RE: [Authentic_SCA] Brain Block

  • Marsha McLean
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
      Well, I know that Henry the Eighth of England and his various wives had
      jewels with their combined initials... but nothing juicier.

      Hope it's a start?

      Madinia
    • ladymorwenna
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
        > Im trying to remember what the art was of combining initials of
        > husband and wife into a pattern of a sort? I think it was sort of an
        > heraldic hobby, done mostly for royalty, and originated in Spain... I
        > think. If anyone can help, I'd be much appreciated - I'm having a bad
        > case of brain freeze at the moment.
        >
        > Caitlin

        You might be thinking of a cypher. Mary, Queen of Scots used a cypher
        which was a combined MA (looks sort of like |XX|) with a phi (Greek F -
        - like a circle with a vertical line through it -- for her first
        husband, Francis) laid over it.

        --Morwenna
      • Elizabeth Walpole
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Walpole"
            <ewalpole@a...> wrote:
            > I don't know if this will help at all, but I know Henry VIII did it
            (at
            > least for his 1st 3 queens, I haven't read about the rest) and used
            it to
            > decorate his palaces.

            There is a ceiling boss in one of the gatehouses at Hampton Court
            that still has the HA cypher on it. Guess Henry's minions missed it.

            Jehanne de Wodeford
          • aheilvei
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003

              > There is a ceiling boss in one of the gatehouses at Hampton Court
              > that still has the HA cypher on it. Guess Henry's minions missed
              it.

              IIRC, that ceiling was finished after Anne had died and the design
              was just never modified or defaced - the construction continued as
              it had been.

              Despina