Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Pregnant Garb

  • Dave & Megan
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
      I always favored Peplos/Chiton style. They are excruciatingly simple to make, and fit everyone. And still work out post maternity they're just looser. :)

      Gwenhyfar
      .
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
        From the lurker side of the fence...
        When my wife was pregnant, someone suggested an Italian Ren(sp?). The
        garb, which was side laced, worked very well from the end of the first
        trimester, when she made it, through 14 mos. of breast feeding and on up to the
        event last week (not the same one mind you). My youngest is 4 years old. The
        woman who helped her make her first one did it in a single day.
        Also, I would imagine that a middle-eastern persona gwazi coat
        (forgive my spelling please) would work quite well.

        My .02,
        Ysfael

        re-engaging cloaked mode...............

      • Marsha McLean
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
          Actually, the gwazi coat is rather post-period. It would be nice,
          though, if it weren't.

          Italian is a good idea. Heck, a houppelande would rock as well.
          Anything that gives bust support and lots of belly space.

          Madinia

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Generys ferch Ednuyed
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
            That reminds me of a 12th night I was at - I saw a lady wearing a LOVELY
            blue houppelande with fur trim - and she had the PERFECT silhouette,
            straight out of the paintings... since this is the period I like to play, I
            went over and asked her what her secret was....

            She was 6 months pregnant... :-) Not quite the answer I was hoping for,
            lol.

            Generys

            Lady Generys ferch Ednuyed ap Madauc
            Chatelaine, Canton of Kappellenberg
            Barony of Windmaster's Hill, Kingdom of Atlantia

            Actually, the gwazi coat is rather post-period. It would be nice,
            though, if it weren't.

            Italian is a good idea. Heck, a houppelande would rock as well.
            Anything that gives bust support and lots of belly space.

            Madinia

          • Sunny Medlock
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
              If you are going Italian, I would recomend either Venetian (very high
              waisted, but very ornate) or Florentine (waist is just above the
              lower rib, and very simple) from about 1475-1500 modified for side
              lacing.

              I have also seen a book dealing with this and I am trying to find
              it. I think it might be: Maternity Fashion (The Twentieth Century-
              Histories of Fashion Series) by Doretta Davanzo Poli (Hardcover -
              April 1997). I have to go to the library to check for my self.

              Elisabetta Morosini

              --Finally back from a 2 year break--

              --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ysfael@a... wrote:
              > From the lurker side of the fence...
              > When my wife was pregnant, someone suggested an Italian Ren
              (sp?)....
              > My .02,
              > Ysfael
              >
              > re-engaging cloaked mode...............
            • Elizabeth Walpole
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
                  <snip>
                  For Cotes I've bookmarked this site and if it's the one I'm thinking of it
                  >has an explanation of Robin Netherton's theory on "Gothic fitted dress"
                  >construction with photos http://www.geocities.com/ariedin/index.html
                  the site I was actually looking for is La Cotte Simple & at this address
                  http://www.cottesimple.com/
                  Sorry
                  Elizabeth

                  ----
                  Elizabeth Beaumont
                  MKA:
                  Elizabeth Walpole
                  Politarchopolis, Lochac
                  ewalpole@...

                  People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
                  is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
                  there is light from within.
                  Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

                  The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
                  to the ages of other women.
                  Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.
                • Karrissa Thayer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 9, 2003
                    Of course when I need the picture I cannot find it.

                    There is a picture of a pregnant Virgin Mary in a blue gammura. She is in
                    between to other people helping her lace it. One can see the lacing in both
                    the front as well as the sides.

                    Anabela