Re: [Authentic_SCA] Greetings

  • Tom Knighton
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
      Welcome to the list Sir Camric! I knew we had a few similar interests from your posts on the ArmourArchive, but I'm looking at updating my kit to about that same time period. Wierd, but I promise I'm not stalking ya! ;o)

      Bran mac Scandlan

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "csgelpi" <csgelpi@y...> wrote:
        > You can see some of my work here:
        > http://community.webshots.com/user/grnshield

        Hello, welcome and may I say WOW! Your Norman kit is awesome!

        Jehanne de Wodeford, West Kingdom
      • aheilvei
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
          > > You can see some of my work here:
          > > http://community.webshots.com/user/grnshield
          >
          > Hello, welcome and may I say WOW! Your Norman kit is awesome!

          And I Second that!!!!!

          Despina
        • Grece Fitz Huwe
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 3, 2003
            Greetings Green Shield. I do believe I may be one of your
            descendents. Let me introduce myself: my name is Grece
            Fitz Huwe and I am from 1360's Ireland. <G>

            Welcome to the list. Please as lots of questions as we
            all learn when questions are asked and answered.

            Grece Fitz Huwe, the .... <---fill in the blank

            Bene legere saecla vincere
            (To read well is to master the ages)

            Yahoo nickname: ladygrace_fitzhugh

          • Anthony Partin
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
              Greetings lords and ladies all,

              I have just joined this list out of curiosity more than anything. I
              am Syr Anton Cwith, i live in the Shire of Ffynnon Gath in the
              southern region of Ansteorra. As some of you are probably well aware
              of, Ansteorrans live in mundane tents by and large. I would like to
              set about on the task of remedying this, at least within my
              household. I would like advice on the cheapest and easiest way to
              make period tents. I suspect that a standart Viking or Saxon style A-
              frame would be the best, but you are the experts. Please give me
              links, tips, and any other ideas you think I'll need in this endeavor.

              In service to the Dream,
              Syr Anton Cwith
            • wodeford
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Partin"
                <marchoganton@h...> wrote:
                > I have just joined this list out of curiosity more than anything. I
                > am Syr Anton Cwith, i live in the Shire of Ffynnon Gath in the
                > southern region of Ansteorra. As some of you are probably well aware
                > of, Ansteorrans live in mundane tents by and large. I would like to
                > set about on the task of remedying this, at least within my
                > household. I would like advice on the cheapest and easiest way to
                > make period tents. I suspect that a standart Viking or Saxon style A-
                > frame would be the best, but you are the experts. Please give me
                > links, tips, and any other ideas you think I'll need in this endeavor.

                You're in luck, Sylvie just posted links to her two tentage projects
                in a previous message:
                I have not experienced the glory of the "Taj", but she did a great job
                on her wedge tent and I know she can probably point you at some other
                resources.

                Not having the time or a heavy enough sewing machine, my wedge is
                store-bought from a Civil War sutler. (www.blockaderunner.com) I'm
                quite pleased with it and should really send them a photo of the
                heraldic painting I put on it to mess with their tiny CSA minds.

                If you are tall or claustrophobic and don't like the idea of the walls
                closing in on you, a wedge, A-frame or geteld may not be your best bet.

                Welcome,
                Jehanne de Wodeford, Province of the Mists, West Kingdom
              • Wanda Pease
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 20, 2005
                  First Advice,

                  Sign onto the Medieval Encampments e-mail list at
                  MedievalEncampments@yahoogroups.com People here from beginner to expert
                  (some make the tents for sale.

                  Regina_SCA@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf
                  Of wodeford

                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Partin"
                  <marchoganton@h...
                  I suspect that a standart Viking or Saxon style A-
                  > frame would be the best, but you are the experts. Please give me
                  > links, tips, and any other ideas you think I'll need in this
                  endeavor.

                • Amy Heilveil
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 21, 2005
                    Sir Anton,

                    I would also suggest speaking with Maestra Giovonna (who posted
                    yesterday on a tent topic), as she has her laurel in tent-making and
                    is *very* good at giving directions and tips for making it as
                    inexpensive as possible while still period and not dangerous. :)

                    Smiles,
                    Despina de la welcome to the list
                  • Rachael
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 19, 2005
                      Greetings unto you all,
                      I just wanted to wish each of you a brief hello, I just joined, I'm
                      researching 11th/12th/13th century southern France, esp Gascogne esp
                      esp Armagnac. I'm likely to spend a lot of time lurking as I listen,
                      plan garb etc. I won't mention how we've just finished covering our
                      modern sunshade in canvas and muslin to make it look a little more
                      period as a cheap alternative to breaking down and getting a pavilion,
                      but I will say our goal is to make our site and our kit steadily more
                      period in nature.
                      Anyway this was SUPPOSED to be brief.
                      Au Revoir,
                      Rachael ( Nichole de Gascogne {for now it's still an evolving persona})
                    • jeffrey.heilveil@ndsu.edu
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 19, 2005
                        Greetings and Welcome to the list Nichole!

                        Well, I know Paris is not in Gascony, but here's the closest I have
                        sitting around to help food-wise:

                        "This is an unabridged transcription of the food and cookery chapter of Le
                        Ménagier de Paris (a medieval manuscript dated to circa 1393), edited by
                        Jérome Pichon in 1846 for La Société Des Bibliophiles François"
                        http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/
                        (the text there is in French, but has links to English copies)

                        Welcome and may you enjoy and contribute to the list.

                        Cu drag,
                        Bogdan

                        Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
                        Postdoctoral Fellow
                        Department of Biological Sciences
                        North Dakota State University
                        Stevens Hall
                        Fargo, ND 58105
                        jeffrey.heilveil@...
                      • Rachael
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 19, 2005
                          Enchanté Monsieur Bogdan,
                          Je ne parle pas Francais bien , mais Je vous remercie.
                          A bientot',
                          Nichole de Gascogne

                          ( A pleasure to meet you Mr. Bogdan, I don't speak french well (
                          yet ), but I thank you ( none-the-less ) See you around, Nichole )

                          --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, jeffrey.heilveil@n... wrote:
                          > Greetings and Welcome to the list Nichole!
                          >
                          > Well, I know Paris is not in Gascony, but here's the closest I have
                          > sitting around to help food-wise:
                          >
                          > "This is an unabridged transcription of the food and cookery
                          chapter of Le
                          > Ménagier de Paris (a medieval manuscript dated to circa 1393),
                          edited by
                          > Jérome Pichon in 1846 for La Société Des Bibliophiles François"
                          > http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/menagier/
                          > (the text there is in French, but has links to English copies)
                          >
                          > Welcome and may you enjoy and contribute to the list.
                          >
                          > Cu drag,
                          > Bogdan

                          > Jeffrey S. Heilveil, Ph.D.
                          > Postdoctoral Fellow
                          > Department of Biological Sciences
                          > North Dakota State University
                          > Stevens Hall
                          > Fargo, ND 58105
                          > jeffrey.heilveil@n...
                        • phil Collins
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                            Hello My name is Constaine Valens(well actually Thomas) I am intrested in talking with men and women who are intrested in the Late Roman and Dark ages periods. I am here to make friends with people who are into living history but like me are limited to the local SCA. I am always looking for events to go to. If any know wishes to know anything about the Late Roman and Early Dark Ages, 400 AD-600 AD please contact me. Cheers Caius Valens (Thomas)

                          • Frederick
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 13, 2006
                              Hello,

                              I know there is a celtic/dark age re-enacting group where I live
                              (Connecticut) they have a good site to look at pictures

                              http://www.celtlearn.org/index.php

                              and one in Canada (forgot that site)

                              I was going to start a Pict group, but so far I can't find out enough
                              start with.

                              ~Frederick~
                            • phil Collins
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 14, 2006
                                Salve Constaine Valens here Thank you for the reponse however they seem too early for me as they seem Pre-Roman. However you did mention Dark Ages in your E-mail. Do you know if they have any Dark Ages members in the group? Hope to here fom you cheers Constaine Thomas R

                                Frederick <ctmajr@...> wrot

                              • asackville@juno.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 16, 2006
                                  Thanks for the link to the Celtic site. It's way, way, way too early
                                  for anything I do, but it'll be a fantastic resourse when I want
                                  further study into that era.

                                  Fionnuala