Re: [Authentic_SCA] Pregnant Garb

  • Victoria McDonnell
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
      On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 07:51 AM, Kate wrote:

      > I have an event in 2 weeks and I just realised I am way too pregnant
      > to wear any of my garb.

      You just now realised you're way too pregnant? LOL, sorry, I read that
      wrong at first, it's early, and I had a giggle. Maybe a sideless
      surcote with a roomy tunic/kirtle? Not much to them, I would imagine
      they're perfect for pregnancy. I do later period and wore my gown
      laced open while I was pregnant.

      Victoria McDonnell
      aka Isibél inghean mhic Dhomhnaill
    • Marian Llynn Hilliard
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
        On 10/2/03 2:51 PM, ladycatalyst@... wrote:

        > I have an event in 2 weeks and I just realised I am way too pregnant
        > to wear any of my garb. I was thinking of making a side laced gown
        > so I could wear it after the baby is born and I am wondering if you
        > all have any good sites/suggestions for patterns or pictures I could
        > look at. I prefer early period even though I haven't gotten my
        > persona figured out yet.
        > Thanks
        > Kate in NC

        What did pregnant women do in period? I don't think I've ever seen any
        mention of it in any of the books I've read. Anybody know?

        Given how expensive fabric was, and how even plain garments were
        passed down from one generation to another, I doubt they made a whole
        new outfit. Or maybe they did, and just passed the "maternity kirtle"
        down with the rest of the garb. =)

        Margaret de Greyve
      • Marsha McLean
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
          There is a portrait of a very pregnant woman (Mildred Coke?). Late
          Elizabethan. She is wearing a normal Elizabethan gown, front lacing,
          laced over her tummy. She has a special stomacher pinned over the
          opening, made in a broad U shape to accommodate the large area. It's
          actually pretty cool looking. I wanted to do one of those when I was
          preggers, but never had the time.

          Madinia

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Dave & Megan
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
            I always favored Peplos/Chiton style. They are excruciatingly simple to make, and fit everyone. And still work out post maternity they're just looser. :)

            Gwenhyfar
            .
            > I have an event in 2 weeks and I just realised I am way too
            pregnant to wear any of my garb.
            *snip*
            any good sites/suggestions for patterns or pictures I could look
            at.

            Hi Kate,

            I highly suggest looking into the groups archives.

            The following messages are pertinent to your question, as are others
            in the archives:
            35036
            35038
            35040
            35052
            35158
            35168

            Smiles,
            Despina

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • ysfael@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
              From the lurker side of the fence...
              When my wife was pregnant, someone suggested an Italian Ren(sp?). The
              garb, which was side laced, worked very well from the end of the first
              trimester, when she made it, through 14 mos. of breast feeding and on up to the
              event last week (not the same one mind you). My youngest is 4 years old. The
              woman who helped her make her first one did it in a single day.
              Also, I would imagine that a middle-eastern persona gwazi coat
              (forgive my spelling please) would work quite well.

              My .02,
              Ysfael

              re-engaging cloaked mode...............

            • Marsha McLean
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                Actually, the gwazi coat is rather post-period. It would be nice,
                though, if it weren't.

                Italian is a good idea. Heck, a houppelande would rock as well.
                Anything that gives bust support and lots of belly space.

                Madinia

              • Generys ferch Ednuyed
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                  That reminds me of a 12th night I was at - I saw a lady wearing a LOVELY
                  blue houppelande with fur trim - and she had the PERFECT silhouette,
                  straight out of the paintings... since this is the period I like to play, I
                  went over and asked her what her secret was....

                  She was 6 months pregnant... :-) Not quite the answer I was hoping for,
                  lol.

                  Generys

                  Lady Generys ferch Ednuyed ap Madauc
                  Chatelaine, Canton of Kappellenberg
                  Barony of Windmaster's Hill, Kingdom of Atlantia

                  Actually, the gwazi coat is rather post-period. It would be nice,
                  though, if it weren't.

                  Italian is a good idea. Heck, a houppelande would rock as well.
                  Anything that gives bust support and lots of belly space.

                  Madinia

                • Sunny Medlock
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                    If you are going Italian, I would recomend either Venetian (very high
                    waisted, but very ornate) or Florentine (waist is just above the
                    lower rib, and very simple) from about 1475-1500 modified for side
                    lacing.

                    I have also seen a book dealing with this and I am trying to find
                    it. I think it might be: Maternity Fashion (The Twentieth Century-
                    Histories of Fashion Series) by Doretta Davanzo Poli (Hardcover -
                    April 1997). I have to go to the library to check for my self.

                    Elisabetta Morosini

                    --Finally back from a 2 year break--

                    --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ysfael@a... wrote:
                    > From the lurker side of the fence...
                    > When my wife was pregnant, someone suggested an Italian Ren
                    (sp?)....
                    > My .02,
                    > Ysfael
                    >
                    > re-engaging cloaked mode...............
                  • Elizabeth Walpole
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
                        <snip>
                        For Cotes I've bookmarked this site and if it's the one I'm thinking of it
                        >has an explanation of Robin Netherton's theory on "Gothic fitted dress"
                        >construction with photos http://www.geocities.com/ariedin/index.html
                        the site I was actually looking for is La Cotte Simple & at this address
                        http://www.cottesimple.com/
                        Sorry
                        Elizabeth

                        ----
                        Elizabeth Beaumont
                        MKA:
                        Elizabeth Walpole
                        Politarchopolis, Lochac
                        ewalpole@...

                        People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
                        is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
                        there is light from within.
                        Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

                        The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
                        to the ages of other women.
                        Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.
                      • Karrissa Thayer
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 9, 2003
                          Of course when I need the picture I cannot find it.

                          There is a picture of a pregnant Virgin Mary in a blue gammura. She is in
                          between to other people helping her lace it. One can see the lacing in both
                          the front as well as the sides.

                          Anabela