RE: RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Textile conservation

  • Marsha McLean
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
      <G> thanks, got it. Only recently, and the file system's been a
      lifesaver; I can rummage through cards fingering samples, rather than
      upending tubs and wading through the ensuing mountain.

      Madinia
    • Mary Bader Montgomery
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
        At 01:10 PM 11/3/03 -0600, you wrote:

        > > I have three bathtub size rubbermaids of assorted
        > > fabrics and two 114 liter rubbermaids of silk. I know, it's a bit
        > > embarrassing, but I can't help it.
        > >

        >One of those tidbits I've picked up somewhere is that with such a
        >collection of tubs with fabrics is that you should have a box of cards
        >that has a snip of the fabric, yardage and fiber content if known with a
        >label as to which box it is in. That way when you're looking for a
        >particular type or piece it doesn't take long to find, unless you prefer
        >that periodic search through your stash to touch everything, before you
        >get to what you need.
        >

        >Alex

        I also measure my stash by the tub. I have an Excel spreadsheet that
        describes each piece in each (numbered) tub. It's a lot easier to rummage
        through one tub that has something that you think might have what you
        remember than to go through all umpty-ump tubs. Some sort by fabric types,
        some by color. Another option is to scan the fabric. That way you can see
        it, and go rummage with an even better idea than just the verbal
        description. I haven't yet gone to the card and swatch system, but I may
        yet.

      • Marsha McLean
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
          Actually (as the original poster) I would never trust my silks to a
          storage facility. A family friend lost a fortune in antiques (stored
          during a move) to a leaky roof. No, I am thinking of my own shed in my
          own yard, all critter-proof and watertight.

          Madinia
        • ladymorwenna
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
            > Is there anyone on this list with textile conservation experience?
            > I am trying to work out options for storing silks and other textiles
            > in my sewing fabric stash. I am looking at a very limited storage
            > situation and wondering if airtight storage in an unheated structure
            > is detrimental to fibers?
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Madinia

            Okay, I got some more info.

            You don't want to use airtight storage. You need air circulation.

            The recommended RH (relative humidity) is 50%. You absolutely want to
            avoid any chance of condensation. I think you can use silica gel to
            get that RH, but the specifics are in my books at home.

            Cold storage is good for textiles (and furs). It keeps buggies from
            living in the stuff. I found a recommendation of 15 C to 25 C, but I'd
            like to check my books. Avoid fluctuation in temperatures.

            Good storage materials are polypropylene, polyethylene, ethafoam,
            unbuffered acid free paper or tissue.

            --Abigail
            again, Morwenna desn't know from this stuff.
          • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
              ><G> thanks, got it. Only recently, and the file system's been a
              >lifesaver; I can rummage through cards fingering samples, rather than
              >upending tubs and wading through the ensuing mountain.

              I have about 15 60 gal tubs of fabric, and I try to keep
              them sorted so there is no need to search through the all tubs.
              One for colored linen, one for white, one for period colored
              cotton (now probably destined for gold key garb)
              one for silk and wool. Others for modern fabrics.
              One for next few projects.

              On trick I've found, is to place the fabric vertically in
              the box, not flat. Stand the bin on end, and stack
              the fabric, with the last fold facing out. Then browsing
              through the bin is like looking through a file cabinet, and
              you can take out the piece you want without disturbing
              the rest. It only works when the boxes are pretty full,
              but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

              Ranvaig
            • Marsha McLean
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                Wow! And I thought I had a lot. The on-end idea is a good one. I'd
                actually thought of it *after* the project was done. I'll reorganize
                soon and change it. I sew by inspiration and choose fabrics tactile-ly
                as well as by sight, so having the edges poking up would save a lot of
                trouble. I'd also thought of an actual file-cabinet for fabric. Each
                fiber type gets a drawer ( or several) and each piece gets a hanging
                file.

                Madinia (organized someday...)
              • Mary Bader Montgomery
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                  At 08:50 AM 11/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Wow! And I thought I had a lot. The on-end idea is a good one. I'd
                  >actually thought of it *after* the project was done. I'll reorganize
                  >soon and change it. I sew by inspiration and choose fabrics tactile-ly
                  >as well as by sight, so having the edges poking up would save a lot of
                  >trouble. I'd also thought of an actual file-cabinet for fabric. Each
                  >fiber type gets a drawer ( or several) and each piece gets a hanging
                  >file.
                  >
                  >Madinia (organized someday...)

                  Since my purchase method is "10 yards or the rest of the bolt, whichever
                  comes first, and if the end of the bolt is pretty close, throw that in,
                  too" many of my pieces are pretty bulky. I don't think a file-cabinet
                  would be practical for me. I too like that on-edge method.

                  Mary Taran

                • Marsha McLean
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                    Ah. Saris and silks are a bit more compact, easily folding to file
                    (although thick) size.. Wools and cottons are another matter and would
                    take more space.

                    I tend to but in 5 or 8 yard pieces, depending on whether the piece is
                    for a kirtle (5), or gown (8+). Or <shrug> to supplement a sari, which
                    isn't quite enough for a gown without more fudging than I care to do.

                    Madinia

                    text of previous message cut by moderator
                  • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                      >Wow! And I thought I had a lot.

                      I've culled it several times, but it seems to keep growing anyway.
                      When I was in college I worked in a fabric store. Later a job was a
                      short walk away from a couture fabric store, I spent more time and
                      money than I should of in that place. Except for garb, I don't sew
                      that much any more, but sometimes I just can't resist buying
                      something.

                      At the old house I had a closet with shelves for my fabric and
                      fibers, but not nearly the space here at the new apartment. And all
                      the linen that I bought a year ago at Pennsic is still missing in the
                      storage locker. :(

                      Ranvaig
                    • Marsha McLean
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                        I worked in a fabric store when I was in Columbus, a Joanne's. I was
                        too clueless to buy the good stuff so what I have from back then is
                        pretty much junk that I'm sloooly culling. My main stash is silk and
                        some wool and a lovely figured velvet that was extremely tacky drapes
                        but will be reborn in splendor as a ropa.

                        I sew the occasional formalwear (less since divorce!) and going-out
                        outfit and garb and that's it.

                        Unfortunately I am a total sucker for silks. I can't *not* buy them.
                        Then I take them home and revel in them. A new sari usually lives on my
                        bed for a day or two. Heaven help me in India! I *know* I'm gonna
                        amaze customs with what I bring back.

                        And than I'll be toast for storage, because each sari is a very personal
                        thing for me and I could never give them up.

                        Madinia
                      • Talia
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                          Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
                          sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

                          Thanks in advance,

                          Talia
                          Barony of Forgotten Sea
                          Calontir
                        • Kirrily Robert
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                            Talia wrote:
                            > Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
                            > sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

                            Start with Stefan's Florilegium at http://florilegium.org/ ... I know he
                            hangs out on the sca-cooks list and collects the best articles from
                            there, so if you find the sugar-paste articles you should find some good
                            references to get you started.

                            But, in short, just about any 16th century cookbook is going to have
                            recipes for one or the other :)

                            Yours,

                            Katherine

                            katherine@... http://elizabethangeek.com/
                          • aheilvei
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                              Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now but he wanted me to tell you:

                              Tell them to look in the archives.
                              Or in the florelegium.
                              Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                              Smiles,
                              Despina de la sorry I can't help more
                            • Christina L Biles
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                Despina said:
                                Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                                I uploaded a file from the 1602 edition of Delights for Ladies (image 16)
                                that has a nice long sugar plate recipe. In case anyone cares, I found it
                                in EEBO.

                                -Magdalena
                              • Marsha McLean
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                  > Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now
                                  > Despina de la sorry I can't help more

                                  OOH! Kinky cook-type guy! Despina should be helping.

                                  Madinia de la caffeine, me?!
                                • peterofmarin
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Dec 1, 2003
                                    Hi Marsha,

                                    Use silicagel packs if you expect any humidity. Plastic tubs work well, use acid-free
                                    tissue if you need to separate heavily dyed pieces. store tubs up off the ground.

                                    -Peter
                                    http://www.RenaissanceGoods.com