Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Pregnant Garb

  • ysfael@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
      From the lurker side of the fence...
      When my wife was pregnant, someone suggested an Italian Ren(sp?). The
      garb, which was side laced, worked very well from the end of the first
      trimester, when she made it, through 14 mos. of breast feeding and on up to the
      event last week (not the same one mind you). My youngest is 4 years old. The
      woman who helped her make her first one did it in a single day.
      Also, I would imagine that a middle-eastern persona gwazi coat
      (forgive my spelling please) would work quite well.

      My .02,
      Ysfael

      re-engaging cloaked mode...............

    • Marsha McLean
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
        Actually, the gwazi coat is rather post-period. It would be nice,
        though, if it weren't.

        Italian is a good idea. Heck, a houppelande would rock as well.
        Anything that gives bust support and lots of belly space.

        Madinia

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Generys ferch Ednuyed
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
          That reminds me of a 12th night I was at - I saw a lady wearing a LOVELY
          blue houppelande with fur trim - and she had the PERFECT silhouette,
          straight out of the paintings... since this is the period I like to play, I
          went over and asked her what her secret was....

          She was 6 months pregnant... :-) Not quite the answer I was hoping for,
          lol.

          Generys

          Lady Generys ferch Ednuyed ap Madauc
          Chatelaine, Canton of Kappellenberg
          Barony of Windmaster's Hill, Kingdom of Atlantia

          Actually, the gwazi coat is rather post-period. It would be nice,
          though, if it weren't.

          Italian is a good idea. Heck, a houppelande would rock as well.
          Anything that gives bust support and lots of belly space.

          Madinia

        • Sunny Medlock
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
            If you are going Italian, I would recomend either Venetian (very high
            waisted, but very ornate) or Florentine (waist is just above the
            lower rib, and very simple) from about 1475-1500 modified for side
            lacing.

            I have also seen a book dealing with this and I am trying to find
            it. I think it might be: Maternity Fashion (The Twentieth Century-
            Histories of Fashion Series) by Doretta Davanzo Poli (Hardcover -
            April 1997). I have to go to the library to check for my self.

            Elisabetta Morosini

            --Finally back from a 2 year break--

            --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ysfael@a... wrote:
            > From the lurker side of the fence...
            > When my wife was pregnant, someone suggested an Italian Ren
            (sp?)....
            > My .02,
            > Ysfael
            >
            > re-engaging cloaked mode...............
          • Elizabeth Walpole
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
                <snip>
                For Cotes I've bookmarked this site and if it's the one I'm thinking of it
                >has an explanation of Robin Netherton's theory on "Gothic fitted dress"
                >construction with photos http://www.geocities.com/ariedin/index.html
                the site I was actually looking for is La Cotte Simple & at this address
                http://www.cottesimple.com/
                Sorry
                Elizabeth

                ----
                Elizabeth Beaumont
                MKA:
                Elizabeth Walpole
                Politarchopolis, Lochac
                ewalpole@...

                People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
                is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
                there is light from within.
                Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

                The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
                to the ages of other women.
                Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.
              • Karrissa Thayer
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 9, 2003
                  Of course when I need the picture I cannot find it.

                  There is a picture of a pregnant Virgin Mary in a blue gammura. She is in
                  between to other people helping her lace it. One can see the lacing in both
                  the front as well as the sides.

                  Anabela