Atti del V Convegno Internazionale
                del CISST, which was held in Milan, February 26-28 1990. It was published
                in Florence in 1991.

                Have you tried www.bookfinder.com (the Italian language section) or
                http://maremagnum.com to search for the book? I've had good luck finding
                odd things via both of these sites. The folks at Maremagnum speak English
                and are incredibly helpful.

                In service, I remain

                Cainder
              • aheilvei
                Message 7 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                  I keep putting you on moderation because you don't snip your posts
                  and people on digest complain.

                  Please snip the posts. If you're posting from the website, it's
                  easy - get in the box to type, hold the control key and hit the
                  letter a then let up on both of those (the text should all be in
                  black) and hit the delete key. This will completely erase the
                  entire text to which you are responding and everyone won't have to
                  see it again and again and again.

                  You can do this select all and delete for nearly every email program
                  of which I know.

                  Despina
                • Christina L Biles
                  Message 8 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                    >>>Have you tried www.bookfinder.com (the Italian language section) or
                    http://maremagnum.com to search for the book?

                    I will, but only after I've truly given up hope of getting the section I
                    want via ILL. I'm a firm believer in the value of libraries. I have a
                    limited amount of space in my house for books, so I try not to buy
                    everything that catches my eye. (If I did, there would be no space for
                    me...) I generally ILL a book first to determine whether or not it is
                    worth space on my bookshelf. In this particular case, I'm pretty sure I
                    only want the one section, so ILLing just that bit makes much more sense
                    for me.

                    -Magdalena
                  • Marsha McLean
                    Message 9 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                      But, but, I have been I've been deleting all the yahoo crap and any text
                      that doesn't seem to be relevant. I do leave in relevant text. Like
                      below:

                      > From: aheilvei [mailto:aheilvei@...]
                      > I keep putting you on moderation because you don't snip your posts
                      > and people on digest complain.
                      > Please snip the posts.
                      > Despina
                    • aheilvei
                      Message 10 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                        My apologies to the list and Madinia - meant that post to go to her
                        privatly, not on the list. It is not the custom here to do such a
                        thing. I am truly sorry.

                        Despina
                      • Marsha McLean
                        Message 11 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                          Well, once Bogdan gets untied, he can give you 20 lashes with a wet
                          noodle.

                          No biggie,

                          Madinia

                          Message 12 of 25 , Nov 4, 2003
                            > Well, once Bogdan gets untied, he can give you 20 lashes with a wet
                            > noodle.
                            >
                            > No biggie,

                            Thanks for your graciousness Madinia. I think it's time for me to
                            take my meds and go home. (I'll have to scour the kitchen to see
                            what type of noodles I'm going to be beaten with....)

                            g'nite everyone,
                            Despina
                          • Beatrice Sidney
                            Message 13 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                              Despina asked:

                              >>>So you're looking for a particular book. What book is it and why do
                              you want it so very badly?

                              Another *sigh* from this corner. The book I want is Plucked, Shaved and Braided: Medieval and Renaissance Beauty and Grooming Practices 1000-1600. I can't have it until they release it, which is now (supposedly) February 2004.

                              Why do I want it? Because I want to know how the hair *under* the lovely hats goes and maybe how to do it.

                              I also want my copy of Alcega, which has been on order forever, but that's another story...

                              Beatrice
                              Calontir

                              It is said that knowledge comes only to those who seek it; but some knowledge pursues us without respite or mercy.

                            • Marsha McLean
                              Message 14 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                Thanks for the rec. I'll keep my eye out for it as well, it would be a
                                good thing for me to have. Let us know if you hear more about it's
                                publication?

                                > From: Beatrice Sidney [mailto:beatricesidney@...]
                                > I also want my copy of Alcega, which has been on order forever

                                Have you tried Poison Pen Press? They usually carry it...
                                http://www.poisonpenpress.com/costume.html

                                Madinia
                              • Lady_Lark_Azure
                                Message 15 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "aheilvei" <aheilvei@u...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > So you're looking for a particular book. What book is it and why
                                  do
                                  > you want it so very badly?

                                  I know I can't afford it ($1,500), so I'll settle for finding
                                  _Codices Cantorum_ at a Library less than 2 hours away. A collection
                                  of reproductions of period choir books at the Vatican. Need I say
                                  more?

                                  Isabeau
                                • aheilvei
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                    > I know I can't afford it ($1,500), so I'll settle for finding
                                    > _Codices Cantorum_ at a Library less than 2 hours away. A
                                    collection
                                    > of reproductions of period choir books at the Vatican. Need I say
                                    > more?

                                    That's not so bad Isabeau. The manuscript facsimilie that I want
                                    most is only $19,000US. *sigh*

                                    Despina
                                  • Lyle H. Gray
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                      On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, aheilvei wrote:

                                      > > I know I can't afford it ($1,500), so I'll settle for finding
                                      > > _Codices Cantorum_ at a Library less than 2 hours away. A
                                      > collection
                                      > > of reproductions of period choir books at the Vatican. Need I say
                                      > > more?
                                      >
                                      > That's not so bad Isabeau. The manuscript facsimilie that I want
                                      > most is only $19,000US. *sigh*

                                      Oh, heck, the book I want (J.A. Szirmai, "The Archaeology of
                                      Medieval Bookbinding) is only $125, and I still can't afford
                                      it...

                                      --
                                      Lyle H. Gray
                                      gray@... -- text only, please
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                        > Oh, heck, the book I want (J.A. Szirmai, "The Archaeology of
                                        > Medieval Bookbinding) is only $125, and I still can't afford
                                        > it...

                                        ooooo, I love that book! Great choice!

                                        Despina de la has the library copy on the shelf at home but will
                                        have to give it back someday....
                                      • Lady_Lark_Azure
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                          > That's not so bad Isabeau. The manuscript facsimilie that I want
                                          > most is only $19,000 US. *sigh*

                                          Wow!! And I thought the Hours of Jeanne d'Evreux were bad at
                                          $5,300. At least I do know where I can look at the book I want, even
                                          if it is two hours away.

                                          On the subject of "scrolls" I have to say that I like knowing things
                                          are appropriate to my persona, but I'll take whatever my crazy
                                          friends and family are willing to do. I think that the time and
                                          effort of people who love me go far more into my reaction than either
                                          the "pretty" or "period" factor.

                                          I think Eloise of Coulter probably still gets a grin from her scroll
                                          done on powder blue paper, in crayon, with lots of silver glitter
                                          from when she was crowned "scroll fairy" after completing 52
                                          beautiful, original "scrolls" in a 6 month period. Since it wasn't
                                          an official SCA award, just a thank you from the reigning monarchs it
                                          was perfect (of course the fairy wings, crown and scroll that went
                                          with it didn't hurt).

                                          Isabeau
                                        • Lyle H. Gray
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 5, 2003
                                            On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, aheilvei wrote:

                                            > > Oh, heck, the book I want (J.A. Szirmai, "The Archaeology of
                                            > > Medieval Bookbinding) is only $125, and I still can't afford
                                            > > it...
                                            >
                                            > ooooo, I love that book! Great choice!
                                            >
                                            > Despina de la has the library copy on the shelf at home but
                                            > will have to give it back someday....

                                            I know whereof you speak...

                                            Lyle
                                            (Who has done the very same thing...)
                                          • Yana
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 6, 2003
                                              >Despina de la has the library copy on the shelf at home but will
                                              >have to give it back someday....

                                              Yes, we (library people) do like the books to visit home once in a great
                                              while...but we are even more happy that they are getting used!

                                              --Yana, proto-librarian
                                            • faena0216
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Nov 13, 2003
                                                Have you seen the book "Non Adhesive Binding, books without paste or
                                                glue" by Keith A. Smith? Coptic stitch starts on page 204, I believe.
                                                If you know what the binding it is you want to re-create, this book
                                                may show you how, with excellent illustrations.

                                                Nancy M McKenna

                                                > Oh, heck, the book I want (J.A. Szirmai, "The Archaeology of
                                                > Medieval Bookbinding) is only $125, and I still can't afford
                                                > it...
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                > Lyle H. Gray
                                                > gray@c... -- text only, please
                                              • aheilvei
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 13, 2003
                                                  > Have you seen the book "Non Adhesive Binding, books without paste
                                                  or
                                                  > glue" by Keith A. Smith? Coptic stitch starts on page 204, I
                                                  believe.
                                                  > If you know what the binding it is you want to re-create, this
                                                  book
                                                  > may show you how, with excellent illustrations.
                                                  >
                                                  > Nancy M McKenna

                                                  No, I hadn't but now I'm looking for it in the library here.... :)

                                                  THANKS!

                                                  Despina
                                                • Lyle H. Gray
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 13, 2003
                                                    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, faena0216 wrote:

                                                    > Have you seen the book "Non Adhesive Binding, books without
                                                    > paste or glue" by Keith A. Smith? Coptic stitch starts on
                                                    > page 204, I believe. If you know what the binding it is you
                                                    > want to re-create, this book may show you how, with excellent
                                                    > illustrations.

                                                    Yes, I've seen it. What I'm after isn't in it. I have several
                                                    books on the methodologies of bookbinding -- what I'm after is
                                                    various ways those methodologies were combined in various
                                                    bindings.

                                                    --
                                                    Lyle H. Gray
                                                    gray@... -- text only, please
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Nov 13, 2003
                                                      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Lyle H. Gray" <gray@c...> wrote:
                                                      > Oh, heck, the book I want (J.A. Szirmai, "The Archaeology of
                                                      > Medieval Bookbinding) is only $125, and I still can't afford
                                                      > it...

                                                      Have you tried Interlibrary Loan? Even taking into account the fact
                                                      that some folks are holding on to them (or for that matter the few who
                                                      have their library's copies on what is euphamistically called
                                                      "permanent loan") there are 199 libraries across the planet that are
                                                      listed as holders for this item - 21 of those are outside the US.
                                                      Even taking into account the numbers that are likely non-circulating,
                                                      non-lending libraries, checked out or missing, there should still be
                                                      20-30 copies out there available for ILL.

                                                      Marc/Diarmaid