Brain Block

  • caitlin_oduibhir
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
      Im trying to remember what the art was of combining initials of
      husband and wife into a pattern of a sort? I think it was sort of an
      heraldic hobby, done mostly for royalty, and originated in Spain... I
      think. If anyone can help, I'd be much appreciated - I'm having a bad
      case of brain freeze at the moment.

      Caitlin
    • Marsha McLean
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
        Well, I know that Henry the Eighth of England and his various wives had
        jewels with their combined initials... but nothing juicier.

        Hope it's a start?

        Madinia
      • ladymorwenna
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 3, 2003
          > Im trying to remember what the art was of combining initials of
          > husband and wife into a pattern of a sort? I think it was sort of an
          > heraldic hobby, done mostly for royalty, and originated in Spain... I
          > think. If anyone can help, I'd be much appreciated - I'm having a bad
          > case of brain freeze at the moment.
          >
          > Caitlin

          You might be thinking of a cypher. Mary, Queen of Scots used a cypher
          which was a combined MA (looks sort of like |XX|) with a phi (Greek F -
          - like a circle with a vertical line through it -- for her first
          husband, Francis) laid over it.

          --Morwenna
        • Elizabeth Walpole
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Walpole"
              <ewalpole@a...> wrote:
              > I don't know if this will help at all, but I know Henry VIII did it
              (at
              > least for his 1st 3 queens, I haven't read about the rest) and used
              it to
              > decorate his palaces.

              There is a ceiling boss in one of the gatehouses at Hampton Court
              that still has the HA cypher on it. Guess Henry's minions missed it.

              Jehanne de Wodeford
            • aheilvei
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2003

                > There is a ceiling boss in one of the gatehouses at Hampton Court
                > that still has the HA cypher on it. Guess Henry's minions missed
                it.

                IIRC, that ceiling was finished after Anne had died and the design
                was just never modified or defaced - the construction continued as
                it had been.

                Despina