RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Textile conservation

  • Marsha McLean
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
      Actually (as the original poster) I would never trust my silks to a
      storage facility. A family friend lost a fortune in antiques (stored
      during a move) to a leaky roof. No, I am thinking of my own shed in my
      own yard, all critter-proof and watertight.

      Madinia
    • ladymorwenna
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
        > Is there anyone on this list with textile conservation experience?
        > I am trying to work out options for storing silks and other textiles
        > in my sewing fabric stash. I am looking at a very limited storage
        > situation and wondering if airtight storage in an unheated structure
        > is detrimental to fibers?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Madinia

        Okay, I got some more info.

        You don't want to use airtight storage. You need air circulation.

        The recommended RH (relative humidity) is 50%. You absolutely want to
        avoid any chance of condensation. I think you can use silica gel to
        get that RH, but the specifics are in my books at home.

        Cold storage is good for textiles (and furs). It keeps buggies from
        living in the stuff. I found a recommendation of 15 C to 25 C, but I'd
        like to check my books. Avoid fluctuation in temperatures.

        Good storage materials are polypropylene, polyethylene, ethafoam,
        unbuffered acid free paper or tissue.

        --Abigail
        again, Morwenna desn't know from this stuff.
      • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
          ><G> thanks, got it. Only recently, and the file system's been a
          >lifesaver; I can rummage through cards fingering samples, rather than
          >upending tubs and wading through the ensuing mountain.

          I have about 15 60 gal tubs of fabric, and I try to keep
          them sorted so there is no need to search through the all tubs.
          One for colored linen, one for white, one for period colored
          cotton (now probably destined for gold key garb)
          one for silk and wool. Others for modern fabrics.
          One for next few projects.

          On trick I've found, is to place the fabric vertically in
          the box, not flat. Stand the bin on end, and stack
          the fabric, with the last fold facing out. Then browsing
          through the bin is like looking through a file cabinet, and
          you can take out the piece you want without disturbing
          the rest. It only works when the boxes are pretty full,
          but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

          Ranvaig
        • Marsha McLean
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
            Wow! And I thought I had a lot. The on-end idea is a good one. I'd
            actually thought of it *after* the project was done. I'll reorganize
            soon and change it. I sew by inspiration and choose fabrics tactile-ly
            as well as by sight, so having the edges poking up would save a lot of
            trouble. I'd also thought of an actual file-cabinet for fabric. Each
            fiber type gets a drawer ( or several) and each piece gets a hanging
            file.

            Madinia (organized someday...)
          • Mary Bader Montgomery
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
              At 08:50 AM 11/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
              >Wow! And I thought I had a lot. The on-end idea is a good one. I'd
              >actually thought of it *after* the project was done. I'll reorganize
              >soon and change it. I sew by inspiration and choose fabrics tactile-ly
              >as well as by sight, so having the edges poking up would save a lot of
              >trouble. I'd also thought of an actual file-cabinet for fabric. Each
              >fiber type gets a drawer ( or several) and each piece gets a hanging
              >file.
              >
              >Madinia (organized someday...)

              Since my purchase method is "10 yards or the rest of the bolt, whichever
              comes first, and if the end of the bolt is pretty close, throw that in,
              too" many of my pieces are pretty bulky. I don't think a file-cabinet
              would be practical for me. I too like that on-edge method.

              Mary Taran

            • Marsha McLean
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                Ah. Saris and silks are a bit more compact, easily folding to file
                (although thick) size.. Wools and cottons are another matter and would
                take more space.

                I tend to but in 5 or 8 yard pieces, depending on whether the piece is
                for a kirtle (5), or gown (8+). Or <shrug> to supplement a sari, which
                isn't quite enough for a gown without more fudging than I care to do.

                Madinia

                text of previous message cut by moderator
              • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                  >Wow! And I thought I had a lot.

                  I've culled it several times, but it seems to keep growing anyway.
                  When I was in college I worked in a fabric store. Later a job was a
                  short walk away from a couture fabric store, I spent more time and
                  money than I should of in that place. Except for garb, I don't sew
                  that much any more, but sometimes I just can't resist buying
                  something.

                  At the old house I had a closet with shelves for my fabric and
                  fibers, but not nearly the space here at the new apartment. And all
                  the linen that I bought a year ago at Pennsic is still missing in the
                  storage locker. :(

                  Ranvaig
                • Marsha McLean
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                    I worked in a fabric store when I was in Columbus, a Joanne's. I was
                    too clueless to buy the good stuff so what I have from back then is
                    pretty much junk that I'm sloooly culling. My main stash is silk and
                    some wool and a lovely figured velvet that was extremely tacky drapes
                    but will be reborn in splendor as a ropa.

                    I sew the occasional formalwear (less since divorce!) and going-out
                    outfit and garb and that's it.

                    Unfortunately I am a total sucker for silks. I can't *not* buy them.
                    Then I take them home and revel in them. A new sari usually lives on my
                    bed for a day or two. Heaven help me in India! I *know* I'm gonna
                    amaze customs with what I bring back.

                    And than I'll be toast for storage, because each sari is a very personal
                    thing for me and I could never give them up.

                    Madinia
                  • Talia
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                      Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
                      sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

                      Thanks in advance,

                      Talia
                      Barony of Forgotten Sea
                      Calontir
                    • Kirrily Robert
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                        Talia wrote:
                        > Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
                        > sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

                        Start with Stefan's Florilegium at http://florilegium.org/ ... I know he
                        hangs out on the sca-cooks list and collects the best articles from
                        there, so if you find the sugar-paste articles you should find some good
                        references to get you started.

                        But, in short, just about any 16th century cookbook is going to have
                        recipes for one or the other :)

                        Yours,

                        Katherine

                        katherine@... http://elizabethangeek.com/
                      • aheilvei
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                          Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now but he wanted me to tell you:

                          Tell them to look in the archives.
                          Or in the florelegium.
                          Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                          Smiles,
                          Despina de la sorry I can't help more
                        • Christina L Biles
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                            Despina said:
                            Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                            I uploaded a file from the 1602 edition of Delights for Ladies (image 16)
                            that has a nice long sugar plate recipe. In case anyone cares, I found it
                            in EEBO.

                            -Magdalena
                          • Marsha McLean
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                              > Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now
                              > Despina de la sorry I can't help more

                              OOH! Kinky cook-type guy! Despina should be helping.

                              Madinia de la caffeine, me?!
                            • peterofmarin
                              Message 14 of 22 , Dec 1, 2003
                                Hi Marsha,

                                Use silicagel packs if you expect any humidity. Plastic tubs work well, use acid-free
                                tissue if you need to separate heavily dyed pieces. store tubs up off the ground.

                                -Peter
                                http://www.RenaissanceGoods.com