Fwd: Well turned leg

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2003
      Any ideas on what book this may be so we can help the lady?

      Smiles,
      Despina

      >>>Embarressed by your skinny legs? Wish you could have that Well Turned
      >>>Leg so fashionable at court these days? Well, go Viking no more! Here
      >>>is undoubtly one of the oddest things I have seen of late, falsies for
      >>>your legs.
      >

      >>actually I'm pretty sure this is a period thing, leg falsies...
      >
      >It is a period thing. It was mentioned in a book on court dress in the
      >time of Henry the VII. It was also done in the times of the cotehardie
      >and houppeland. I really wish I could remember the book. It described
      >how the hose were pre-stuffed to look just right.
      >
      >Erzsebet
    • wodeford
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 26, 2003
        --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil"
        <aheilvei@u...> wrote:
        > Any ideas on what book this may be so we can help the lady?

        No, but it reminds me of the day I spent helping Kass and Bob
        assemble finery for their Colonial Christmas ball. Bob's blue velvet
        coat required "falsies" sewn into the front to achieve the correct
        18th century pigeon breasted profile.

        Scroll through
        http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/18thc/gallery.html to see them
        in their finery - and the schlubby ladies maid in the frumpy cap with
        Kass is me. ;->

        Jehanne