Pregnant Garb

  • Kate
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
      I have an event in 2 weeks and I just realised I am way too pregnant
      to wear any of my garb. I was thinking of making a side laced gown
      so I could wear it after the baby is born and I am wondering if you
      all have any good sites/suggestions for patterns or pictures I could
      look at. I prefer early period even though I haven't gotten my
      persona figured out yet.
      Thanks
      Kate in NC
    • aheilvei
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Kate" <ladycatalyst@h...>
        wrote:
        > I have an event in 2 weeks and I just realised I am way too
        pregnant to wear any of my garb.
        *snip*
        any good sites/suggestions for patterns or pictures I could look
        at.

        Hi Kate,

        I highly suggest looking into the groups archives.

        The following messages are pertinent to your question, as are others
        in the archives:
        35036
        35038
        35040
        35052
        35158
        35168

        Smiles,
        Despina
      • Victoria McDonnell
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
          On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 07:51 AM, Kate wrote:

          > I have an event in 2 weeks and I just realised I am way too pregnant
          > to wear any of my garb.

          You just now realised you're way too pregnant? LOL, sorry, I read that
          wrong at first, it's early, and I had a giggle. Maybe a sideless
          surcote with a roomy tunic/kirtle? Not much to them, I would imagine
          they're perfect for pregnancy. I do later period and wore my gown
          laced open while I was pregnant.

          Victoria McDonnell
          aka Isibél inghean mhic Dhomhnaill
        • Marian Llynn Hilliard
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
            On 10/2/03 2:51 PM, ladycatalyst@... wrote:

            > I have an event in 2 weeks and I just realised I am way too pregnant
            > to wear any of my garb. I was thinking of making a side laced gown
            > so I could wear it after the baby is born and I am wondering if you
            > all have any good sites/suggestions for patterns or pictures I could
            > look at. I prefer early period even though I haven't gotten my
            > persona figured out yet.
            > Thanks
            > Kate in NC

            What did pregnant women do in period? I don't think I've ever seen any
            mention of it in any of the books I've read. Anybody know?

            Given how expensive fabric was, and how even plain garments were
            passed down from one generation to another, I doubt they made a whole
            new outfit. Or maybe they did, and just passed the "maternity kirtle"
            down with the rest of the garb. =)

            Margaret de Greyve
          • Marsha McLean
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
              There is a portrait of a very pregnant woman (Mildred Coke?). Late
              Elizabethan. She is wearing a normal Elizabethan gown, front lacing,
              laced over her tummy. She has a special stomacher pinned over the
              opening, made in a broad U shape to accommodate the large area. It's
              actually pretty cool looking. I wanted to do one of those when I was
              preggers, but never had the time.

              Madinia

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • Dave & Megan
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                I always favored Peplos/Chiton style. They are excruciatingly simple to make, and fit everyone. And still work out post maternity they're just looser. :)

                Gwenhyfar
                .
                > I have an event in 2 weeks and I just realised I am way too
                pregnant to wear any of my garb.
                *snip*
                any good sites/suggestions for patterns or pictures I could look
                at.

                Hi Kate,

                I highly suggest looking into the groups archives.

                The following messages are pertinent to your question, as are others
                in the archives:
                35036
                35038
                35040
                35052
                35158
                35168

                Smiles,
                Despina

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • ysfael@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                  From the lurker side of the fence...
                  When my wife was pregnant, someone suggested an Italian Ren(sp?). The
                  garb, which was side laced, worked very well from the end of the first
                  trimester, when she made it, through 14 mos. of breast feeding and on up to the
                  event last week (not the same one mind you). My youngest is 4 years old. The
                  woman who helped her make her first one did it in a single day.
                  Also, I would imagine that a middle-eastern persona gwazi coat
                  (forgive my spelling please) would work quite well.

                  My .02,
                  Ysfael

                  re-engaging cloaked mode...............

                • Marsha McLean
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 2, 2003
                    Actually, the gwazi coat is rather post-period. It would be nice,
                    though, if it weren't.

                    Italian is a good idea. Heck, a houppelande would rock as well.
                    Anything that gives bust support and lots of belly space.

                    Madinia

                  • Generys ferch Ednuyed
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                      That reminds me of a 12th night I was at - I saw a lady wearing a LOVELY
                      blue houppelande with fur trim - and she had the PERFECT silhouette,
                      straight out of the paintings... since this is the period I like to play, I
                      went over and asked her what her secret was....

                      She was 6 months pregnant... :-) Not quite the answer I was hoping for,
                      lol.

                      Generys

                      Lady Generys ferch Ednuyed ap Madauc
                      Chatelaine, Canton of Kappellenberg
                      Barony of Windmaster's Hill, Kingdom of Atlantia

                      Actually, the gwazi coat is rather post-period. It would be nice,
                      though, if it weren't.

                      Italian is a good idea. Heck, a houppelande would rock as well.
                      Anything that gives bust support and lots of belly space.

                      Madinia

                    • Sunny Medlock
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 3, 2003
                        If you are going Italian, I would recomend either Venetian (very high
                        waisted, but very ornate) or Florentine (waist is just above the
                        lower rib, and very simple) from about 1475-1500 modified for side
                        lacing.

                        I have also seen a book dealing with this and I am trying to find
                        it. I think it might be: Maternity Fashion (The Twentieth Century-
                        Histories of Fashion Series) by Doretta Davanzo Poli (Hardcover -
                        April 1997). I have to go to the library to check for my self.

                        Elisabetta Morosini

                        --Finally back from a 2 year break--

                        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, ysfael@a... wrote:
                        > From the lurker side of the fence...
                        > When my wife was pregnant, someone suggested an Italian Ren
                        (sp?)....
                        > My .02,
                        > Ysfael
                        >
                        > re-engaging cloaked mode...............
                      • Elizabeth Walpole
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 4, 2003
                            <snip>
                            For Cotes I've bookmarked this site and if it's the one I'm thinking of it
                            >has an explanation of Robin Netherton's theory on "Gothic fitted dress"
                            >construction with photos http://www.geocities.com/ariedin/index.html
                            the site I was actually looking for is La Cotte Simple & at this address
                            http://www.cottesimple.com/
                            Sorry
                            Elizabeth

                            ----
                            Elizabeth Beaumont
                            MKA:
                            Elizabeth Walpole
                            Politarchopolis, Lochac
                            ewalpole@...

                            People are like stained glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun
                            is out, but when the darkness sets in ,their true beauty is revealed only if
                            there is light from within.
                            Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

                            The years that a woman subtracts from her age are not lost. They are added
                            to the ages of other women.
                            Diane de Poitiers (1499-1566) Attrib.
                          • Karrissa Thayer
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 9, 2003
                              Of course when I need the picture I cannot find it.

                              There is a picture of a pregnant Virgin Mary in a blue gammura. She is in
                              between to other people helping her lace it. One can see the lacing in both
                              the front as well as the sides.

                              Anabela