Re: closings for necklaces

  • Lady_Lark_Azure
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
      > While we're on jewelry. I'm not sure where I got this (maybe it was
      > from this very group) but I think thos is worth a good look:
      >
      > http://www.lesenluminures.com/ringsexhibition.htm

      Ok, add some of those to the "if I won the lottery..." list.

      Sigh,
      Isabeau
    • uxbridgefox
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
        I have been using simple hook and loop or fancy s-hooks for the
        necklaces I've been making.

        I would also enjoy hearing other people's ideas.

        These two links are to earlier period extant pieces found. The
        necklaces seem to be strung on wire that is looped together at the
        ends. But the site does not say if the necklaces were found that way
        or they restrung them.

        http://www.ancienttouch.com/migration_period%20jewelry.htm
        http://www.ancienttouch.com/ancientbeads-necklaces.htm

        This site has a few pictures from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I
        have a book with pictures of Jewelry from the Met and the only
        complete necklace they showed was Etruscan and it had a plaque on one
        end with two holes and a plaque on the other end with two slightly
        bent prongs to fit the holes.
        http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/medny/daenzer2.html

        this site has some interesting info on jewelry.
        http://www.florentine-persona.com/renjewelry.html

        Good Luck.

        Eleanor le Brun
      • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
          I've heard that necklaces could end in two loops which were tied
          together with ribbon. It's more secure than a hook and eye (I lost a
          really nice garnet hook and eye necklace when it fell off on the way
          to an open air court). Certainly a number of the examples in the book
          below end in two metal loops. (I can't recall the book discussing
          fastenings, but then I was mostly looking at the pictures, not reading
          all the text).

          Lastly a lovely reference: (lovely medeival stuff, including a chapter
          on rosaries, unless you're a 12th century englishwoman, like me)
          Dubin, Lois Sherr. 1987 "The history of beads : from 30,000 B.C. to
          the present " H.N. Abrams (New York)

          Teffania

          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Perdomo Machin
          <marianne@h...> wrote:
          > Greetings!
          >
          > I'd like to get a simple bead necklace, but I am wondering what
          would
          > be an acceptably period (or even impeccably period, if not too
          > difficult) closing for such a necklace. It would be quite narrow,
          > almost like a choker, so it won't go over the head.
        • wodeford
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
            <marianne@h...> wrote:
            > While we're on jewelry. I'm not sure where I got this (maybe it was
            > from this very group) but I think thos is worth a good look:
            >
            > http://www.lesenluminures.com/ringsexhibition.htm

            For those who are drooling:

            http://www.medievalwares.com/metalwork.htm

            His stuff is really nice! I bought a sterling stirrup ring with a
            green sapphire from this gentleman this weekend and it's lovely.

            Jehanne de Wodeford
          • rowen_g
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
              <marianne@h...> wrote:
              > Greetings!
              >
              > I'd like to get a simple bead necklace, but I am wondering what
              would
              > be an acceptably period (or even impeccably period, if not too
              > difficult) closing for such a necklace. It would be quite narrow,
              > almost like a choker, so it won't go over the head.
              >
              > Any ideas?

              I just uploaded a file with a sketch of a modern "S-clasp" of a sort I
              like to use, together with the sketch of a 15th-16th c one from a
              London excavation. (Drawings snipped from the handout of the class
              I'll be teaching at KWCS.)

              Rowen
            • Marianne Perdomo Machin
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003
                Greetings!

                And many, many thanks for the info! Both options soung good and even
                look easy (gasp!). Now if only I could get my hands on that book! <sigh>

                Cheers!

                Marianne, who'll soon have to go to web-only because she's going on
                holiday... :)