RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Fabric table napkins

  • Marsha McLean
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 26, 2003
      Right, whereas the ladies would be protecting the more valuable
      voluminous skirt... makes sense, but if I'm wearing elaborate sleeves,
      they get protected...

      Madinia

    • Marsha McLean
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 26, 2003
        A 14th(?) century courtesy manual I have stresses that tablecloths are
        not to be used to blow one's nose, rather that one should use one's
        sleeve. Kinda makes me think that tablecloths were used at least then
        for a multitude of sins.

        Madinia

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Andrea Huwydd Lycsenbwrg
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 26, 2003
          --- Gomez Addams <GomezY3K@...> wrote:
          > What time did napkins come into use? Portraying
          > an 11th Century
          > Personna did they even use such things or should the
          > question be
          > which sleeve should I use LOL... or perhaps...
          > Napklins? Napkins?
          > Don't need no stinkin' Napkins....

          Well, in the 12th century Gerald of Wales wrote that
          the Welsh did not use napkins, thus implying that the
          Normans, at least, did.

          Gwervyl