closings for necklaces

  • Marianne Perdomo Machin
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
      Greetings!

      I'd like to get a simple bead necklace, but I am wondering what would
      be an acceptably period (or even impeccably period, if not too
      difficult) closing for such a necklace. It would be quite narrow,
      almost like a choker, so it won't go over the head.

      Any ideas?

      While we're on jewelry. I'm not sure where I got this (maybe it was
      from this very group) but I think thos is worth a good look:

      http://www.lesenluminures.com/ringsexhibition.htm

      Cheers!

      Marianne
    • Lady_Lark_Azure
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
        > While we're on jewelry. I'm not sure where I got this (maybe it was
        > from this very group) but I think thos is worth a good look:
        >
        > http://www.lesenluminures.com/ringsexhibition.htm

        Ok, add some of those to the "if I won the lottery..." list.

        Sigh,
        Isabeau
      • uxbridgefox
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2003
          I have been using simple hook and loop or fancy s-hooks for the
          necklaces I've been making.

          I would also enjoy hearing other people's ideas.

          These two links are to earlier period extant pieces found. The
          necklaces seem to be strung on wire that is looped together at the
          ends. But the site does not say if the necklaces were found that way
          or they restrung them.

          http://www.ancienttouch.com/migration_period%20jewelry.htm
          http://www.ancienttouch.com/ancientbeads-necklaces.htm

          This site has a few pictures from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I
          have a book with pictures of Jewelry from the Met and the only
          complete necklace they showed was Etruscan and it had a plaque on one
          end with two holes and a plaque on the other end with two slightly
          bent prongs to fit the holes.
          http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/medny/daenzer2.html

          this site has some interesting info on jewelry.
          http://www.florentine-persona.com/renjewelry.html

          Good Luck.

          Eleanor le Brun
        • Tiffany Brown / Lady Teffania Tukerton
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2003
            I've heard that necklaces could end in two loops which were tied
            together with ribbon. It's more secure than a hook and eye (I lost a
            really nice garnet hook and eye necklace when it fell off on the way
            to an open air court). Certainly a number of the examples in the book
            below end in two metal loops. (I can't recall the book discussing
            fastenings, but then I was mostly looking at the pictures, not reading
            all the text).

            Lastly a lovely reference: (lovely medeival stuff, including a chapter
            on rosaries, unless you're a 12th century englishwoman, like me)
            Dubin, Lois Sherr. 1987 "The history of beads : from 30,000 B.C. to
            the present " H.N. Abrams (New York)

            Teffania

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, Marianne Perdomo Machin
            <marianne@h...> wrote:
            > Greetings!
            >
            > I'd like to get a simple bead necklace, but I am wondering what
            would
            > be an acceptably period (or even impeccably period, if not too
            > difficult) closing for such a necklace. It would be quite narrow,
            > almost like a choker, so it won't go over the head.
          • wodeford
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
              <marianne@h...> wrote:
              > While we're on jewelry. I'm not sure where I got this (maybe it was
              > from this very group) but I think thos is worth a good look:
              >
              > http://www.lesenluminures.com/ringsexhibition.htm

              For those who are drooling:

              http://www.medievalwares.com/metalwork.htm

              His stuff is really nice! I bought a sterling stirrup ring with a
              green sapphire from this gentleman this weekend and it's lovely.

              Jehanne de Wodeford
            • rowen_g
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2003
                <marianne@h...> wrote:
                > Greetings!
                >
                > I'd like to get a simple bead necklace, but I am wondering what
                would
                > be an acceptably period (or even impeccably period, if not too
                > difficult) closing for such a necklace. It would be quite narrow,
                > almost like a choker, so it won't go over the head.
                >
                > Any ideas?

                I just uploaded a file with a sketch of a modern "S-clasp" of a sort I
                like to use, together with the sketch of a 15th-16th c one from a
                London excavation. (Drawings snipped from the handout of the class
                I'll be teaching at KWCS.)

                Rowen
              • Marianne Perdomo Machin
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003
                  Greetings!

                  And many, many thanks for the info! Both options soung good and even
                  look easy (gasp!). Now if only I could get my hands on that book! <sigh>

                  Cheers!

                  Marianne, who'll soon have to go to web-only because she's going on
                  holiday... :)