Re: [Authentic_SCA] Pregnant Garb

  • Victoria McDonnell
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
      On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 07:51 AM, Kate wrote:

      > I have an event in 2 weeks and I just realised I am way too pregnant
      > to wear any of my garb.

      You just now realised you're way too pregnant? LOL, sorry, I read that
      wrong at first, it's early, and I had a giggle. Maybe a sideless
      surcote with a roomy tunic/kirtle? Not much to them, I would imagine
      they're perfect for pregnancy. I do later period and wore my gown
      laced open while I was pregnant.

      Victoria McDonnell
      aka Isibél inghean mhic Dhomhnaill
    • Marsha McLean
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
        There is a portrait of a very pregnant woman (Mildred Coke?). Late
        Elizabethan. She is wearing a normal Elizabethan gown, front lacing,
        laced over her tummy. She has a special stomacher pinned over the
        opening, made in a broad U shape to accommodate the large area. It's
        actually pretty cool looking. I wanted to do one of those when I was
        preggers, but never had the time.

        Madinia

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Dave & Megan
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
          I always favored Peplos/Chiton style. They are excruciatingly simple to make, and fit everyone. And still work out post maternity they're just looser. :)

          Gwenhyfar
          .
          > I have an event in 2 weeks and I just realised I am way too
          pregnant to wear any of my garb.
          *snip*
          any good sites/suggestions for patterns or pictures I could look
          at.

          Hi Kate,

          I highly suggest looking into the groups archives.

          The following messages are pertinent to your question, as are others
          in the archives:
          35036
          35038
          35040
          35052
          35158
          35168

          Smiles,
          Despina

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • ysfael@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
            From the lurker side of the fence...
            When my wife was pregnant, someone suggested an Italian Ren(sp?). The
            garb, which was side laced, worked very well from the end of the first
            trimester, when she made it, through 14 mos. of breast feeding and on up to the
            event last week (not the same one mind you). My youngest is 4 years old. The
            woman who helped her make her first one did it in a single day.
            Also, I would imagine that a middle-eastern persona gwazi coat
            (forgive my spelling please) would work quite well.

            My .02,
            Ysfael

            re-engaging cloaked mode...............

          • Marsha McLean
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
              Actually, the gwazi coat is rather post-period. It would be nice,
              though, if it weren't.

              Italian is a good idea. Heck, a houppelande would rock as well.
              Anything that gives bust support and lots of belly space.

              Madinia

            • Generys ferch Ednuyed
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                That reminds me of a 12th night I was at - I saw a lady wearing a LOVELY
                blue houppelande with fur trim - and she had the PERFECT silhouette,
                straight out of the paintings... since this is the period I like to play, I
                went over and asked her what her secret was....

                She was 6 months pregnant... :-) Not quite the answer I was hoping for,
                lol.

                Generys

                Lady Generys ferch Ednuyed ap Madauc
                Chatelaine, Canton of Kappellenberg
                Barony of Windmaster's Hill, Kingdom of Atlantia

                Actually, the gwazi coat is rather post-period. It would be nice,
                though, if it weren't.

                Italian is a good idea. Heck, a houppelande would rock as well.
                Anything that gives bust support and lots of belly space.

                Madinia

              • Sunny Medlock
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                  If you are going Italian, I would recomend either Venetian (very high
                  waisted, but very ornate) or Florentine (waist is just above the
                  lower rib, and very simple) from about 1475-1500 modified for side
                  lacing.

                  I have also seen a book dealing with this and I am trying to find
                  it. I think it might be: Maternity Fashion (The Twentieth Century-
                  Histories of Fashion Series) by Doretta Davanzo Poli (Hardcover -
                  April 1997). I have to go to the library to check for my self.

                  Elisabetta Morosini

                  --Finally back from a 2 year break--

                  --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ysfael@a... wrote:
                  > From the lurker side of the fence...
                  > When my wife was pregnant, someone suggested an Italian Ren
                  (sp?)....
                  > My .02,
                  > Ysfael
                  >
                  > re-engaging cloaked mode...............
                • Elizabeth Walpole
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
                      <snip>
                      For Cotes I've bookmarked this site and if it's the one I'm thinking of it
                      >has an explanation of Robin Netherton's theory on "Gothic fitted dress"
                      >construction with photos http://www.geocities.com/ariedin/index.html
                      the site I was actually looking for is La Cotte Simple & at this address
                      http://www.cottesimple.com/
                      Sorry
                      Elizabeth

                      ----
                      Elizabeth Beaumont
                      MKA:
                      Elizabeth Walpole
                      Politarchopolis, Lochac
                      ewalpole@...

                      People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
                      is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
                      there is light from within.
                      Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

                      The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
                      to the ages of other women.
                      Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.
                    • Karrissa Thayer
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 9, 2003
                        Of course when I need the picture I cannot find it.

                        There is a picture of a pregnant Virgin Mary in a blue gammura. She is in
                        between to other people helping her lace it. One can see the lacing in both
                        the front as well as the sides.

                        Anabela