Re: RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Textile conservation

  • Alex Doyle
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
      > I have three bathtub size rubbermaids of assorted
      > fabrics and two 114 liter rubbermaids of silk. I know, it's a bit
      > embarrassing, but I can't help it.

      One of those tidbits I've picked up somewhere is that with such a collection of tubs with fabrics is that you should have a box of cards that has a snip of the fabric, yardage and fiber content if known with a label as to which box it is in. That way when you're looking for a particular type or piece it doesn't take long to find, unless you prefer that periodic search through your stash to touch everything, before you get to what you need.

      Alex
    • Mary Bader Montgomery
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
        At 06:10 PM 11/3/03 +0000, you wrote:
        >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marsha McLean"
        ><marshamclean@r...> wrote:
        > > Is there anyone on this list with textile conservation experience? I am
        > > trying to work out options for storing silks and other textiles in my
        > > sewing fabric stash. I am looking at a very limited storage situation
        > > and wondering if airtight storage in an unheated structure is
        > > detrimental to fibers?
        >
        >Thanks, that reminds me!
        >
        >I have a WWII-era Indian print that I need to store. When I asked my
        >local Costuming Laurel, she mentioned that you can get textile storage
        >boxes, similar to book storage boxes, which are designed to keep such
        >textiles safe.
        >
        >The usual Quickie Google Search reveals:
        >
        ><http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/acidfree/acidfree19.html>http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/acidfree/acidfree19.html
        >http://www.nationalgown.com/ar_products/textile_storage.htm
        ><http://www.artfortheneedle.com/site/go.cfm/owner/23FEADD3-339C-4AD4-87B8C2711A9EFAF2/killnav/yes>http://www.artfortheneedle.com/site/go.cfm/owner/23FEADD3-339C-4AD4-87B8C2711A9EFAF2/killnav/yes
        >
        >And that's just the first three...
        >
        >The impression I got from her (and others might disagree, this is just
        >"received wisdom" on my part) was that "airtight" storage is overkill
        >for more stuff. Storing it in a "safe" container, and in a
        >low-humidity, regular-temperature area is Good Enough, unless it's
        >_really_ costly.

        These are great, if you are sure that the storage area IS low-humidity,
        regular-temperature. However, if you can't spare a closet indoors to keep
        these cardboard boxes, you may have to consider a building (such as an
        offsite storage facility) that isn't climate controlled. The impression I
        got from the original poster was that she wanted to know if these were
        safe. I have known people who have stored lovely things in these archival
        boxes, and had their things ruined when they got soaked with a
        fire-protection sprinkler. You just can't win...

        MT

      • Marsha McLean
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
          <G> thanks, got it. Only recently, and the file system's been a
          lifesaver; I can rummage through cards fingering samples, rather than
          upending tubs and wading through the ensuing mountain.

          Madinia
        • Mary Bader Montgomery
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
            At 01:10 PM 11/3/03 -0600, you wrote:

            > > I have three bathtub size rubbermaids of assorted
            > > fabrics and two 114 liter rubbermaids of silk. I know, it's a bit
            > > embarrassing, but I can't help it.
            > >

            >One of those tidbits I've picked up somewhere is that with such a
            >collection of tubs with fabrics is that you should have a box of cards
            >that has a snip of the fabric, yardage and fiber content if known with a
            >label as to which box it is in. That way when you're looking for a
            >particular type or piece it doesn't take long to find, unless you prefer
            >that periodic search through your stash to touch everything, before you
            >get to what you need.
            >

            >Alex

            I also measure my stash by the tub. I have an Excel spreadsheet that
            describes each piece in each (numbered) tub. It's a lot easier to rummage
            through one tub that has something that you think might have what you
            remember than to go through all umpty-ump tubs. Some sort by fabric types,
            some by color. Another option is to scan the fabric. That way you can see
            it, and go rummage with an even better idea than just the verbal
            description. I haven't yet gone to the card and swatch system, but I may
            yet.

          • Marsha McLean
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
              Actually (as the original poster) I would never trust my silks to a
              storage facility. A family friend lost a fortune in antiques (stored
              during a move) to a leaky roof. No, I am thinking of my own shed in my
              own yard, all critter-proof and watertight.

              Madinia
            • ladymorwenna
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                > Is there anyone on this list with textile conservation experience?
                > I am trying to work out options for storing silks and other textiles
                > in my sewing fabric stash. I am looking at a very limited storage
                > situation and wondering if airtight storage in an unheated structure
                > is detrimental to fibers?
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Madinia

                Okay, I got some more info.

                You don't want to use airtight storage. You need air circulation.

                The recommended RH (relative humidity) is 50%. You absolutely want to
                avoid any chance of condensation. I think you can use silica gel to
                get that RH, but the specifics are in my books at home.

                Cold storage is good for textiles (and furs). It keeps buggies from
                living in the stuff. I found a recommendation of 15 C to 25 C, but I'd
                like to check my books. Avoid fluctuation in temperatures.

                Good storage materials are polypropylene, polyethylene, ethafoam,
                unbuffered acid free paper or tissue.

                --Abigail
                again, Morwenna desn't know from this stuff.
              • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                  ><G> thanks, got it. Only recently, and the file system's been a
                  >lifesaver; I can rummage through cards fingering samples, rather than
                  >upending tubs and wading through the ensuing mountain.

                  I have about 15 60 gal tubs of fabric, and I try to keep
                  them sorted so there is no need to search through the all tubs.
                  One for colored linen, one for white, one for period colored
                  cotton (now probably destined for gold key garb)
                  one for silk and wool. Others for modern fabrics.
                  One for next few projects.

                  On trick I've found, is to place the fabric vertically in
                  the box, not flat. Stand the bin on end, and stack
                  the fabric, with the last fold facing out. Then browsing
                  through the bin is like looking through a file cabinet, and
                  you can take out the piece you want without disturbing
                  the rest. It only works when the boxes are pretty full,
                  but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

                  Ranvaig
                • Marsha McLean
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                    Wow! And I thought I had a lot. The on-end idea is a good one. I'd
                    actually thought of it *after* the project was done. I'll reorganize
                    soon and change it. I sew by inspiration and choose fabrics tactile-ly
                    as well as by sight, so having the edges poking up would save a lot of
                    trouble. I'd also thought of an actual file-cabinet for fabric. Each
                    fiber type gets a drawer ( or several) and each piece gets a hanging
                    file.

                    Madinia (organized someday...)
                  • Mary Bader Montgomery
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                      At 08:50 AM 11/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Wow! And I thought I had a lot. The on-end idea is a good one. I'd
                      >actually thought of it *after* the project was done. I'll reorganize
                      >soon and change it. I sew by inspiration and choose fabrics tactile-ly
                      >as well as by sight, so having the edges poking up would save a lot of
                      >trouble. I'd also thought of an actual file-cabinet for fabric. Each
                      >fiber type gets a drawer ( or several) and each piece gets a hanging
                      >file.
                      >
                      >Madinia (organized someday...)

                      Since my purchase method is "10 yards or the rest of the bolt, whichever
                      comes first, and if the end of the bolt is pretty close, throw that in,
                      too" many of my pieces are pretty bulky. I don't think a file-cabinet
                      would be practical for me. I too like that on-edge method.

                      Mary Taran

                    • Marsha McLean
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                        Ah. Saris and silks are a bit more compact, easily folding to file
                        (although thick) size.. Wools and cottons are another matter and would
                        take more space.

                        I tend to but in 5 or 8 yard pieces, depending on whether the piece is
                        for a kirtle (5), or gown (8+). Or <shrug> to supplement a sari, which
                        isn't quite enough for a gown without more fudging than I care to do.

                        Madinia

                        text of previous message cut by moderator
                      • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                          >Wow! And I thought I had a lot.

                          I've culled it several times, but it seems to keep growing anyway.
                          When I was in college I worked in a fabric store. Later a job was a
                          short walk away from a couture fabric store, I spent more time and
                          money than I should of in that place. Except for garb, I don't sew
                          that much any more, but sometimes I just can't resist buying
                          something.

                          At the old house I had a closet with shelves for my fabric and
                          fibers, but not nearly the space here at the new apartment. And all
                          the linen that I bought a year ago at Pennsic is still missing in the
                          storage locker. :(

                          Ranvaig
                        • Marsha McLean
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                            I worked in a fabric store when I was in Columbus, a Joanne's. I was
                            too clueless to buy the good stuff so what I have from back then is
                            pretty much junk that I'm sloooly culling. My main stash is silk and
                            some wool and a lovely figured velvet that was extremely tacky drapes
                            but will be reborn in splendor as a ropa.

                            I sew the occasional formalwear (less since divorce!) and going-out
                            outfit and garb and that's it.

                            Unfortunately I am a total sucker for silks. I can't *not* buy them.
                            Then I take them home and revel in them. A new sari usually lives on my
                            bed for a day or two. Heaven help me in India! I *know* I'm gonna
                            amaze customs with what I bring back.

                            And than I'll be toast for storage, because each sari is a very personal
                            thing for me and I could never give them up.

                            Madinia
                          • Talia
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                              Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
                              sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

                              Thanks in advance,

                              Talia
                              Barony of Forgotten Sea
                              Calontir
                            • Kirrily Robert
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                Talia wrote:
                                > Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
                                > sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

                                Start with Stefan's Florilegium at http://florilegium.org/ ... I know he
                                hangs out on the sca-cooks list and collects the best articles from
                                there, so if you find the sugar-paste articles you should find some good
                                references to get you started.

                                But, in short, just about any 16th century cookbook is going to have
                                recipes for one or the other :)

                                Yours,

                                Katherine

                                katherine@... http://elizabethangeek.com/
                              • aheilvei
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                  Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now but he wanted me to tell you:

                                  Tell them to look in the archives.
                                  Or in the florelegium.
                                  Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                                  Smiles,
                                  Despina de la sorry I can't help more
                                • Christina L Biles
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                    Despina said:
                                    Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                                    I uploaded a file from the 1602 edition of Delights for Ladies (image 16)
                                    that has a nice long sugar plate recipe. In case anyone cares, I found it
                                    in EEBO.

                                    -Magdalena
                                  • Marsha McLean
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                      > Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now
                                      > Despina de la sorry I can't help more

                                      OOH! Kinky cook-type guy! Despina should be helping.

                                      Madinia de la caffeine, me?!
                                    • peterofmarin
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Dec 1, 2003
                                        Hi Marsha,

                                        Use silicagel packs if you expect any humidity. Plastic tubs work well, use acid-free
                                        tissue if you need to separate heavily dyed pieces. store tubs up off the ground.

                                        -Peter
                                        http://www.RenaissanceGoods.com