Fwd: Lady Jehanne de Wodeford's greetings

  • Stephen Higa
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 11, 2001
      Lady Jehanne de Wodeford of Rusted Woodlands sendeth
      greetings unto the members of the list. (Great. So
      much for authenticity!)

      I've been getting in - no, make that "spirited
      debates", a lady never fights - over the performance
      of music in our Society and figured this might be a
      place to meet some folks who aren't going to whine at
      me about wanting to dance "Hole In The Wall".

      For your information, I hail from a small manor on the
      Avon in Wiltshire, about midway between the Stone
      Henge and the bishopric of Salisbury where the new
      cathedral is being planned. Presently I reside in the
      East Kingdom, however, I will be joining my lord in
      Golden Rivers in the West this spring.

      I enjoy shooting the longbow as well as singing and
      playing music upon the pennywhistle and psaltery.
      Because I play for dancing at events I am frequently
      at the mercy of dancers and dance masters who want to
      do out of period dances. I cringe regularly at the use
      of the word "bard" because a perfectly good Celtic job
      description has been turned into a bad catchall for
      anything that bears a remote resemblance to a
      "performing art."

      I hope to find out what the West offers in terms of
      music and archery when I get there later this year.

      Jehanne here endeth with wishes for peace and
      prosperity in the coming new year.
      --- Authentic_SCA Moderator
      <Authentic_SCA-owner@egroups.com> wrote:
      > My name is Moshe Mantega (aka Stephen Higa), a 12th
      > c. Jewish mystical poet from Spain.
      >
      > I have only been in the SCA for less than a year. :)
      > However, I have a major in history, and therefore
      > have been a little disappointed in terms of
      > "authenticity" and ambiance in the SCA. I am in the
      > Kingdom of the West, so I suppose that would explain
      > things. :)
      >
      > Anyways, this group has been set up to give all you
      > "Authenticity Mavens" out there a place to connect.
      > Excuse me, let me re-label ourselves:
      > "Authenticity-Fun Mavens." After all, ambiance and
      > amateur scholarship has everything to do with what's
      > fun about the SCA, am I right?
      >
      > I hope this eGroup is comforting. We can share
      > horror stories, and trade advice on becoming more
      > "perfect" in our anachronism.
      >
      > el Dio vos vala (I even try to use 12th c.
      > Spanish!),
      > Moshe Mantega

      =====
      When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • Stephen Higa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 11, 2001
        --- In Authentic_SCA@egroups.com, "Stephen Higa" <mitsuo@u...> wrote:
        (actually, "L Joseph" wrote, but in reply to the welcome message,
        which sent it to me, so I'm forwarding it :)

        Shalom, Doña Jehanne! I am Moshe Mantega, son of Yishma'el al-'Abri.

        > I've been getting in - no, make that "spirited
        > debates", a lady never fights - over the performance
        > of music in our Society and figured this might be a
        > place to meet some folks who aren't going to whine at
        > me about wanting to dance "Hole In The Wall".

        I am not familiar with this dance, but I do share your anguish at the
        lack of appropriate music at events!

        > For your information, I hail from a small manor on the
        > Avon in Wiltshire, about midway between the Stone
        > Henge and the bishopric of Salisbury where the new
        > cathedral is being planned.

        How wonderful! A house of prayer is always a welcome thing. I hail
        from the house of the illustrious merchant Shafiq ibn Wahib al-Khayyat
        'Abd al-Rahman al-Andalusi, where I enjoy his patronage as a poet and
        musician (albeit a Jewish one). The Christians have just taken this
        area back from the Moslem rulers in the south, so I must say that I am
        in Southern Castile. Interesting--my father as a boy would've called
        himself Andalusian!

        > Presently I reside in the
        > East Kingdom, however, I will be joining my lord in
        > Golden Rivers in the West this spring.

        Ah, the West! I hope to see you there!

        > I enjoy shooting the longbow as well as singing and
        > playing music upon the pennywhistle and psaltery.

        Nice! WHat is your period of musical interest?

        > Because I play for dancing at events I am frequently
        > at the mercy of dancers and dance masters who want to
        > do out of period dances.

        Oh, I'm sorry. One thing I can say for the West (at least where I am)
        is that we have a lot of good dance instructors who teach us only the
        period stuff.

        > I cringe regularly at the use
        > of the word "bard" because a perfectly good Celtic job
        > description has been turned into a bad catchall for
        > anything that bears a remote resemblance to a
        > "performing art."

        Yes, you make a good point, and I usually refrain from using that term
        (unless the person actually fits it, which I have yet to see ;)

        > I hope to find out what the West offers in terms of
        > music and archery when I get there later this year.

        I haven't seen much archery, and little [period] music, but you'll
        change all that, I'm sure :)

        > Jehanne here endeth with wishes for peace and
        > prosperity in the coming new year.

        Moshe, the servant of God (and secondly, King Alfonso), returns those
        greetings. May all follow their personal mitzvot and keep the
        Commandments of Moses! Remember: I believe it was Rabbi Hillel (of
        blessed memory) who reminded us that the essence of Torah is "do to
        others what you would have done to you"--all the rest is commentary.

        > --- Authentic_SCA Moderator
        > <Authentic_SCA-owner@egroups.com> wrote:
        > > My name is Moshe Mantega (aka Stephen Higa), a 12th
        > > c. Jewish mystical poet from Spain.
        > >
        > > I have only been in the SCA for less than a year. :)
        > > However, I have a major in history, and therefore
        > > have been a little disappointed in terms of
        > > "authenticity" and ambiance in the SCA. I am in the
        > > Kingdom of the West, so I suppose that would explain
        > > things. :)
        > >
        > > Anyways, this group has been set up to give all you
        > > "Authenticity Mavens" out there a place to connect.
        > > Excuse me, let me re-label ourselves:
        > > "Authenticity-Fun Mavens." After all, ambiance and
        > > amateur scholarship has everything to do with what's
        > > fun about the SCA, am I right?
        > >
        > > I hope this eGroup is comforting. We can share
        > > horror stories, and trade advice on becoming more
        > > "perfect" in our anachronism.
        > >
        > > el Dio vos vala (I even try to use 12th c.
        > > Spanish!),
        > > Moshe Mantega
        > >

        > =====
        > When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

        > http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • L Joseph
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 12, 2001
          --- Stephen Higa <mitsuo@...> wrote:
          > Shalom, Do�a Jehanne! I am Moshe Mantega, son of
          > Yishma'el al-'Abri.

          Pax vobiscum, my lord

          > How wonderful! A house of prayer is always a
          > welcome thing. I hail
          > from the house of the illustrious merchant Shafiq
          > ibn Wahib al-Khayyat
          > 'Abd al-Rahman al-Andalusi, where I enjoy his
          > patronage as a poet and
          > musician (albeit a Jewish one). The Christians have
          > just taken this
          > area back from the Moslem rulers in the south, so I
          > must say that I am
          > in Southern Castile. Interesting--my father as a
          > boy would've called
          > himself Andalusian!

          Ah, a lady of my acquaintance also hails from al
          Andaluz. Dona Ana Ravaya de Guzman is a talented
          singer and poet. I expect to see her this weekend at
          East Kingdom Twelfth Night and will mention this venue
          to her as I'm sure from her work she will be
          interested.

          > Ah, the West! I hope to see you there!
          I'm looking forward to it, though I will miss my
          friends here in Rusted Woodlands.

          > Nice! WHat is your period of musical interest?
          Better to say, what isn't? My tastes are extremely
          eclectic. I've been singing with a choir that does
          mostly late period polyphony (we have singers of
          varying skill levels and if you aren't used to the
          positively crunchy harmonies in earlier pieces, it's
          more difficult to absorb). I've done some Elizabethan
          songs by Dowland, and am currently working on trying
          to learn "Ja Nus Hon Pris" which is attributed to
          Richard Coeur de Lion, so I'm all over the map.
          Mundanely my music education consists of three years
          of piano lessons as a child so I'm self taught on
          whistle and psaltery and am learning as I go.
          little harder for some of our members to "get">

          > Oh, I'm sorry. One thing I can say for the West (at
          > least where I am) is that we have a lot of good
          > dance instructors who teach us only the
          > period stuff.
          I know. My lord, Vicomte Maitre Cai de Lyon, who just
          moved back out there, has his laurel in dance and will
          not do anything from Playford.

          > Yes, you make a good point, and I usually refrain
          > from using that term (unless the person actually
          > fits it, which I have yet to see ;)
          I prefer troubadour or minstrel, which are closer to
          what I do. Don't get me started on drunken louts who
          do SCA karaoke or the Dumbekistan Drum and Drum Corps.
          ;->

          > I haven't seen much archery, and little [period]
          > music, but you'll change all that, I'm sure :)
          We'll see. I will be as a stranger in a strange land.
          Surely there is someone in the cradle of SCA
          civilization who does period music. Nonetheless, I am
          frantically copying sheet music before I leave. If
          Golden Rivers doesn't yet have a choir I may have to
          start one.

          Cheers,
          Jehanne

          =====

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2001
            > Ah, a lady of my acquaintance also hails from al
            > Andaluz. Dona Ana Ravaya de Guzman is a talented
            > singer and poet. I expect to see her this weekend at
            > East Kingdom Twelfth Night and will mention this venue
            > to her as I'm sure from her work she will be
            > interested.

            Mucho vos lo gradesco.

            > I prefer troubadour or minstrel, which are closer to
            > what I do. Don't get me started on drunken louts who
            > do SCA karaoke or the Dumbekistan Drum and Drum Corps.
            > ;->

            Hee hee, my friend and I are always lamenting the lack of ANYTHING
            (ethnically accurate--not even necessarily period--dancing and
            costume, clothing) in the belly-dancers' circle.

            > We'll see. I will be as a stranger in a strange land.
            > Surely there is someone in the cradle of SCA
            > civilization who does period music.

            Well, rest assured that I do only period music. Most from around my
            period (12th c.) and in my area (Spain).

            > Nonetheless, I am
            > frantically copying sheet music before I leave. If
            > Golden Rivers doesn't yet have a choir I may have to
            > start one.

            Good! My dream is to put on a Mystery or Passion play, so we may
            recruit you guys for that. :) My other dream is to re-create a
            medieval Andalusian entertainment night with music, poetry,
            shadow-plays, dancers, etc... :)
          • L Joseph
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 16, 2001
              --- Stephen Higa <mitsuo@...> wrote:
              > Mucho vos lo gradesco.
              I forgot much of my high school Spanish, but I'd guess
              that was a "thank you." In period dialect, no less?

              > Hee hee, my friend and I are always lamenting the
              > lack of ANYTHING
              > (ethnically accurate--not even necessarily
              > period--dancing and
              > costume, clothing) in the belly-dancers' circle.
              Bloody Saracens. Not only are they infidels but they
              keep everyone up at night with their thumping and
              wriggling. ;->

              "Q: What is the difference between God and a dumbek
              player?
              A: God doesn't THINK he's can play the dumbek."

              > Well, rest assured that I do only period music.
              > Most from around my period (12th c.) and in my
              > area (Spain).
              I'll be interested to hear it. Not that I can't
              appreciate a clever filk, but there are plenty of
              folks already DOING that. My friend Ana does songs and
              stories in Spanish and is expressive enough I can
              usually get what they're about before she offers the
              translation.

              > Good! My dream is to put on a Mystery or Passion
              > play, so we may recruit you guys for that. :) My
              > other dream is to re-create a medieval Andalusian
              > entertainment night with music, poetry, shadow-
              > plays, dancers, etc... :)

              Sounds like it could be fascinating. (A friend who
              recently decided to do a Japanese persona thinks he'd
              some day like to put on a Noh play.) Anyway, I'll more
              than likely stand back and observe at my first few
              Western events and get a feel for the SCA culture out
              there before I begin stirring up trouble, eh?

              Cheers,
              Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)

              =====
              When longbows are outlawed, only outlaws will have longbows.

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/