Re: [Authentic_SCA] a word on wedge tents

  • Cannoneer
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 7, 2003
      At 07:48 AM 10/7/2003 -0700, you wrote:
      >I owned a bell-backed wedge tent for 5 years, and
      >hated nearly every minute of it. It was seemingly huge
      >(10'x16' and 9' tall) but as I am around 5'9" there
      >was only about a 2 foot corridor where I could stand
      >up straight. Plenty of floor space to pile stuff,
      >that's true, but rotten when trying to live in it at
      >Pennsic. On the other hand, it did go up/come down
      >very fast!
      >
      >=====
      >Lady Kateryn Rous, CP
      >House Broussard
      >Windmasters Hill

      Well, remember that the bell backed wedge is an 18th C military tent that
      is supposed to be approximately 7x9, not counting the bell. Frequently
      used by cavalry, the bell was for equipment storage. It was also designed
      for use by 4-6 soldiers, at least 2 of whom would be on duty or guard at
      any given time. It has never failed to amaze me that pavillion makers take
      a tent designed for one thing and expand the size and use it for something
      else. I've lived in my 7x9 flat backed wedge for over a week at a time. I
      keep one side of the door pegged closed, pile straw on that side and spread
      blankets over it, and put my chest and packbasket on the other side. I
      have a thin aisle down the center, which is the only place I can stand up.
      These tents are not designed for luxury living. They are campaign quarters
      for military troops.
      I have seen a similar style, the double bell wedge, with the door on the
      middle of one side, rather than the end. It certainly resembles some
      pavillions in manuscripts, but to my knowledge, no extant examples are
      around. Scale is notoriously difficult in manuscripts, but I would venture
      to say it is higher and has a flatter angle than the military wedge.

      Hawkyns

      Roderic Hawkyns
      Master Gunner

      Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl

      Its like I always say, you get more with a kind word and a two-by-four then
      with just a two-by-four - Marcus Cole