Re: [Authentic_SCA] Research

  • Jennifer Geard
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2003
      Hi Alyse,

      > I was hoping that someone here would have some helpful suggestions
      > on where to find representations (actual art or copies) of female
      > clothing from Norman Sicily (1090-1190) I am researching for Golden
      > Swan and hope someone can help me.

      Which culture? Sicily was a key central trading point in the middle of
      the Mediterranean, where Europe, Africa and the Middle East did
      business. My interest was in Sicily under Roger II, where you had both
      the local kinds of Christians (Byzantine and Roman), Muslims and Jews,
      and probably a range of ethnicities in each religious group.

      Problem is, there's very little information about women in medieval
      Sicily, beyond the Jewish silkworkers who were kidnapped to found the
      Sicilian silk industry (and possibly the royal harem, depending on who
      you read). There's quite remarkably little about non-royal Norman
      women. I began to wonder whether the Normans had sent men of fighting
      age only, and done their standard thing of settling down with local
      women.

      I really felt my lack of languages while trying to research Sicily:
      sources are in Latin (like Roger's "Gesta"), Greek and Arabic. I
      eventually got dissatisfied with making guesses based on English and
      French information about what was happening in France and England, and
      relocated somewhere where I could get and read the sources.

      Sicly is/was fascinating. If you manage to do this I'll be very
      interested in your research. However, just as an observation, if I were
      planning to do Golden Swan in a year I'd choose a different persona
      from a time and place where it wasn't so hard finding the bare basics,
      so I could concentrate on getting the detail right.

      Yours,
      Alys de Wilton
    • Zachary Kessin
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 4, 2003
        If you are interested in Jewish realated stuff, I found this book in a
        library search. "The Jews in Sicily, edited by Shlomo Simoshon"
        it is part of a series put out by Tel Aviv University about the Jews in
        Italy. I have not looked at that one, but have extracted a lot of names
        out of some of the others.

        You may be able to get a copy of it via Inter library loan. I may be able
        to take a look at it next week, I need to go up to Hebrew U to do
        some stuff sooner or later.

        --Yehoshua