Manesse/1320s surcote: fabric info

  • katherinejsanders
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2003
      Hi all
      I'm trying to organise a nice (sadly machine sewn this time) surcote
      to go over my re-jigged blue cote - see photos in Kat Sanders file.
      I'd like something a might fancier for an evening feast in about a
      month.

      So... I came across two wonderful images which correspond to surcotes
      in the manesse codex and are similar to that
      wonderful 'chessplayers/flying veil' picture in the Luttrell Psalter.

      to view them
      1. open up http://www.kb.nl/kb/manuscripts/browser/index.html
      2. Browse by subject
      3. Open categories "3. Human being, man in general"
      4. Then within that list "33. relations between individual persons"
      5. and in that list, "33c. relations between the sexes".
      The first image is on the very first page, no. 3, and the second is
      no. 14 on page 3.

      I'm almost sure now (after discussions!) that the fabric itself in
      image 14 was patterned, but what kind of fabric was it likely to have
      been? Light wool or even velvet would be good for evening (since my
      sturdy surcote is good for mud/outdoors) but the question is how to
      find something remotely authentic. Furniture fabric or that super-
      smooth velvet are my main options at the moment!!!

      Also: the ladies in the Manesse Codex wearing sleeveless surcoates
      seem to have a broad-ish gold band around the neckline. Would a
      typical ribbon/brocade be suitable substitute for hand-woven at short
      notice?

      thanks,
      Katherine
      p.s. I'm in Edinburgh, Scotland, where our choices are not bad but
      pretty limited.