14th century pavilion lighting

  • notdukeolaf@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 4, 2003
      Bonjour,

      I am trying to find some sources for lighting in our pavilion. We are
      attempting to replicate as close to a period look and feel as you would have found in
      a pavilion in the 14th century. Our area of Interest is France, time period
      is roughly last half of the 14th century. Any help or direction from these
      lists will be most appreciated. Sorry if you get this more than once as I have
      posted to many of the lists that folks are on.

      Ich Dien

      Olaf Ulfbrandrsson

    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, notdukeolaf@a... wrote:
        > Bonjour,
        >
        > I am trying to find some sources for lighting in our pavilion.

        http://www.albionworks.net/misc.html shows a simple wooden chandelier
        based on a 15th century manuscript illumination. (These people make
        the most gorgeous reproduction furniture! Go have a look at the rest
        of their site.)

        Fire safety being an issue here in the West and me currently camping
        in a 7' high wedge tent which make fire powered lighting a Really
        Dumb Idea, I have opted for a wrought iron and frosted glass lantern
        with a battery powered fluorescent tube inside it. I need to tint the
        glass gold or orange because the effect is too white right now. It
        does, however, work. (Target carries fluorescent tubes approximately
        8' long in a pack of two for $9.99 and they run on AA batteries.)

        On the pavilion front, I have gone to enough events without Gaius
        that taking the 15' x 15' square with 17 poles was just dumb. I just
        got the wedge tent at a VERY reasonable price from a Civil War
        sutler. http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg31.htm shows some
        of their tentage. Mine is the "Great Wedge" and it's roomy enough for
        me, all my crap, and that of daytripping friends who wanted someplace
        to leave their gear. Two could camp comfortably for a weekend event
        but it might be too cramped for something like Pennsic. I plan on
        doing some heraldic decoration on the side walls as soon as I've made
        and duly contemplated some sketches.

        Cheers,
        Jehanne de Wodeford, West
      • Sunny Medlock
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
          Master Terafan Greydragon has made some that are based off of King
          Rene's. Here's the link:
          http://www.greydragon.org/furniture/chandeliers.html

          Elisabetta Morosini

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, notdukeolaf@a... wrote:
          > Bonjour,
          >
          > I am trying to find some sources for lighting in our pavilion. We
          are attempting to replicate as close to a period look and feel as you
          would have found in a pavilion in the 14th century. Our area of
          Interest is France, time period is roughly last half of the 14th
          century. Any help or direction from these lists will be most
          appreciated. Sorry if you get this more than once as I have
          > posted to many of the lists that folks are on.
          >
          > Ich Dien
          >
          > Olaf Ulfbrandrsson

        • Risa Strobel
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
            Jehanne-

            This looks like a great deal! I'd seriously thinking abou tgetting one
            of these now...Are you going to be camping any time soon? I'd love to
            see this tent set up before I spend the money on a poor college student
            budget.

            Risa
            On Monday, October 6, 2003, at 10:50 AM, wodeford wrote:

            > On the pavilion front, I have gone to enough events without Gaius
            > that taking the 15' x 15' square with 17 poles was just dumb. I just
            > got the wedge tent at a VERY reasonable price from a Civil War
            > sutler. http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg31.htm shows some
            > of their tentage. Mine is the "Great Wedge" and it's roomy enough for
            > me, all my crap, and that of daytripping friends who wanted someplace
            > to leave their gear. Two could camp comfortably for a weekend event
            > but it might be too cramped for something like Pennsic. I plan on
            > doing some heraldic decoration on the side walls as soon as I've made
            > and duly contemplated some sketches.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Jehanne de Wodeford, West

            > ---------------------~-->
            > Canada.
            > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/PJ_qlB/TM

          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Risa Strobel <rstrobel@c...>
              wrote:
              > This looks like a great deal!
              I thought so. The construction is nicely done, it's flame retardant
              and there's not a brass grommet in sight. Instead of ordering the set-
              up package (and paying shipping charges on lumber), I ordered their
              galvanized sleeve for making a break-down ridge pole out of 2x4's,
              picked up two 8' 2"x2"s and two 8' 2"x4"s, 10 12" spikes and washers,
              and some heavy duty nails at the hardware store. My tent is slightly
              smaller than advertised - the ridge length is about 11 1/2 feet
              instead of the 12' specified, and at 7 feet, my upright poles are
              about 3 inches too long, but these are tiny quibbles. Spring for the
              forged iron tent pegs, though. The spikes and washers are not as
              secure through the tape loops as the L shaped iron stakes and the
              difference in cost isn't that great.

              > Are you going to be camping any time soon?
              Possibly Cynagua Coronet at Rancho Seco in a couple of weeks, but
              after that, nothing until Estrella, maybe. (I'll hang my "cranky swan"
              banner so folks can spot the tent.)

              > I'd love to see this tent set up before I spend the money on a poor
              > college student budget.
              If I think of it, I'll see if I can get some interior and exterior
              photos to post with furnishings to show scale better than that lonely
              little picnic cooler Blockade Runner had in their shot.

              Jehanne
            • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 6, 2003
                Oil lamps? (i've heard of them being used sucessfully in tents)
                That is real medieval ones using olive oil or similar rather than fuel
                oil will be self extinguishing unless the actual wick touches your
                tent.
                Safer than candles, and if a naked flame is still too risky for you,
                probably easier to make a convincing fake oil lamp than a fake candle.

                Teffania (who just joined the crusade)

                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, notdukeolaf@a... wrote:
                > Bonjour,
                >
                > I am trying to find some sources for lighting in our pavilion. We
                are
                > attempting to replicate as close to a period look and feel as you
                would have found in
                > a pavilion in the 14th century. Our area of Interest is France, time
                period
                > is roughly last half of the 14th century. Any help or direction from
                these
                > lists will be most appreciated. Sorry if you get this more than once
                as I have
                > posted to many of the lists that folks are on.
                >
                > Ich Dien
                >
                > Olaf Ulfbrandrsson

              • wodeford
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania
                  Tukerton" <tbro3@s...> wrote:
                  > Oil lamps? (i've heard of them being used sucessfully in tents)

                  Part of me is wondering just how safe this actually is, however,
                  there are reproduction wick-and-oil lamps at
                  http://www.historicenterprises.com (Along with many other goodies! I
                  think I just found Twelfth Night prezzies for the minions of Chateau
                  des Singes!)

                  Jehanne
                • Aliskye
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                    I've been using candle lanterns. Probably not period, but they look
                    pretty good and they're enclosed so even if they get jostled around
                    nothing should happen. I picked up four a couple years ago at Ikea
                    and I had a couple from previous years. They get packed in a copier
                    paper box I covered in wood-patterned contact paper that some day
                    will get replaced with a small wood chest.

                    I'm very interested in pavilion furnishings right now, as next week
                    is GWW (Great Western War) and I'm just starting off down the path. :)

                    I have a 12.5 x 12.5 Regent pavilion, I've got my rugs, I have a
                    totally wonderful chair from Albionworks and I'm deciding what comes
                    next. I have a wood table I built a couple of years ago, but it
                    needs work/help/replacing. :)

                    aliskye (who is looking forward to War but not to packing :)

                  • hasoferet@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                      In a message dated 10/7/03 7:44:53 AM, wodeford@... writes:

                      << Part of me is wondering just how safe this actually is, however,

                      there are reproduction wick-and-oil lamps at

                      http://www.historicenterprises.com (Along with many other goodies! I

                      think I just found Twelfth Night prezzies for the minions of Chateau

                      des Singes!) >>

                      I shouldn't think it would be any worse than any other open flame, at least
                      if it's one of the covered sort, rather than the dish-of-sloshing-oil kind,
                      which tend to smoke hideously anyway. Wouldn't use it in a very small tent, never
                      leave unattended, and don't put down on the ground unless it's bare dirt or
                      paved, but I've used olive-oil menorahs and they work all right. Not bright,
                      though.

                      Raquel

                      +____________________________________+
                      Do not beg. Do not refuse. Preserve. Bestow.

                      --Colman mac Beognae, 'The Alphabet of Devotion
                    • wodeford
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, hasoferet@a... wrote:
                        >> I shouldn't think it would be any worse than any other open flame

                        Ah, but Raquel, I am a CLUTZ!

                        Jehanne de Smacked My Head On The Lantern Four Times Last Weekend
                      • Ii Saburou
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                          The advice I've gotten says that closed lamps are pretty good, but open
                          oil lamps aren't. In the latter case it is too easy to spill the oil and
                          cause a major fire danger (I've been told).

                          -Ii

                        • hasoferet@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                            In a message dated 10/7/03 5:27:09 PM, wodeford@... writes:

                            << >> I shouldn't think it would be any worse than any other open flame

                            >Ah, but Raquel, I am a CLUTZ!

                            >Jehanne de Smacked My Head On The Lantern Four Times Last Weekend >>

                            Hmmm. I'm sure there were clutzes in period...

                            Raquel, who sometimes also does a header into the lantern...

                            +____________________________________+
                            Do not beg. Do not refuse. Preserve. Bestow.

                            --Colman mac Beognae, 'The Alphabet of Devotion
                          • Chris Laning
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                              At 7:53 PM -0400 10/7/03, hasoferet@... wrote:
                              >I shouldn't think it would be any worse than any other open flame, at least
                              >if it's one of the covered sort, rather than the dish-of-sloshing-oil kind,
                              >which tend to smoke hideously anyway. Wouldn't use it in a very
                              >small tent, never
                              >leave unattended, and don't put down on the ground unless it's bare dirt or
                              >paved, but I've used olive-oil menorahs and they work all right. Not bright,
                              >though.

                              There's the additional complication too, that "safe" and "meets the
                              Kingdom fire regulations" are not necessarily synonymous -- though on
                              the whole the rules (at least in the West) are pretty sensible. I
                              would expect oil lamps to be regarded as a bit more dubious than
                              candles, though, since there is the possibility of oils spills.

                              (We are paranoid about open flames out here, since there is NO rain
                              -- none, zip, nada -- during most of our camping season. The mundane
                              fire marshals are, if anything, even more paranoid, and we like to
                              keep them happy too. Fire paranoia doesn't seem to come quite so
                              automatically to people who live in wetter areas.... <g>)
                              O (Lady) Christian de Holacombe
                              | Chris Laning <claning@...>
                              + Shire of Windy Meads - Davis, California
                            • hasoferet@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                                In a message dated 10/7/03 7:48:47 PM, claning@... writes:

                                << (We are paranoid about open flames out here, since there is NO rain
                                >-- none, zip, nada -- during most of our camping season. The mundane
                                >fire marshals are, if anything, even more paranoid, and we like to
                                >keep them happy too. Fire paranoia doesn't seem to come quite so
                                >automatically to people who live in wetter areas.... <g>) >>

                                Yeah, I'm a local girl. (SF Bay Area) That was totally without reference to
                                actual fire regulations...but since the Fort Ord site has been allowing no
                                fires at all for a while--or whatever it is, I've been missing events--yeah--open
                                flames scare folks.

                                Raquel

                                +____________________________________+
                                Do not beg. Do not refuse. Preserve. Bestow.

                                --Colman mac Beognae, 'The Alphabet of Devotion
                              • Charlotte Zificsak
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 7, 2003
                                  > if it's one of the covered sort, rather than the
                                  > dish-of-sloshing-oil kind,
                                  > which tend to smoke hideously anyway. Wouldn't use it in a very

                                  How much smoke it puts off all depends on how much of the wick is
                                  exposed. Less wick, less smoke.

                                  > The advice I've gotten says that closed lamps are pretty good, but
                                  > open
                                  > oil lamps aren't. In the latter case it is too easy to spill the
                                  > oil and
                                  > cause a major fire danger (I've been told).

                                  If the lamp uses olive oil, this isn't really a danger. Olive oil on
                                  its own won't burn, it needs a wick. If the lamp spills for some
                                  reason, the olive oil will generally put out its own flame. If you're
                                  making a lamp to set on a table, you can put water at the bottom of
                                  the container, and when it runs out of oil it will also extinguish
                                  itself, thereby saving your table top.

                                  -Mathilde

                                  http://shopping.yahoo.com
                                • katherinejsanders
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 8, 2003
                                    Hi
                                    I know this company is british but they do beautiful, beautiful
                                    things and they're not too expensive really and they're v. friendly.
                                    Oh, you want their name?! (doh)
                                    they're called 'Sweetness and Light' and are to be found at
                                    www.candlemaker.org.uk
                                    Happy browsing!