RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Textile conservation

  • Marsha McLean
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
      Ah! He's back among the living! I have since discovered that airtight
      is a major no-no with silk. Lots of air is good, but no light. I'm
      still hoping that someone will tell me that outdoor temps are OK. I'm
      hoping to be able to store them in a special shed because there's just
      not enough house. I have three bathtub size rubbermaids of assorted
      fabrics and two 114 liter rubbermaids of silk. I know, it's a bit
      embarrassing, but I can't help it.

      Asim, for your textile piece, I'd have it mounted in an acid free
      shadowbox with plenty of air circulation. And I'd fight hard for glass
      rather than plexiglass, due to fume issues.

      Madinia
    • Alex Doyle
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
        > I have three bathtub size rubbermaids of assorted
        > fabrics and two 114 liter rubbermaids of silk. I know, it's a bit
        > embarrassing, but I can't help it.

        One of those tidbits I've picked up somewhere is that with such a collection of tubs with fabrics is that you should have a box of cards that has a snip of the fabric, yardage and fiber content if known with a label as to which box it is in. That way when you're looking for a particular type or piece it doesn't take long to find, unless you prefer that periodic search through your stash to touch everything, before you get to what you need.

        Alex
      • Mary Bader Montgomery
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
          At 06:10 PM 11/3/03 +0000, you wrote:
          >--- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Marsha McLean"
          ><marshamclean@r...> wrote:
          > > Is there anyone on this list with textile conservation experience? I am
          > > trying to work out options for storing silks and other textiles in my
          > > sewing fabric stash. I am looking at a very limited storage situation
          > > and wondering if airtight storage in an unheated structure is
          > > detrimental to fibers?
          >
          >Thanks, that reminds me!
          >
          >I have a WWII-era Indian print that I need to store. When I asked my
          >local Costuming Laurel, she mentioned that you can get textile storage
          >boxes, similar to book storage boxes, which are designed to keep such
          >textiles safe.
          >
          >The usual Quickie Google Search reveals:
          >
          ><http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/acidfree/acidfree19.html>http://www.conservation-by-design.co.uk/acidfree/acidfree19.html
          >http://www.nationalgown.com/ar_products/textile_storage.htm
          ><http://www.artfortheneedle.com/site/go.cfm/owner/23FEADD3-339C-4AD4-87B8C2711A9EFAF2/killnav/yes>http://www.artfortheneedle.com/site/go.cfm/owner/23FEADD3-339C-4AD4-87B8C2711A9EFAF2/killnav/yes
          >
          >And that's just the first three...
          >
          >The impression I got from her (and others might disagree, this is just
          >"received wisdom" on my part) was that "airtight" storage is overkill
          >for more stuff. Storing it in a "safe" container, and in a
          >low-humidity, regular-temperature area is Good Enough, unless it's
          >_really_ costly.

          These are great, if you are sure that the storage area IS low-humidity,
          regular-temperature. However, if you can't spare a closet indoors to keep
          these cardboard boxes, you may have to consider a building (such as an
          offsite storage facility) that isn't climate controlled. The impression I
          got from the original poster was that she wanted to know if these were
          safe. I have known people who have stored lovely things in these archival
          boxes, and had their things ruined when they got soaked with a
          fire-protection sprinkler. You just can't win...

          MT

        • Marsha McLean
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
            <G> thanks, got it. Only recently, and the file system's been a
            lifesaver; I can rummage through cards fingering samples, rather than
            upending tubs and wading through the ensuing mountain.

            Madinia
          • Mary Bader Montgomery
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
              At 01:10 PM 11/3/03 -0600, you wrote:

              > > I have three bathtub size rubbermaids of assorted
              > > fabrics and two 114 liter rubbermaids of silk. I know, it's a bit
              > > embarrassing, but I can't help it.
              > >

              >One of those tidbits I've picked up somewhere is that with such a
              >collection of tubs with fabrics is that you should have a box of cards
              >that has a snip of the fabric, yardage and fiber content if known with a
              >label as to which box it is in. That way when you're looking for a
              >particular type or piece it doesn't take long to find, unless you prefer
              >that periodic search through your stash to touch everything, before you
              >get to what you need.
              >

              >Alex

              I also measure my stash by the tub. I have an Excel spreadsheet that
              describes each piece in each (numbered) tub. It's a lot easier to rummage
              through one tub that has something that you think might have what you
              remember than to go through all umpty-ump tubs. Some sort by fabric types,
              some by color. Another option is to scan the fabric. That way you can see
              it, and go rummage with an even better idea than just the verbal
              description. I haven't yet gone to the card and swatch system, but I may
              yet.

            • Marsha McLean
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                Actually (as the original poster) I would never trust my silks to a
                storage facility. A family friend lost a fortune in antiques (stored
                during a move) to a leaky roof. No, I am thinking of my own shed in my
                own yard, all critter-proof and watertight.

                Madinia
              • ladymorwenna
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 3, 2003
                  > Is there anyone on this list with textile conservation experience?
                  > I am trying to work out options for storing silks and other textiles
                  > in my sewing fabric stash. I am looking at a very limited storage
                  > situation and wondering if airtight storage in an unheated structure
                  > is detrimental to fibers?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Madinia

                  Okay, I got some more info.

                  You don't want to use airtight storage. You need air circulation.

                  The recommended RH (relative humidity) is 50%. You absolutely want to
                  avoid any chance of condensation. I think you can use silica gel to
                  get that RH, but the specifics are in my books at home.

                  Cold storage is good for textiles (and furs). It keeps buggies from
                  living in the stuff. I found a recommendation of 15 C to 25 C, but I'd
                  like to check my books. Avoid fluctuation in temperatures.

                  Good storage materials are polypropylene, polyethylene, ethafoam,
                  unbuffered acid free paper or tissue.

                  --Abigail
                  again, Morwenna desn't know from this stuff.
                • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                    ><G> thanks, got it. Only recently, and the file system's been a
                    >lifesaver; I can rummage through cards fingering samples, rather than
                    >upending tubs and wading through the ensuing mountain.

                    I have about 15 60 gal tubs of fabric, and I try to keep
                    them sorted so there is no need to search through the all tubs.
                    One for colored linen, one for white, one for period colored
                    cotton (now probably destined for gold key garb)
                    one for silk and wool. Others for modern fabrics.
                    One for next few projects.

                    On trick I've found, is to place the fabric vertically in
                    the box, not flat. Stand the bin on end, and stack
                    the fabric, with the last fold facing out. Then browsing
                    through the bin is like looking through a file cabinet, and
                    you can take out the piece you want without disturbing
                    the rest. It only works when the boxes are pretty full,
                    but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

                    Ranvaig
                  • Marsha McLean
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                      Wow! And I thought I had a lot. The on-end idea is a good one. I'd
                      actually thought of it *after* the project was done. I'll reorganize
                      soon and change it. I sew by inspiration and choose fabrics tactile-ly
                      as well as by sight, so having the edges poking up would save a lot of
                      trouble. I'd also thought of an actual file-cabinet for fabric. Each
                      fiber type gets a drawer ( or several) and each piece gets a hanging
                      file.

                      Madinia (organized someday...)
                    • Mary Bader Montgomery
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                        At 08:50 AM 11/4/03 -0500, you wrote:
                        >Wow! And I thought I had a lot. The on-end idea is a good one. I'd
                        >actually thought of it *after* the project was done. I'll reorganize
                        >soon and change it. I sew by inspiration and choose fabrics tactile-ly
                        >as well as by sight, so having the edges poking up would save a lot of
                        >trouble. I'd also thought of an actual file-cabinet for fabric. Each
                        >fiber type gets a drawer ( or several) and each piece gets a hanging
                        >file.
                        >
                        >Madinia (organized someday...)

                        Since my purchase method is "10 yards or the rest of the bolt, whichever
                        comes first, and if the end of the bolt is pretty close, throw that in,
                        too" many of my pieces are pretty bulky. I don't think a file-cabinet
                        would be practical for me. I too like that on-edge method.

                        Mary Taran

                      • Marsha McLean
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                          Ah. Saris and silks are a bit more compact, easily folding to file
                          (although thick) size.. Wools and cottons are another matter and would
                          take more space.

                          I tend to but in 5 or 8 yard pieces, depending on whether the piece is
                          for a kirtle (5), or gown (8+). Or <shrug> to supplement a sari, which
                          isn't quite enough for a gown without more fudging than I care to do.

                          Madinia

                          text of previous message cut by moderator
                        • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                            >Wow! And I thought I had a lot.

                            I've culled it several times, but it seems to keep growing anyway.
                            When I was in college I worked in a fabric store. Later a job was a
                            short walk away from a couture fabric store, I spent more time and
                            money than I should of in that place. Except for garb, I don't sew
                            that much any more, but sometimes I just can't resist buying
                            something.

                            At the old house I had a closet with shelves for my fabric and
                            fibers, but not nearly the space here at the new apartment. And all
                            the linen that I bought a year ago at Pennsic is still missing in the
                            storage locker. :(

                            Ranvaig
                          • Marsha McLean
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                              I worked in a fabric store when I was in Columbus, a Joanne's. I was
                              too clueless to buy the good stuff so what I have from back then is
                              pretty much junk that I'm sloooly culling. My main stash is silk and
                              some wool and a lovely figured velvet that was extremely tacky drapes
                              but will be reborn in splendor as a ropa.

                              I sew the occasional formalwear (less since divorce!) and going-out
                              outfit and garb and that's it.

                              Unfortunately I am a total sucker for silks. I can't *not* buy them.
                              Then I take them home and revel in them. A new sari usually lives on my
                              bed for a day or two. Heaven help me in India! I *know* I'm gonna
                              amaze customs with what I bring back.

                              And than I'll be toast for storage, because each sari is a very personal
                              thing for me and I could never give them up.

                              Madinia
                            • Talia
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
                                sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

                                Thanks in advance,

                                Talia
                                Barony of Forgotten Sea
                                Calontir
                              • Kirrily Robert
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                  Talia wrote:
                                  > Can anyone point me in the right direction to research/document the use of
                                  > sugar-glass and sugar-paste in food/subtleties?

                                  Start with Stefan's Florilegium at http://florilegium.org/ ... I know he
                                  hangs out on the sca-cooks list and collects the best articles from
                                  there, so if you find the sugar-paste articles you should find some good
                                  references to get you started.

                                  But, in short, just about any 16th century cookbook is going to have
                                  recipes for one or the other :)

                                  Yours,

                                  Katherine

                                  katherine@... http://elizabethangeek.com/
                                • aheilvei
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                    Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now but he wanted me to tell you:

                                    Tell them to look in the archives.
                                    Or in the florelegium.
                                    Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                                    Smiles,
                                    Despina de la sorry I can't help more
                                  • Christina L Biles
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                      Despina said:
                                      Or Hugh Platt's Delight for Ladies.

                                      I uploaded a file from the 1602 edition of Delights for Ladies (image 16)
                                      that has a nice long sugar plate recipe. In case anyone cares, I found it
                                      in EEBO.

                                      -Magdalena
                                    • Marsha McLean
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 4, 2003
                                        > Bogdan is tied up in the lab right now
                                        > Despina de la sorry I can't help more

                                        OOH! Kinky cook-type guy! Despina should be helping.

                                        Madinia de la caffeine, me?!
                                      • peterofmarin
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Dec 1, 2003
                                          Hi Marsha,

                                          Use silicagel packs if you expect any humidity. Plastic tubs work well, use acid-free
                                          tissue if you need to separate heavily dyed pieces. store tubs up off the ground.

                                          -Peter
                                          http://www.RenaissanceGoods.com