RE: [Authentic_SCA] Stash management was Textile conservation

  • Marsha McLean
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
      Wow! And I thought I had a lot. The on-end idea is a good one. I'd
      actually thought of it *after* the project was done. I'll reorganize
      soon and change it. I sew by inspiration and choose fabrics tactile-ly
      as well as by sight, so having the edges poking up would save a lot of
      trouble. I'd also thought of an actual file-cabinet for fabric. Each
      fiber type gets a drawer ( or several) and each piece gets a hanging
      file.

      Madinia (organized someday...)
    • Mary Bader Montgomery
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
        At 08:50 AM 11/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
        >Wow! And I thought I had a lot. The on-end idea is a good one. I'd
        >actually thought of it *after* the project was done. I'll reorganize
        >soon and change it. I sew by inspiration and choose fabrics tactile-ly
        >as well as by sight, so having the edges poking up would save a lot of
        >trouble. I'd also thought of an actual file-cabinet for fabric. Each
        >fiber type gets a drawer ( or several) and each piece gets a hanging
        >file.
        >
        >Madinia (organized someday...)

        Since my purchase method is "10 yards or the rest of the bolt, whichever
        comes first, and if the end of the bolt is pretty close, throw that in,
        too" many of my pieces are pretty bulky. I don't think a file-cabinet
        would be practical for me. I too like that on-edge method.

        Mary Taran

      • Marsha McLean
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
          Ah. Saris and silks are a bit more compact, easily folding to file
          (although thick) size.. Wools and cottons are another matter and would
          take more space.

          I tend to but in 5 or 8 yard pieces, depending on whether the piece is
          for a kirtle (5), or gown (8+). Or <shrug> to supplement a sari, which
          isn't quite enough for a gown without more fudging than I care to do.

          Madinia

          text of previous message cut by moderator
        • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
            >Wow! And I thought I had a lot.

            I've culled it several times, but it seems to keep growing anyway.
            When I was in college I worked in a fabric store. Later a job was a
            short walk away from a couture fabric store, I spent more time and
            money than I should of in that place. Except for garb, I don't sew
            that much any more, but sometimes I just can't resist buying
            something.

            At the old house I had a closet with shelves for my fabric and
            fibers, but not nearly the space here at the new apartment. And all
            the linen that I bought a year ago at Pennsic is still missing in the
            storage locker. :(

            Ranvaig
          • Marsha McLean
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
              I worked in a fabric store when I was in Columbus, a Joanne's. I was
              too clueless to buy the good stuff so what I have from back then is
              pretty much junk that I'm sloooly culling. My main stash is silk and
              some wool and a lovely figured velvet that was extremely tacky drapes
              but will be reborn in splendor as a ropa.

              I sew the occasional formalwear (less since divorce!) and going-out
              outfit and garb and that's it.

              Unfortunately I am a total sucker for silks. I can't *not* buy them.
              Then I take them home and revel in them. A new sari usually lives on my
              bed for a day or two. Heaven help me in India! I *know* I'm gonna
              amaze customs with what I bring back.

              And than I'll be toast for storage, because each sari is a very personal
              thing for me and I could never give them up.

              Madinia
            • Talia
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
                sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

                Thanks in advance,

                Talia
                Barony of Forgotten Sea
                Calontir
              • Kirrily Robert
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                  Talia wrote:
                  > Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
                  > sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

                  Start with Stefan's Florilegium at http://florilegium.org/ ... I know he
                  hangs out on the sca-cooks list and collects the best articles from
                  there, so if you find the sugar-paste articles you should find some good
                  references to get you started.

                  But, in short, just about any 16th century cookbook is going to have
                  recipes for one or the other :)

                  Yours,

                  Katherine

                  katherine@... http://elizabethangeek.com/
                • aheilvei
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                    Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now but he wanted me to tell you:

                    Tell them to look in the archives.
                    Or in the florelegium.
                    Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                    Smiles,
                    Despina de la sorry I can't help more
                  • Christina L Biles
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                      Despina said:
                      Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                      I uploaded a file from the 1602 edition of Delights for Ladies (image 16)
                      that has a nice long sugar plate recipe. In case anyone cares, I found it
                      in EEBO.

                      -Magdalena
                    • Marsha McLean
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                        > Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now
                        > Despina de la sorry I can't help more

                        OOH! Kinky cook-type guy! Despina should be helping.

                        Madinia de la caffeine, me?!
                      • peterofmarin
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 1, 2003
                          Hi Marsha,

                          Use silicagel packs if you expect any humidity. Plastic tubs work well, use acid-free
                          tissue if you need to separate heavily dyed pieces. store tubs up off the ground.

                          -Peter
                          http://www.RenaissanceGoods.com