Re: [Authentic_SCA] Research

  • Hasoferet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2003
      In a message dated 11/3/03 8:04:43 AM, skud@... writes:

      <<
      As for your actual question... was Sicily under Norman rule? Sounds odd
      to me but it's totally not my period so I'm more than happy to be
      educated. I'm afraid I have no idea of the answer to your question,
      though :( >>

      Sicily was under EVERYONE's rule at some point, it makes it juicy pickings
      for those of us who like our cultures slightly smooshed together. I don't know
      about sources for clothes, sadly, but I'll keep an eye out and post anything I
      find. Good luck!

      Raquel

      +____________________________________+
      Do not beg. Do not refuse. Preserve. Bestow.

      --Colman mac Beognae, 'The Alphabet of Devotion
    • Jennifer Geard
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2003
        Hi Alyse,

        > I was hoping that someone here would have some helpful suggestions
        > on where to find representations (actual art or copies) of female
        > clothing from Norman Sicily (1090-1190) I am researching for Golden
        > Swan and hope someone can help me.

        Which culture? Sicily was a key central trading point in the middle of
        the Mediterranean, where Europe, Africa and the Middle East did
        business. My interest was in Sicily under Roger II, where you had both
        the local kinds of Christians (Byzantine and Roman), Muslims and Jews,
        and probably a range of ethnicities in each religious group.

        Problem is, there's very little information about women in medieval
        Sicily, beyond the Jewish silkworkers who were kidnapped to found the
        Sicilian silk industry (and possibly the royal harem, depending on who
        you read). There's quite remarkably little about non-royal Norman
        women. I began to wonder whether the Normans had sent men of fighting
        age only, and done their standard thing of settling down with local
        women.

        I really felt my lack of languages while trying to research Sicily:
        sources are in Latin (like Roger's "Gesta"), Greek and Arabic. I
        eventually got dissatisfied with making guesses based on English and
        French information about what was happening in France and England, and
        relocated somewhere where I could get and read the sources.

        Sicly is/was fascinating. If you manage to do this I'll be very
        interested in your research. However, just as an observation, if I were
        planning to do Golden Swan in a year I'd choose a different persona
        from a time and place where it wasn't so hard finding the bare basics,
        so I could concentrate on getting the detail right.

        Yours,
        Alys de Wilton
      • Zachary Kessin
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 4, 2003
          If you are interested in Jewish realated stuff, I found this book in a
          library search. "The Jews in Sicily, edited by Shlomo Simoshon"
          it is part of a series put out by Tel Aviv University about the Jews in
          Italy. I have not looked at that one, but have extracted a lot of names
          out of some of the others.

          You may be able to get a copy of it via Inter library loan. I may be able
          to take a look at it next week, I need to go up to Hebrew U to do
          some stuff sooner or later.

          --Yehoshua